6.8 Western Powder Choices

aklaunch

FNG
Howdy All,

I found myself a beautiful M70 French Walnut rife chambered in 6.8 Western for an absolute steal of a deal. However I have had a lot of interest in the cartridge for several years. ( I also own a 6.5 PRC)

I purchased the rifle after looking around at bullet and ammo availability. I was really pleased to see that Barnes is making the 155gr LRX. Between that and Sierra's 175gr TGK, those are the only two i have interest in to get started.

After 2 weeks of scouring the internet I found enough Winchester brand brass to easily last the entire life of the barrel, and then perhaps get started on another barrel. LUCK!!!!!

Now I am wondering what powders Y'all are using for which bullet?

Any info would be much appreciated. I have H4831 and H1000 on hand.

I would like to buy another 8lb jug of something here before the elections.

I have researched the books, case capacities of similar cartridges etc, and everything i can. At this point I am thinking N560

H1000 is out of stock in 8lb jugs everywhere ,or I would get more of that.

Does anybody on here have actual experience with N560 or N565 with THIS cartridge?

OP
A

aklaunch

FNG
Watching this thread. Just got a nice 6.8 Western long range rifle and am keen to get started loading for it.
Did you find the online load data from Hodgon, Barnes and Berger yet?

I understand that Lyman's latest manual has load data in it as well.

I will start the load development process over the late fall and winter and get this all sorted out.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I reload my western with H4831sc behind the 175gr Sierra TGK. Tried several other powders and bullets and found this combo to be the best for me. Available components and accurate.

OP
A

aklaunch

FNG
I reload my western with H4831sc behind the 175gr Sierra TGK. Tried several other powders and bullets and found this combo to be the best for me. Available components and accurate.
Did you find that combo was picky about seating depth?

alpinewanderer

Lil-Rokslider
What other bullets and powders had you tried before settling on this combo?