6 creed load dev, what would you do?

Duh

WKR
My barrel is finally broken in and sped up. Seekins PH2, 24 inch barrel, suppressed by an ultra 9.

The guns shot factory 108 eldm amazing from the start and it’s not picky on seating depth at all. I’ve loaded into the lands and backed it to match factory 108 eldms. It’s shot the same across the board with 41 grains of H4350. Hornady 1x fired brass gave me a pretty high extreme spread so I just got 200 pieces of Alpha LRP brass.

Loaded up 20 rounds last night. 10 with 41 grains and another 8 with 41.5 grains (I forgot to seat two primers 👎) Both using H4340 and the same seating depth, shooting 108 eldms.

As you can see below, both shot decent. I adjusted .1 down after the 41 grain group. Surprisingly, I got no pressure signs from the 41.5 load but only got approximately 40fps gain in speed. Also, the furthest left impact on the 41.5 grain group was absolutely me pulling it but I’m counting it to the total group anyways. IMG_7794.jpeg

I get that it’s a small sample size but which one would you pick? My thoughts are to stay with the 41.5 group just because of the better case fill (not sure that .5 really matters though)? The 41.5 had a little lower extreme spread of 18fps but the 41grain load was only 22 fps. I only gain 25 more yards of max expansion with the 41.5 grain load.

I’m definitely overthinking this but I’m curious to see some opinions.

eoperator

WKR
First thing I would do is cut the barrel off, 24"+9"= alot.
Go for 41g because it's an easy even number and further from pressure problems.

probably not apples to apples comparison, but I just went through this with loads for a fast twist 243. I found a noticeable velocity drop just past the 41 gr h4350 mark, and a velocity spike nearer to the 42 gr mark. I didn't have physical pressure sign just the spike in velocity I believe to be a sign of pressure building. I settled on 41.3 based on numbers from my chronograph and grouping, as well as giving myself a little room from where I believed pressure to be. 108 gr eldm 41.3 gr h4350 @2900 fps ballistically capable past my comfortable shooting range. I would probably go with 41gr. put both those velocities into a calculator and I bet you don't gain a whole lot with the higher velocity, but have safer pressures at the lower charge.

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
First thing I would do is cut the barrel off, 24"+9"= alot.
Go for 41g because it's an easy even number and further from pressure problems.
Haha yeah it’s a musket but this is an open country set up and I want to stay above 3000fps.

The 41 grain does flow a bit better in my RCBS. Will an extra .5grains provide any benefits as far as powder ignition in extreme cold environments?

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
probably not apples to apples comparison, but I just went through this with loads for a fast twist 243. I found a noticeable velocity drop just past the 41 gr h4350 mark, and a velocity spike nearer to the 42 gr mark. I didn't have physical pressure sign just the spike in velocity I believe to be a sign of pressure building. I settled on 41.3 based on numbers from my chronograph and grouping, as well as giving myself a little room from where I believed pressure to be. 108 gr eldm 41.3 gr h4350 @2900 fps ballistically capable past my comfortable shooting range. I would probably go with 41gr. put both those velocities into a calculator and I bet you don't gain a whole lot with the higher velocity, but have safer pressures at the lower charge.
Thanks. Yeah I only gain about 25-40 more yards to 1800fps with the 41.5 load. The Alpha brass doesn’t show any pressure signs compared to hornady brass. I was running into noticeable pressure at 41 grains with that 1x fired brass.

huntnful

WKR
It honestly simply does don't matter whatsoever. Load up whatever one makes you feel good lol. That's what I do. I normally go with the faster load... well, because its faster haha. But in the grand scheme, it just doesn't matter, especially with those both being excellent groups. They'll both kill out to extreme distances as far as precision is concerned.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like I would lean towards the 41 group. I like the grouping and 41 vs. 41.5 less powder and very very simular results.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to load up 180 more rounds and go to town.

TaperPin

WKR
My barrel is finally broken in and sped up. Seekins PH2, 24 inch barrel, suppressed by an ultra 9.

