7 PRC & 6.5 PRC Different Barrel Length

Bowjack

FNG
When looking at various production rifles, the 6.5 PRC seems to come with a 24” barrel, whereas the 7PRC often uses a 22” barrel. Why is there a difference in barrel length for these two cartridge in stock production rifles?

There's different lengths for both... It more depends on if you want a lightweight, suppressor ready, short barrel, or you want velocity and long barrel. Both will be fine at multiple lengths... 20"-26" some even have ran them in 18"s. Plan 20-25 FPS per inch of barrel.

I have a6.5 Iin 21" and 7's in 22" and 26"... They all are good - 26" is around 100 fps faster then the 22".

Pick a bullet and a reasonable speed that it will work, and then you will know your range.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When looking at various production rifles, the 6.5 PRC seems to come with a 24” barrel, whereas the 7PRC often uses a 22” barrel. Why is there a difference in barrel length for these two cartridge in stock production rifles?
Not a direct answer to your question but some data points for your consideration.

OP
B

Bowjack

FNG
Not a direct answer to your question but some data points for your consideration.
The videos are helpful. The difference in velocity between the 22” and 24” for the 7PRCis less than 40 fps. Wow. Thank you.

Last edited:
The videos are helpful. The difference in velocity between the 22” and 24” for the 7PRCis less than 40 fps. Wow. Thank you.
Yeah based on the above I went with a 7prc w/ a 20” barrel understanding I’ll be slapping a can on it 99% of the time.

Marble

WKR
Keep in mind, by lengthening or shortening a barrel, powder burn rate can make a difference in velocity. The longer barrel may be able to shoot a slower powder and you get a little more velocity. I have seen larger swings in FPS gains with longer barrels and slower powders, but it isn't a guaranty that will be the case. Regardless, accuracy and extreme spread are the most important to me.