#7 Tripods: the best accessory

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Without a doubt, the tripod is the best accessory to your rifle system. You may not need one, want one, or believe me.

But, the tripod is without a doubt the most versatile too when considered. Proof is in the pudding. While practical rifle matches don't ban heavy and impractical rifles, they don't ban any accessory as regularly as a tripod. They do ban and discourage the use of tripods because they make tripods are so effective they subvert the intended difficulty. Stages are purposefully written to exclude their use, and if allowed, the rules make it hard to deploy for the time limit.

In the field, they provide the hunter an immensely valuable platform. Hmmm

A tripod can be used like a tree limb, fence post, wall, rock, or other natural feature we would otherwise use to steady our shots. But a tripod is portable, adjustable, and has the benefit of locking the rifle into position. You might not want a portable shooting rest, but it is available.

Shooting sticks and monopods are part of many rifleman's tool kit. The tripod is an improved version of the crossed shooting sticks. We all know the effectiveness of shooting sticks. Sticks can be faster and perfectly effective, but the tripod adds a third leg and more stability. While a shooting stick can increase your range, a tripod can double or triple the effective range. Do you need that? Its up to you of course.

It can act as a bipod. With a wider base and three points of contact, the tripod can be more solid. The drawback is larger size, so functionally, you may choose a bipod.

A tripod can adapt to the contour of the land to provide a comfortable and easy shooting position. In the field, I believe this provides highest value. High grass, bushes, uneven ground, steep side of a hill, rocks, and more, the tripod adapts. If you can stand and see it, you can deploy a tripod almost 100% of the time and far increase your hit percentage over any other method.

From prone, even in perfect situations, my back and neck fatigue. With fatigue comes muscle tension and tremors. Maintaining a prone position is difficult for most except the young and flexible.

Unlike prone, many tripod positions regularly put the body in a neutral and relaxed position that can be maintained for a very long time without tiring or stiffness.

Personally, I have focused on three basic tripod positions. From one them, I can shoot out to 1000 yards proficiently. One position is effectively as stable as prone.

When buying a tripod for shooting, focus on total "weight rating". There is no standard, but just find one with the features you want and the highest rating possible. The same is for the head you choose. I can use a "wobbly" tripod, but it requires much more focus and control ovee my rifle and it limits the available positions. Almost always it increases the wobble, and up to 1 moa or more depending on position.

I have commented and shared my experience with tripods on many threads. Future tips will include specifics for tripod selection and positional shooting off a tripod.

Like everything, there are tips, tricks, and pitfalls. Practice will hone your skills. You may get to the point like me and at least a dozen other shooters I know that leave the bipod at home when we hunt, because we carry the most versatile rifleman's tool, the tripod.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Keep up the great content!

Would appreciate you sharing how you practice with tripod deployment in dry fire. For example do you set up something like a DFAT/IOTA and just practice dry firing on an animal?

Would be awesome if there were a YouTube video or Powerpoint that had actual footage of animals to practice on at a reasonable distance without being a nature show.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Keep up the great content!

Would appreciate you sharing how you practice with tripod deployment in dry fire. For example do you set up something like a DFAT/IOTA and just practice dry firing on an animal?

Would be awesome if there were a YouTube video or Powerpoint that had actual footage of animals to practice on at a reasonable distance without being a nature show.
Thanks. I am starting just that, some tripod video content.

I dryfire on stuff I can see around the yard, nothing special. Its about getting the reticle settled. I am too lazy to do much more, lol.

Buck197

WKR
We actually just got a bogpod to jack with this week, just tried a couple of short shots with it, I'm I'm bit concerned on the weight of the aluminum deathgrip, and the carbon only drops a pound I think, going to play with it more tomorrow, but while concerned, I think the weight may be very worthwhile. Ive never been a bipod guy, ive shot off the pack, and.more often than not just sitting. Any thoughts on the bogpod tripod, or what may be a better alternative? The weight worries me but also adds alot of stability.

I recently went down the tripod rabbit hole with some helpful insight from @hereinaz. Last fall I packed around a bipod on my rifle with leg extensions to hopefully see over the grass out here in WY. I rarely got a chance to use it and it ended up riding in my pack most of the time. I also tried using a monopod for glassing with my 12x binos because I didn't want to pack my heavy tripod around. They we a tad too shaky to really get my money's worth outta them without some sort of support.

