7 SAUM Support

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if 7 SAUM is even supported anymore? Tried to look for go/no go gages and I found a go gage no no-go gage. Trying to order from one spot but seems like bullets are one shop, die sets another with not one retailer looking to retain any stock. Maybe proof needs to no longer offer this.

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Best bet for brass is to look in gun forum classified I just sold off mine as I'm going another direction.

7 saum is huge in the competition world. Unknown munitions has adg brass on back order and they produce every 6 months. So if you want it order it now. They also have Redding and whidden die sets in stock on their site. The components world is crazy now and it’s basically buy where you can get it. There is also a rumor that Peterson will be making brass at some point as well. I am currently building a 7 saum for hunting right now. With the world of rifle building right now you have time to collect components. Maybe even reach out unknown could maybe even make you go no go gauges out of a dummy round or something not sure.

WKR
Not sure what companies gauges you're looking at, but check to see if they list interchangeable gauges like PTG does:
Screenshot_20230401-075321.png

... or just do what I do and put a few pieces of tape on the base of the go gauge to make it the right size for a no-go gauge.

Regarding your last statement, it would make no sense at all for a barrel manufacturer to stop offering a chambering just because some retailer can't keep everything in stock for someone to get fully set up to build and reload for a new rifle. Think of all the guys who are already set up and are working on shooting out their current 7 SAUM Proof barrels.

OP
K

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what companies gauges you're looking at, but check to see if they list interchangeable gauges like PTG does:
View attachment 537596

... or just do what I do and put a few pieces of tape on the base of the go gauge to make it the right size for a no-go gauge.

Regarding your last statement, it would make no sense at all for a barrel manufacturer to stop offering a chambering just because some retailer can't keep everything in stock for someone to get fully set up to build and reload for a new rifle. Think of all the guys who are already set up and are working on shooting out their current 7 SAUM Proof barrels.
That chart is great. I was searching PTG’s site albeit on my phone but couldnt find it. Thank you.

Maybe proof needs to no longer offer this.

Come on. it’s a niche offering that isn’t supported by the cartridge creator but that doesn’t mean lots of people who understand the availability limitations don’t still want or shoot SAUMs.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Come on. it’s a niche offering that isn’t supported by the cartridge creator but that doesn’t mean lots of people who understand the availability limitations don’t still want or shoot SAUMs.
Yep. If you want to shoot factory ammo then get a 7PRC. If you reload, there’s no excuse not to shoot a 7saum if that’s what you want. I like the idea of the 7saum over the 7PRC for a handloader. I don’t think the extra fps of the 7PRC in a comparable short barrel is worth the 8-9 grains of powder.

OP
K

kong

Lil-Rokslider
thank you everyone for the background.

Last edited:

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
If you are interested there is norma brass available now plus a few boutique ammo makers are selling loaded ammo for the 7 saum. I'm heavily contemplating buying some for a future build if I don't do the rokslide default tikka t3x 6.5 cm