The guns shot factory 108 eldm amazing from the start and it’s not picky on seating depth at all. I’ve loaded into the lands and backed it to match factory 108 eldms. It’s shot the same across the board with 41 grains of H4350. Hornady 1x fired brass gave me a pretty high extreme spread so I just got 200 pieces of Alpha LRP brass.

Loaded up 20 rounds last night. 10 with 41 grains and another 8 with 41.5 grains (I forgot to seat two primers 👎) Both using H4340 and the same seating depth, shooting 108 eldms.

As you can see below, both shot decent. I adjusted .1 down after the 41 grain group. Surprisingly, I got no pressure signs from the 41.5 load but only got approximately 40fps gain in speed. Also, the furthest left impact on the 41.5 grain group was absolutely me pulling it but I’m counting it to the total group anyways. View attachment 752089

I get that it’s a small sample size but which one would you pick? My thoughts are to stay with the 41.5 group just because of the better case fill (not sure that .5 really matters though)? The 41.5 had a little lower extreme spread of 18fps but the 41grain load was only 22 fps. I only gain 25 more yards of max expansion with the 41.5 grain load.

I’m definitely overthinking this but I’m curious to see some opinions.
I’d take the higher velocity load and reload 5 of those cases until the primers are loose or a partial head separation starts to be visible on the case. At least to me, if a case only makes it 3 or 5 reloads before it fails, that’s too much pressure. At 10 reloads per case, that’s safer than many factory loads.

Fmuguira

FNG
If you re seeing pressure at 41 grs with Hornady brass I personally would see no reason to press to 41.5 grs in the other brass; just working it more so negligible fps increase. BTW .5 gr getting you 40 more fps isn’t unreasonable.

Don’t remember if you stated your barrels round count but pretty typical to gain speed until 100-150 rounds through it.

FYI I m shooting 41.4 grs of IMR4831 in my 23” barreled 6 CM with Lilja 1-8” twist and 108 Eldm. It s running 2975 ish and with an ES of 15-20…. Accuracy good so not trying to do more. (Note, IMR4831 is slower than your 4350 so my pressure most likely less than yours)

Fmuguira

FNG
Read your post again and looked at your 2 groups; I d go with 41 grs regs ding accuracy even though it’s a small sample.

If you wanted more case fill than your H4350 then a slower powder would be called for. Your ES isn’t bad though unless you re really wanting to get into lots of target and LR shooting. Good Luck however you proceed!

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I’m at 160 rounds now and have sped up between 90-100fps. My accuracy has consistently been what’s pictured above from the beginning.

I’ll stick with 41 grains for the time being and get a couple firings on the brass.

seand

WKR
Hornady lists 3050 as max pressure and personally I like to run below max, so I’d pick the lower charge.

You could compare group size and SDs again and it could go the other way, small sample sizes. Not enough data to say which is actually better. But one of the loads is likely at/above SAAMI max pressure.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Hornady lists 3050 as max pressure and personally I like to run below max, so I’d pick the lower charge.

You could compare group size and SDs again and it could go the other way, small sample sizes. Not enough data to say which is actually better. But one of the loads is likely at/above SAAMI max pressure.
I Did not know that about the pressure. Thanks for that info. Both groups are under an inch so I’m not sweating group size.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Perhaps you could take the two loads out to 600+ and see how they do.

I’m a big fan of adequate, not over pressure. I like loads that fire under all circumstances.
Yeah I’ll shoot distance next week on a prairie dog town and some steel.

I made sure to shoot the two loads in some heat. Shot around 80 degrees and that’s the warmest I’ll be hunting in ever.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Really wanting a 6mm creed. The ph2 looks like a good way to go.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Really wanting a 6mm creed. The ph2 looks like a good way to go.
I’ve been happy with this ph2. It’s been easy to load for and shoots great. My older Seekins has a smoother action but this one’s breaking in decent.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been happy with this ph2. It’s been easy to load for and shoots great. My older Seekins has a smoother action but this one’s breaking in decent.
Yeah I’ve been debating between 6 creed and 223 as a practice/gun to put a ton of rounds through with low recoil but very effective on deer. But torn between tikka then put a new stock and bed it. Or just a ph2 and throw a shv or maven on it and be done.