7 PRC Load Data with 195 EOL?

LFC911

WKR
Anyone work up a load yet with a Berger 195 EOL and their 7PRC? I am planning to do so with my CA Ridgeline...I have RL26 and Retumbo. Also want to try some N570 but there is none available locally. I was at Scheel's over the weekend and there was no 7PRC data in the Hornady or Nosler books that were on the shelf, so I looked at 7mm Rem Mag and Wby Mag for reference. Hornady had the 190gr A-Tip Match and Nosler had nothing over 185gr for any of them. Am I stupid for trying this? Any feedback would be appreciated. TIA

ZKPete

FNG
How did it end up? I have been building up my load with 195's using Retumbo, I am at 64.2 Grain and .020 off the Lans. I am running 2590FPS which I am happy with as well. I will say this has been the hardest load to build up yet. I am running a CA ridgeline

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
How did it end up? I have been building up my load with 195's using Retumbo, I am at 64.2 Grain and .020 off the Lans. I am running 2590FPS which I am happy with as well. I will say this has been the hardest load to build up yet. I am running a CA ridgeline
I was having pressure signs well below max load and got the 180 ELD-M's to shoot good with no pressure at 2800 fps, so I abandoned the 195's...I was using Hornady brass, which may be a bit softer than ADG or others on the market.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Wow a tad surprised the 195s aren't coming out a bit quicker in the PRC.

My 23” WSM was shooting them at 2775fps based on my old notes.

I assumed the longer neck and OAL of PRC would support more than that in a LA.

ZKPete

FNG
I was having pressure signs well below max load and got the 180 ELD-M's to shoot good with no pressure at 2800 fps, so I abandoned the 195's...I was using Hornady brass, which may be a bit softer than ADG or others on the market.
That seems to be the common way to go! I am going to run out and see how she shoots this weekend, If its not perfect I am jumping ship to the 180.

ZKPete

FNG
Wow a tad surprised the 195s aren't coming out a bit quicker in the PRC.

My 23” WSM was shooting them at 2775fps based on my old notes.

I assumed the longer neck and OAL of PRC would support more than that in a LA.
I can get them to scoot a bit more, I am 3 grains off the max (Per Retumbo Data). I have seen some data that suggests running it up far higher. I may come back a bit more and jump it .100 off the lans, there seems to be some success stories with the 7mm PRC and that large of a jump (https://hawkinsprecision.com/2022/10/24/reloading-for-7-prc/). I may jump to 180s though, seems to be more data and a friendlier load.

Curious….
Many reasons to run a heavy but, what’s yours? Ive yet to run ballistic curve on this one but, seems like a 168-180 grain bullet would outperform the 195 at long range in that chambering. Anybody?

ZKPete

FNG
Curious….
Many reasons to run a heavy but, what’s yours? Ive yet to run ballistic curve on this one but, seems like a 168-180 grain bullet would outperform the 195 at long range in that chambering. Anybody?
Main reason, it's just fun to push something that heavy so far. I also like the energy on target advantage of the heavier bullet. But like I said, mostly just for the fun of figuring out how to fly that boat a long way.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I think you have some good info above.

I'll add just one comment and preface it with I too am a heavy VLD junkie. BUT, IMO for medium sized mags, say 7RM and below I feel the 180 is the sweet spot. If you look at 1000 yard ballistics, the additional BC of the 195 doesn't overcome the lost MV.

Also, based on experience, the heaviest for cal can tend to be a little finicky. I've had best luck with 168-180s in 7s, 215-230s in 30s and have just started playing with a 338 in which the 265 CE Lazers have actually been a sweet spot being easier to tune than the 300 Hybrids.