6.8 Western pet loads?

Termite

FNG
@amassi yes i chronoed them at 2990 average. I shot 10 and a few were in the upper 80s and I had one barely over 3000. But that could have been a warm action. It was also 95°ish. Do you have any data from your tests?

@Undeg01 hows your testing going? Sorry didn’t mean to highjack the thread but hopefully we can get a bunch of peoples tests in one location.

@yak sweet!!!

amassi

WKR
@amassi yes i chronoed them at 2990 average. I shot 10 and a few were in the upper 80s and I had one barely over 3000. But that could have been a warm action. It was also 95°ish. Do you have any data from your tests?

@Undeg01 hows your testing going? Sorry didn’t mean to highjack the thread but hopefully we can get a bunch of peoples tests in one location.

@yak sweet!!!
To be clear I do not own a 6.8 western.
The factory ammo could very likely be a blended powder but if you have one left I'd pull the bullet and weigh the charge. Powder type and volume could help narrow down your loading

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I am about to start reloading for the 6.8 and have been looking for good info on the 170 EOL and 165 ABLR with either Reumbo, Magnum, H1000, or RL26. So far the only published info I’ve come across is the Hodgdon/shooters reference data.

This thread has been very helpful, please continue to post your results on your loads. My dies should be here this week. Browning LR Max shot sub 0.5” groups at 100 yards with the Winchester silver tip factory stuff this morning. Very impressed so far.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
@Undeg01 i noticed you said you used a Lee crimp. What is your opinion on that? I’ve read most people don’t crimp these types of cartridges but my experience is mainly with straight wall revolver cartridges where a heavy crimp is required. Thanks

OP
U

Undeg01

FNG

@yak sweet!!!
I haven’t done much “testing” other than shooting this load in various conditions. we are expected to be in excess of 100 degrees here in Oklahoma over the next 2 weeks so I will likely put a few rounds dow range to see how high temps might affect accuracy and pressures. So far, my results have not varied.

OP
U

Undeg01

FNG
@Undeg01 i noticed you said you used a Lee crimp. What is your opinion on that? I’ve read most people don’t crimp these types of cartridges but my experience is mainly with straight wall revolver cartridges where a heavy crimp is required. Thanks
I like the Lee factory crimp dies for several reasons. I have started using them on quite a few of my higher recoil, precision rifles. Even though crimping is not necessarily required in magazine fed rifles, if you use the Lee crimp, you do not have to be as attentive to neck tension. If you do not crimp and have lower neck tension, high recoil can actually cause the bullet seating to shift which can affect your accuracy.

Likewise, if you are loading into the lands, without enough neck tension or crimp, you can unseat a loaded round when ejecting the cartridge and spill powder into your action.

Lastly, I tend to get more consistent pressures and velocities when I crimp. That leads to more consistency or repetitive results. With certain powders, you can get higher velocities when you crimp. It’s kind of like drag racing. If you get your RPM up to a certain level before you launch from the starting line, you can get better top end results. Only caution is that if you are loading at the top end of your range in an effort to maximize velocity, crimping can produce too much pressure. So work up to your maximum load while checking for pressure signs.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Got some range time with 6.8 last weekend. Will be tuning the load further, but here's what I found with my setup:

162g Hammer Hunters
Federal LR Magnum Primers
0.020" Jump
63grain charge
Retumbo Powder

6.8 Load Data.png

Also, I put some Berger 170g EOL's for sale on the gun classifieds if anyone is interested.

Gorp2007

WKR
Working on load development for my uncle's browning. It loves the Winchester Expedition with the 165 ABLRs, so I just ordered 200 blemishes from the link @yak provided. This thread has been really helpful, I'll be sure to include my results just as soon as I put my hands on some Magnum, Magpro, or Retumbo.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I have two boxes of 165 ABLR and am deciding which powder to buy for my 26” max long range Xbolt. Powder is so expensive I really don’t want to get it wrong. Ramshot Magnum seems to be the front runner right now since there are some loads published for it. If I can’t find RS Magnum, what would your recommendations be between retumbo, RL26, and H1000 to drive this bullet as quick as possible? There is a great load on YouTube for 175s and H1000 where he is pushing north of 2950 fps with sub MOA groups but I’m not sure if that powder would be suited for the 165s.

Gorp2007

WKR
Just got back from the range, I used Form's Painless Load Development with MAGPRO and 165gr ABLRs. Tested Winchester Large Rifle and some CCI 250s and got similar speeds and accuracy out of both. Groups were all at or a little below MOA and I'm just working up practice loads for my uncle, so that's good enough for me. I was able to get north of 3000 with Hodgdon book max (65.3 grains) out of a Browning X-Bolt with the 26" barrel, but I did start to see some VERY light ejector marks with the max charge and Magnum primers.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Got some velocities today with a Magnetospeed and a variety of loads with Ramshot Magnum. Was able to get the 170 Bergers to 2970 and 165 ABLR to 2975 with 68 grains. COAL of 2.946, federal LRM match primers, Winchester used brass. Was not able to shoot groups with the bayonet. Good velocities from 66 to 69 grains for both bullets. Seems like there is a node in the ~68/68.5 range as others have noted, I got basically the same velocities for both. This is with the Browning max LR 26” barrel and brake removed. Will work up a smaller ladder from 68 to 68.5 and shoot for groups next time out. No extractor marks, normal bolt lift, primers looks great so no pressure issues.