I couldn't justify/afford an RRS setup, so I set out to find a cheaper alternative. It still wasn't cheap, but it replaced my monopod, older vanguard aluminum tripod, long legged harris bipod, shooting sticks, and it's does a better job than any of those things did that they were designed to do. PXL_20201122_210523167.jpgPXL_20210306_004447344.jpg

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We actually just got a bogpod to jack with this week, just tried a couple of short shots with it, I'm I'm bit concerned on the weight of the aluminum deathgrip, and the carbon only drops a pound I think, going to play with it more tomorrow, but while concerned, I think the weight may be very worthwhile. Ive never been a bipod guy, ive shot off the pack, and.more often than not just sitting. Any thoughts on the bogpod tripod, or what may be a better alternative? The weight worries me but also adds alot of stability.
If you get a tripod with a head and put a plate on the rifle, you can save some weight.

There are other lighter alternatives, take a look through the tripod threads.

Do you have a tripod you glass with?

What sort of shots will you encounter?

How far will you be shooting?

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Once you give a tripod a go, it can absolutely change your shooting.
I recently went down the tripod rabbit hole with some helpful insight from @hereinaz. Last fall I packed around a bipod on my rifle with leg extensions to hopefully see over the grass out here in WY. I rarely got a chance to use it and it ended up riding in my pack most of the time. I also tried using a monopod for glassing with my 12x binos because I didn't want to pack my heavy tripod around. They we a tad too shaky to really get my money's worth outta them without some sort of support.

I couldn't justify/afford an RRS setup, so I set out to find a cheaper alternative. It still wasn't cheap, but it replaced my monopod, older vanguard aluminum tripod, long legged harris bipod, shooting sticks, and it's does a better job than any of those things did that they were designed to do. View attachment 276021View attachment 276022

Buck197

WKR
If you get a tripod with a head and put a plate on the rifle, you can save some weight.

There are other lighter alternatives, take a look through the tripod threads.

Do you have a tripod you glass with?

What sort of shots will you encounter?

How far will you be shooting?
I've started looking a little at tripods. I've always used a pack, or prone, or a sitting, and of course offhand etc. I've taken shots to about 600, I'm a little older nowadays so I sure try not to take em that long..But all in all it really depends. I'd put it at 6 max, hopefully won't take em that long anymore. My shots can go from flatland, to rolling hills to cross canyon up and down etc etc. I ignored all this new gear for so damned long now im.behind so many good things. I love that bogpod, however I can sure see it being a huge pain also, and I've never been a bipod guy, although never given em a thorough try either. I've scoped off a tripod, never put a head on one to shoot. I've glassed mostly offhand.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've started looking a little at tripods. I've always used a pack, or prone, or a sitting, and of course offhand etc. I've taken shots to about 600, I'm a little older nowadays so I sure try not to take em that long..But all in all it really depends. I'd put it at 6 max, hopefully won't take em that long anymore. My shots can go from flatland, to rolling hills to cross canyon up and down etc etc. I ignored all this new gear for so damned long now im.behind so many good things. I love that bogpod, however I can sure see it being a huge pain also, and I've never been a bipod guy, although never given em a thorough try either. I've scoped off a tripod, never put a head on one to shoot. I've glassed mostly offhand.
A good tripod could make shooting inside 600 easy in any field condition.

Inside 300/400 with a seated or kneeling position, most any but the wobbliest tripod will work shooting from a clamp style, although I prefer locking in or shooting off a bag over the top.

Once you get to 400, the tripod strength starts to make a bigger difference.

Best thing to do is take what you have and start shooting off it for fun. Give it a go and see what you like.

I certainly like glassing off a tripod as much as shooting and I spend far more time glassing.

Where and what do you hunt that you mostly handhold binos?

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll also mention for the guys running clamps that a direct attachment is way faster.

I started with a clamp. It was serviceable when shooting but took too much time for most field situations. It’s one extra piece to dig out of a pack, takes time to clamp your rifle into, and isn’t as steady as a direct attachment.

IMO don’t waste the money on a clamp unless your sitting in one spot with the rifle setup.

Buck197

WKR
A good tripod could make shooting inside 600 easy in any field condition.

Inside 300/400 with a seated or kneeling position, most any but the wobbliest tripod will work shooting from a clamp style, although I prefer locking in or shooting off a bag over the top.

Once you get to 400, the tripod strength starts to make a bigger difference.

Best thing to do is take what you have and start shooting off it for fun. Give it a go and see what you like.

I certainly like glassing off a tripod as much as shooting and I spend far more time glassing.

