6mmARC and 106 TAP powder?

MThuntr

WKR
I've acquired most of the components for my 6mmARC. Still waiting on the brass that I ordered. I'm going to start load development with the 106 TAP seconds that everyone pounced on. Rifle is Howa Mini 20" with a 7.5" twist.

Hornady has a list of powders though was curious if anyone might have first hand experience on a powder suggestion?

WKR

WKR
Leverevolution if you want speed and don't care about temp instability and ball powders

IMR Xbr 8208 if you want consistency and stability but don't care about high muzzle velocity

Maybe Varget but again you won't get top speeds.

Juan_ID

WKR
I tried cfe223 xbr and varget in my arc. Cfe seemed ok, xbr shot awesome but was showing pressure signs a whole grain below book max. Ended up using a max charge of varget with the 108s. Didn’t want to mess with the sensitivity of lever or cfe is why I moved to varget.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
Leverevolution if you want speed and don't care about temp instability and ball powders

IMR Xbr 8208 if you want consistency and stability but don't care about high muzzle velocity

Maybe Varget but again you won't get top speeds.
Yeah I think I agree. Not sure I want LVR since it can act up when hot. I do have several Varget copycats (IMR4166 and SW Precision) that might be worthwhile. I guess while I break in and fireform brass, I'll have a chance to see what it'll do.

WKR

WKR
Yeah I think I agree. Not sure I want LVR since it can act up when hot. I do have several Varget copycats (IMR4166 and SW Precision) that might be worthwhile. I guess while I break in and fireform brass, I'll have a chance to see what it'll do.
Sure, it depends on what you will use the load for and where. I have been using lvr and haven't had any problems but I havent taken it to extreme temps yet.

I will say that the temp insensitivity stuff really depends on the powder and conditions. Some of it is blown way out of proportion on the internet forums just like everything else. If you have the time and patience, try it for yourself and see what results you get.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
Sure, it depends on what you will use the load for and where. I have been using lvr and haven't had any problems but I havent taken it to extreme temps yet.

I will say that the temp insensitivity stuff really depends on the powder and conditions. Some of it is blown way out of proportion on the internet forums just like everything else. If you have the time and patience, try it for yourself and see what results you get.
I have had problems on both spectrums with a few powders like MagPro and Ramhsot powders. This start out fine then temps over 85 things get out of hand. Magpro and Ramshot Magnum didn't like the cold and I often am hunting at or below 0. I tend to avoid double base as much as possible.

Reactions: WKR