6mm on Elk

Chipz

FNG
Just drew an elk tag for Utah and plan on taking my .243 out with me. Was curious on what loads to use. Right now I'm shooting Berger 87gr VLDs, pushing them about 3000fps. Anyone got experience with these on larger animals? From what I've read many are using Accubonds and TTSX in the 80-95gr weights.

Thanks

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would jump up to a 115 Berger if your barrel will stabilize that big of a bullet! If not, the 87s should get the job done. I would avoid shoulder shots with that small of a bullet. Good luck this season!

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the more heavily constructed bullets, accubond, ttsx,gmx, scirrocco. Personally I really like a 100 grain partition in the 243, had a lot of success on large bodied deer and aoudad, haven't used the 243 for elk as I have too many other guns. I'd use a stout bullet and pick your shots.

Felix40

WKR
My grandma and a bull she killed in the 60s with a 16” Remington 600 .243. I don’t know for sure but they always shot corelokts. I killed my first deer with this rifle and I have it for my son when he is big enough for a cow tag. There are a lot of better bullet choices now. Let us know what you decide on and how it performs. 10910508-907E-4FC3-A9C9-C26D0CD68299.jpeg

Last edited:

LLB

Lil-Rokslider
Very cool photo (y). I had a great aunt that used to hunt deer in LA with a crossbow. Loved hearing her stories.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hilarious that some people talk about how effective the chambering is for women and children but scoff at its use by men as if the rifle and/or beast have any idea of the gender or stature of the shooter (not a reference to anyone in particular). I’m absolutely in favor of it, if done right. People simply shoot lighter recoiling rifles more, and better. Shot placement is paramount and that goes for any chambering. Please advise of your rifle and its barrel’s twist rate and length.

OP
C

Chipz

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone. Even though I am pretty dialed in with this load, I will probably lean to some factory options with stouter (and proven) bullet construction.

I know elk have been killed with the 243 and more will continue to be killed with it. However, if you have access to something a bit more stout, I would explore that option.

I wouldnt have made a thread if I had a heavier caliber option available....I guess I can always be "that guy" and take my bow instead.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for the replies everyone. Even though I am pretty dialed in with this load, I will probably lean to some factory options with stouter (and proven) bullet construction.

I wouldnt have made a thread if I had a heavier caliber option available....I guess I can always be "that guy" and take my bow instead.

Yeah but your arrow would probably be to light and the FOC is all messed up. HAHA!

Okay. Good luck.

Elkhntr08

WKR
If I drew an elk tag in Utah, I’d leave the .243 at home warming the safe. Not saying it wouldn’t kill a elk if everything is right, but maybe it’s just me, but seldom is everything just right.
I’d be packing the 300 Weatherby or .325 wsm. I want him to know he’s been hit.

I would do it! I have seen 243 kill everything out there. I do consider it to be more of an "experts" cartridge on something like elk though. Waiting for good shot placement will be key. The best thing about the 243 is most guys can shoot them quite accurately.