Where and what do you hunt that you mostly handhold binos?
Elk, Muley, whitetail. So looking at the different tripods, I see some at 1200, and while I sure don't mind spending money, to me that seems obscene. Any suggestions tripod wise?

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Elk, Muley, whitetail. So looking at the different tripods, I see some at 1200, and while I sure don't mind spending money, to me that seems obscene. Any suggestions tripod wise?
I suggest starting with a "cheap" one like the Innorel or Leofoto from Amazon. They are absolutely usable, and can be a backup if you upgrade. You can troll through the tripod threads for specific ideas.

I have used them from cheap to RRS. You can certainly do good work with all of them. The weight rating is the one that matters. They are not universal, just go high as you can.

Generally, find one with the features you want and has the highest weight rating possible for the feature set. Same with the head. I suggest a good ball head, high weight rating. But, I used a simple ball head for a long time.

Center columns are less stable, but they are able to work while sitting/shooting quite well. The center column precludes using it prone.

Buck197

WKR
I suggest starting with a "cheap" one like the Innorel or Leofoto from Amazon. They are absolutely usable, and can be a backup if you upgrade. You can troll through the tripod threads for specific ideas.

I have used them from cheap to RRS. You can certainly do good work with all of them. The weight rating is the one that matters. They are not universal, just go high as you can.

Generally, find one with the features you want and has the highest weight rating possible for the feature set. Same with the head. I suggest a good ball head, high weight rating. But, I used a simple ball head for a long time.

Center columns are less stable, but they are able to work while sitting/shooting quite well. The center column precludes using it prone.
Thats perfect, thank you, you gave me ALOT of usable info there hoss. I've browsed through some of the threads on tripods, and had seen a brand some were using, and I glanced I believe Doug had em for a couple of bills or so, so had thought it may be a good place to go. I wish to God I'd found rokslide years ago. Haven't used and definitely not enjoyed forums in years til here the past few months. This is fantastic to gear check yourself, as well as just general info, and good folks.
Whereabouts in AZ, if I may ask? I love this bogpod my partner bought, and while it's pretty dang stable, I'm just thinking it'll be alot when I'm on the move. I've done pretty well just doing and using the same stuff I have for years and years, but lord when I found rokslide I discovered I am so far behind the times on gear..horribly so.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thats perfect, thank you, you gave me ALOT of usable info there hoss. I've browsed through some of the threads on tripods, and had seen a brand some were using, and I glanced I believe Doug had em for a couple of bills or so, so had thought it may be a good place to go. I wish to God I'd found rokslide years ago. Haven't used and definitely not enjoyed forums in years til here the past few months. This is fantastic to gear check yourself, as well as just general info, and good folks.
Whereabouts in AZ, if I may ask?
East Valley, metro Phoenix

Calling @gr8fuldoug is a good start at Cameraland. Also, look at the Rokslide classifieds for used stuff.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn't react to the $1200.00 obscene comment, but I wish I had a couple of those tripods... Like many things, there are diminishing returns as the cost increases. But, dang, they really are just that much better that eventually I will pull together enough to run a RRS tripod. Frankly, I am waiting until they do a little more shooting specific type work. Only recently are we getting tripods specifically made for the shooter, and specifically the hunter in mind.

In the meantime, less expensive tripods are perfectly suitable as a permanent or temporary solution.

Lawnboi

WKR
Never shoot off an RRS if you don’t want to spend it!

A couple years ago if you told me I’d be spending 1200$ on a tripod I would have laughed. It is that useful of a tool to me, and if I had to do it again I would.

Buck197

WKR
Yall have convinced me to stay the heck away from the RRS, as I'm like a kid with toys, so yeah steer clear and save 12 bills haha. You guys are awesome. Thank you all so much.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Never shoot off an RRS if you don’t want to spend it!

A couple years ago if you told me I’d be spending 1200$ on a tripod I would have laughed. It is that useful of a tool to me, and if I had to do it again I would.

And, never look through Swaro or Kowa spotters unless you have 2k...

Well @hereinaz I haven't ever shot off a RRS, but I did shoot off my Leofoto/Field Optics setup and it is a great balance between size and stability. Sitting with only the first section extended, it was solid. Standing it takes a little more work, but that was a compromise I was willing to make to not carry around a massive tripod. I've got less than $400 in it total and a little time making an adapter.

I think I might attach a tiny ball head to my bino adapter and leave it all together to drop into the Arca clamp. Ill have to play around with it.