7mm PRC Dies

I have gone away from the fancy bushing dies in favor of custom honed Forster dies. They hone the die to give your desired neck tension with your brass and projectile. If needed, the seating stem is also honed to match your projectile.

I have always wanted to try the RCBS Matchmaster, so that is where I went. Unfortunately, I am too busy trying to get my 280AI squared away for my hunt to play with the 7PRC.

Bumping this. I have some Peterson brass on order, a few powders and bullets to try.

All of my other die sets are the standard RCBS in a Rockchucker, and they have worked fine for me, and I usually can put together a load that shoots 0.5" - 1 MOA.

I am going to be expecting more out of the 7 PRC, although would go with more expensive dies, if needed. I don't expect to get as particular as some match shooters, but would like to get a good .5 MOA load that I can shoot game out to 700-800 yds.. This will be my long range elk gun.

Do all of the 7prc bushings come with a bullet seating stem for high BC bullets, since that is what it is intended for? I plan to try the 175 EOL, 175 ELD-X, 175 ABLR.

Hornady and Redding dies will work in the Rockchucker, right?

Looking at the Hornady Match dies. Are the differences here the neck bushings and the ease of use fine tuning bullet seating depth? Are the neck bushings more for going easier on the brass, or do you see some accuracy gains?

I currently use custom honed Forster but before that I was using Hornady with their micrometer and the VLD seating stem. I believe that is what it came with. No accuracy gains for me switching to the Forster ultra micrometer.

For what it's worth I got rid of bushing dies after watching the Whidden video on choosing the right die. It's one less thing to worry about and he talks about getting better brass consistency with non bushing dies. I figured since he sells mostly bushing dies I could trust his opinion.

Last edited:
Yes the Hornady dies will work in your Rockchucker! I recommend the hornady die to get consistent neck tension. I have seen a noticeable difference in speed consistency (accuracy) with the match grade dies and neck bushings vs my conventional dies. I run a labradar to confirm my extreme spread, which you will need to do if you plan to shoot at 700-800 yds (one mans opinion). The difference in speed consistency is staggering when I compare (20-30 FPS vs 75-100 fps)

Consider looking at Berger projectiles, and increased grains for that range ,Your kinetic energy and stability will be much better. However the ELD-x is no slouch!

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

I do plan on trying the 175 Berger EOL, and I know others have had great luck with the 168 and 180 hybrids. I have always liked the Accubond style of bullet, but the frangible bullets seem to be the consensus with these true long range setups.

I will probably just go with the Hornady match set. Can I tell which neck bushings to get based on the Peterson brass neck thickness, or is this a trial-and-error test that is gun specific?

I would recommend looking at the case specs from Preston whatever they have listed as the O.D. on the spec sheet is where I would start and go down 1 or 2 thousandths. When I order them I usually order 3 just to cover my bases and avoid delays and shipping costs. They are relatively inexpensive IMO.

I picked up the Hornady match grade dies. Now figuring out neck bushing size.....

I watched the Hornady video on picking a bushing size.
I am getting around 0.016 on the unfired Peterson brass. I Just used my regular calipers, not ball calipers they suggest. Does that sound about right? I am guessing that Peterson is 1 or 2 thousandths thicker than Hornaday? I haven't measured brass thickness before and this is my first time getting dies with neck bushings.

When I used their values of .003 for neck tension and subtract 0.001 for springback, this puts me at a 0.314. I noticed this almost the max size for 7mm. Does this sound right? Any other reasons I would want to go with a different bushing size?

So, they only variables in selecting bushing size are the brass thickness and the tension you want? I had assumed that it had to do with the rifle chamber and I would be measuring fired brass, but that doesn't come into play?

I currently use custom honed Forster but before that I was using Hornady with their micrometer and the VLD seating stem. I believe that is what it came with. No accuracy gains for me switching to the Forster ultra micrometer.

For what it's worth I got rid of bushing dies after watching the Whidden video on choosing the right die. It's one less thing to worry about and he talks about getting better brass consistency with non bushing dies. I figured since he sells mostly bushing dies I could trust his opinion.
I love my Forster Die Press and lack of worry about setting up the bushing every single time.... I am going to purchase Forster dies when my gun arrives for 7mm PRC. Did you get the Forster Benchrest Seater die? Does it require a different seating stem for High BC bullets?

I love my Forster Die Press and lack of worry about setting up the bushing every single time.... I am going to purchase Forster dies when my gun arrives for 7mm PRC. Did you get the Forster Benchrest Seater die? Does it require a different seating stem for High BC bullets?
I sent brass and projectiles in together. They will hone the stem to match your projectiles. I can not say if it made a difference or not but I figured I could not hurt. I do not have any seating marks on my projectiles. Hope that helps. I use the Ultramicrometer seaters.

Last edited:
If you’re looking for the best. Highly recommend Bullet Centrals Precision Micron dies. Both the FL sizer and inline seater.

I have Redding, RCBS, Hornady, Lee, and Wilson dies and have anything from basic sets to full blown match bushing dies.
I didn't feel like spending a lot of money when everything is in such short supply, so here's what I did:
Bought a box of 190 A-tips, 50 rounds of Peterson brass, using CCI #34 LRP, H1000, and a Hornady new Dimention die set outfitted with a 190 A-tip seating stem. I full length size, trim, and chamfer with a VLD cutter. I'll work up a load using a ladder in 2 Grain increments at OAL Once desired load/accuracy is attained, lock it down, and adjust my tuner brake.
At 72 I don't plan on any high-country expeditions, and I can't walk a competitive long rang course because my body is falling apart. But for popping milk jugs at 500-800 yards out in the deserts of Nevada it will be fine.
I can't see why this set up won't work well. After over 50 years of reloading, I try to keep things simple.
Since Hornady designed the cartridge and the bullet I've chosen, it makes since to use their dies!

Back