6mm or 22 Cal?

What would you choose for Western Hunting (Elk / Mule Deer / Black Bear) 600 Yards and under?

• Total voters
OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
We seem to think alike. The Tikka, SWFA 3-9, and 6mm Creed was my front runner choice. I do need to tack down the stock I am going to get.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
To be candid...I am probably going to do all three. I found a smith close to me with good prices so I am going to bite the bullet over the next 3-6 months and get 3 actions barreled. I am just trying to figure out which one to start first. The 6 Creed and 22 Creed will both be on Tikka Actions. The 6 Dasher will be built on a Howa Action. I will at least get one completely put together this year and then work on getting stocks and scopes for the other ones next year.

Pretty easy choice since I just put together a 6 creed tikka, bravo, that will get a 3-9SS. Dasher would be second choice and really is only there due to factory ammo and me maybe wanting to push monos faster. Im not 100% sold on letting the SAUMs and WSM sit on the sidelines for elk yet though.

Grip on the stockys VG looks too far from trigger to interest me.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll add a bit more

6 creed for the steam in an 18” barrel

Eh1 so that you can use factory flush mags, in a bravo shaped stock

NX8 because I like them a lot. Though I could get along with a 3-9 swfa, and if you’re weight conscious it may be a better choice.

I have 2 tikkas set up identical to the above and they land around 11 pounds with bipod and suppressor. Right where I personally like them.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I’ll add a bit more

6 creed for the steam in an 18” barrel

Eh1 so that you can use factory flush mags, in a bravo shaped stock

NX8 because I like them a lot. Though I could get along with a 3-9 shv, and if you’re weight conscious it may be a better choice.

I have 2 tikkas set up identical to the above and they land around 11 pounds with bipod and suppressor. Right where I personally like them.
I really do like the looks of the EH1. I am trying to hold out for the McMillian Game Warden LR. They told me they were working on a Tikka inlet.

Lawnboi

WKR
I really do like the looks of the EH1. I am trying to hold out for the McMillian Game Warden LR. They told me they were working on a Tikka inlet.
I think that game warden LR would probably change my mind on mcmillan.

Hard to go wrong with either. I now have eh1s on my 3 stocked rifles, so it makes it easy swapping around.

I had a bravo/ 3-9 setup and it was great as well. Would have sufficed. But I prefer some features on my scope to the 3-9. I also prefer some magnification for ID when shooting antlerless. Not a fan of aics mags in a hunting rifle, although there’s more options out there now.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Just an update. Our dog decided to go and get hit by a car the other night. So after a hefty vet bill the re-barrel is on hold. Looks like I will be running the 6.5 Creed this fall instead. I may have a line on a Tikka Varmint stock, and I already have the SWFA 3-9 so that should be the set up.