7-08 Alberta moose

gerry35

WKR
Yeah I was a little shocked myself. Accuracy wise they were probably the easiest bullet I’ve ever worked up loads for, just wasn’t impressed with how they killed. There was a dead animals at the end every time so they did do the job, just not quite as quick as I’m use to and the no blood was concerning
I wonder if there was a problem with an individual lot or maybe a design flaw in that particular bullet? I haven't used Hammer's but they have a good reputation. The Accubonds will work awesome though .

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Been somewhat impressed with the 120 TTSX so the hammer would intrigue me. Still I'm probably going to stick with a 150 grain partition. They shoot well in my 08 and have me wondering what I have anything else for.... Sometimes.

WMR

FNG
Not many things in the world that 7-08 150 Partition combo wouldn't handle. Moved along at 2700 or so would give 400 yards of range on most anything. Good choice.

House21

FNG
I wonder if there was a problem with an individual lot or maybe a design flaw in that particular bullet? I haven't used Hammer's but they have a good reputation. The Accubonds will work awesome though .
I'm not sure what the problem was. Like i said, probably the easiest bullet I've ever developed a load for, just wasn't impressed with the killing ability. If it was just the elk I shot maybe I'd say keep them above 2200fps and they might work, but I shot my moose with them also and he was at 15-20' so it was still travelling roughly 2800 fps and took 2 double lung shots, ran 100 yards and stood for a minute or more before he tipped over.

120 Nosler BT shoot great out of my Tikka over 44gr of Varget.

I've heard good things about the 139 Interloks and 140 accubonds, and also the 150 ELDX.

There's also the 162 ELDM/ELDX you can try. With max load of Staball 6.5, published velocity out of 24" barrel is over 2800. This load is a flat shooter and carries 1800fps past 600 yards for reliable expansion. In a 8.5 pound rifle recoil is still quite mild at around 16.5ft. lbs.

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck on your hunt. I am a big fan of the TTSX bullets. I experience with the AccuBonds hasn't been so good, but I know a lot of people love them. I am working up a load wtih the AccuBond LR and I am hoping for better results. the jacket is a bit thiner so I am hoping for better expansion.

OP
eaglemountainman
FWIW, your Accubond load should be deadly past 300 yards. A sharpshooter like you should be able to stretch that a bit if needed. Moose lungs are a pretty big target.
WMR
Nope, despite your sarcasm, 300 would be fine. That's my personal limit for shooting game, but I prefer to get inside 200.
Though a sharpshooter like myself is capable of ringing steel at 500.

Last edited:

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, your Accubond load should be deadly past 300 yards. A sharpshooter like you should be able to stretch that a bit if needed. Moose lungs are a pretty big target.
There is zero need to be shooting moose at +300 yards. Hands down they are the easiest big game in North America to get close to.

WMR

FNG
No sarcasm. Not sure where OP got that idea. I suspect he is indeed a sharpshooter. He’s loading and shooting several loads sub-moa. While I’d use a heavier bullet, his load will work well past 300 if needed. A woods hunter myself, the bulk of my kills have come under 100 yards. Still, there are times that it’s just not possible to approach that close. Given good conditions, there’s nothing wrong with reaching out a bit.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
i live here, either the Accubond or TTSX are a great choice.

I wouldn't hesitate to take either in the field. The 120gr TTSX is what I used for a few years in my 7RM. Its a great bullet.

where are you hunting?

OP
eaglemountainman
No sarcasm. Not sure where OP got that idea. I suspect he is indeed a sharpshooter. He’s loading and shooting several loads sub-moa. While I’d use a heavier bullet, his load will work well past 300 if needed. A woods hunter myself, the bulk of my kills have come under 100 yards. Still, there are times that it’s just not possible to approach that close. Given good conditions, there’s nothing wrong with reaching out a bit.
WMR
Apologies. The way I read it, and given the presence of so many internet wise asses, I wrongly assumed sarcasm. Sorry, man.

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
I'm not sure what the problem was. Like i said, probably the easiest bullet I've ever developed a load for, just wasn't impressed with the killing ability. If it was just the elk I shot maybe I'd say keep them above 2200fps and they might work, but I shot my moose with them also and he was at 15-20' so it was still travelling roughly 2800 fps and took 2 double lung shots, ran 100 yards and stood for a minute or more before he tipped over.

I think picking up speed is the ticket with hammers, maybe even more so then with the "normal speed increase" most advise with copper. Drop weight and switch to the absolute or whatever is needed to push them fast. I push them 3400 in my 6.5 and the shock at impact is very noticeable.