60+ saddle hunters?

LostArra

WKR
Any 60+ whitetail hunters using a saddle setup? Now that I'm fully retired I have more hunting time and I can see where saddles have a place especially in late season when leaves are gone.

After some Google mining it seems like a safe method of hunting from a tree, probably safer than what I'm doing now with preset stands (private land).

bonehed67

FNG
I am 56 and began using a saddle last season. It's a very versatile way to hunt and I feel extremely safe. Sure wish this equipment was available when I was in my 20's.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
. Sure wish this equipment was available when I was in my 20's.
Agree!!
I'm "mentoring" a 19 yo nephew in his deer hunting. I told him the best thing he could do for his future deer hunting is learn to hunt with a saddle and a variety of safe tree climbing methods.

I know a lot of boomers who hunt with a tree diaper. You should like it as most of them do. Be safe!

DWinVA

WKR
Six years to go before I’m in the 60 club but i’ve been saddle hunting the last 3. I can’t imagine another 6 years will make much difference. I stay in shape to hunt and the saddle setup helps me go where others can’t/won’t. It is safe quiet & lightweight. I’m always connected to the tree. I also one-stick and feel much better doing that than hanging on while hanging multiple (noisy) sticks.

With all of this being said if you hunt easy access areas ladder stands, hang-ons and even climbers are a great option as we age. But if you go deep in the mountains nothing beats a quality saddle setup.

God Bless.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Mid 50s here and my 3rd season in a saddle. It has reignited my love being in a tree and bowhunting in general. So much safer, adaptable and more comfortable. Love it and look forward to doing it for a long time to come. Do it!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
65yo, been saddle hunting for past 5 years.
Used various treestands for past 25 years, all LWolf brand. Fixed Alpha (3) with LW climbing sticks modified, Assault Hand climber modified too.
Use the Kestrel Lite saddle from the Oregon company. It's great.
For getting up in the tree, I use a combo of methods, depending on the situation. Refined this up/down method, using LW sticks, Custom 1-stick, or combo of both. For Platform, like the Mission Lite-EDP. I use a single line to go up and rappel down. Very happy with my up/down system, and it's lightweight compared to standard treestands.