6GT on a Tikka

SDHNTR

WKR
Has anyone built a 6GT on a Tikka T3 receiver? What bottom metal and magazine set up did you use? Will a factory short action set up work? (I think I already know, but need confirmation). Regular stock. No chassis.

khuber84

WKR
Have a barrel getting cut in 6gt for one my Tikkas, prob have it in next 2-4 weeks. 21" Lt palma 7.5tw 237 bore ace.

AZ_Hunter

WKR
Classified Approved
I wonder if there is enough shank to cut a factory 243 barrel back, and rechamber.

Now that Hornady will be pumping out ammo for it, I suspect others will too. I handload but still… having big H support it is nice. And my wife who was in a bad car accident wants a bolt gun, so I think the 6 GT would be perfect for her since I hunt CO and can’t do a 22.

I was thinking if one could take an M mag apart, then epoxy a delrin spacer in the back and shorten the follower appropriately if that would improve feeding and allow the 5rd mags to be used.

khuber84

WKR
Thats what I thought. Wanting a 6 ARC Tikka but it looks like a barrel swap would be easier on the 6 GT
If you want a cartridge that'll perform closer to 6arc and have closer to same barrel life, I'd do a 6br. They're about as easy as it gets, throw 29.5-30gr varg with a 105 and it'll shoot tiny groups. Believe the 6arc is around 35gr powder, the 6br, 39. 6gt is around 44.

If you want a cartridge that'll perform closer to 6arc and have closer to same barrel life, I'd do a 6br. They're about as easy as it gets, throw 29.5-30gr varg with a 105 and it'll shoot tiny groups. Believe the 6arc is around 35gr powder, the 6br, 39. 6gt is around 44.
Don't want to reload. Don't care about barrel life. Care about recoil.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
What about the 6Dasher? I hear it shoots tiny groups too and has a velocity edge over the BR.

khuber84

WKR
What about the 6Dasher? I hear it shoots tiny groups too and has a velocity edge over the BR.
Dasher is great. Every damn 6mm pretty much is easy to get shooting really well. Here's the deal, the br family isn't very tested on tikkas, ones that are, usually get good feeding from aics mags, not Tikka oem mags. My plan was gonna be 6bra on 22in barrel, but wanted to keep the oem bottom plastic/mags in my rokstok, so switched gears to the gt

Last edited:

AZ_Hunter

WKR
Classified Approved
6gt loads will be 2.6"+ or so, isn't the M mag like 2.83 inside? Should be a good fit.
But he said it nose dives in the 5rd mag. I have also read while it’s big improvement over the dasher line as far as mag/feeding reliability, sometimes it can be picky on which mags it likes.

khuber84

WKR
But he said it nose dives in the 5rd mag. I have also read while it’s big improvement over the dasher line as far as mag/feeding reliability, sometimes it can be picky on which mags it likes.
Replacing the follower spring with something made of more resilience, or bending the spring so that it's applying more pressure in front may be necessary. Tikka mag springs are all very limber, ones I've tested anyways.