Factory 170 Winchester silver tip was running 3005, 175 TGK factory browning ammo was running 2850

85 degrees and 90% humidity.. gotta love Houston

Last edited:

todd m

FNG
Hello all, first time poster, thanks for this thread it's been very helpful for me and I sincerely appreciate the information you're sharing. I'm working up Retumbo with 165gr ABLR in once-fired Win Brass. Basically using Hornady's load data, The 10-step, 5-shot ladder starts at 60.0 and works to 63.3 gr. Trim length = 2.001 ±.0005, COAL = 2.900 ±.0005. Concentricity on all rounds is ±.002. Did not use a crimp die. Will post results later this weekend, then once i get a good node, I'll do another ladder with a tighter grain spread and post those results as well but that may not be till after elk hunt in NM later in October. Thanks again, very helpful!

todd m

FNG
Here's my data from ladder test, 60.0 grains to 63.3 grains Retumbo, CCI 250 MLRP's. Once fired winchester brass full length sized. My rifle: Browning 6.8 Western Long Range (26" barrel) with Recoil Hawg brake. My scope: Vortex LHT 3-15x50 SFP MOA (discontinued). Temperatures in Tucson Saturday Oct 1: started 75F @ 8am, ended 87F @ 1230pm. I waited approximately 2 minutes between firing each round to let the barrel cool. My standard deviations aren't great but 61.5, 61.8 gr and 63.0 gr look "ok." 61.5 had a 0.44" group, 63.0 had 0.79" group. I used 5 shots to record speed, SD, and ES, and used my first 3 shots of each group as the MOA grouping with last 2 shots just there to record data - i suck at 5 shot groups.

Attachments

• 165gr ABLR Reumbo Ladder.JPG
    165gr ABLR Reumbo Ladder.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 24

todd m

FNG
update. 63.2 - 65.5 grains, 0.3 grain intervals after 63.7, compressed loads start at 64.0 grains, crunch started at 64.3 grains, and had to dial in the bullet seating die on 65.2 so stopped there after only 2 rounds so not much data for that load. Tucson temp: 58F start, 73F end. wind: 20mp left to right back to front (225degrees). 100 yards on gun sighted for 200. CCI LMRP's, 165 gr ABLR, twice fired brass no anneal. Same gun, same scope. 4 shots per load. I backed down off my previous best group by 0.1 grains to 63.2 because I was pretty certain from the data (ES and SD) that the node was between 63.0 and 63.3; I think I guessed correctly (I don't own a copy of the programs to calculate nodes) at 63.2 - SD and ES are excellent, and the group was tight: 0.60." Although not a compressed load (99.2% capacity) it's giving me the best results for Retumbo. May switch it up to Magpro after my hunt but for now I'm satisfied.

Attachments

• 63.2 group.JPG
    63.2 group.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Average Velocity.JPG
    Average Velocity.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Extreme Spread.JPG
    Extreme Spread.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Standard Deviation.JPG
    Standard Deviation.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Retumbo Ladder.JPG
    Retumbo Ladder.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 41

gerry35

WKR
I've got some good results so far with 61 gr MagPro and the 175 gr Sierra TGK, that's the max load in my rifle before pressure signs show up. Finalizing a load with Magnum and the 170 gr Ballistic Tip.
Anyone work with Staball HD yet? Thinking of ordering some in since it's supposed to be temperature stable and available. I have a bit of Retumbo too and might watch for some more to come available.

I've got some good results so far with 61 gr MagPro and the 175 gr Sierra TGK, that's the max load in my rifle before pressure signs show up. Finalizing a load with Magnum and the 170 gr Ballistic Tip.
Anyone work with Staball HD yet? Thinking of ordering some in since it's supposed to be temperature stable and available. I have a bit of Retumbo too and might watch for some more to come available.
Check Natchez shooting supply. They had retumbo the other day in stock. Not sure if it still is in stock but it’s worth a look. Just got my reloading press set up and looking to get started reloading for a new 6.8 western build.

gerry35

WKR
Check Natchez shooting supply. They had retumbo the other day in stock. Not sure if it still is in stock but it’s worth a look. Just got my reloading press set up and looking to get started reloading for a new 6.8 western build.
Thanks I didn't mention it but I'm in Canada, I'm sure someone else will jump on that info though! Looks like guys are doing well with Retumbo in the 6.8 Western with excellent accuracy and speed. I just loaded up a ladder with it and the 170 gr Ballistic Tip. Will report back when I'm done.

In my gun I can't come up to max listed loads so far with MagPro and Magnum so it must have tighter tolerances than factory barrels. I have found the 170 gr Ballistic Tip maxes out just a bit above what I'm loading with the 175 gr TGK.

Thanks I didn't mention it but I'm in Canada, I'm sure someone else will jump on that info though! Looks like guys are doing well with Retumbo in the 6.8 Western with excellent accuracy and speed. I just loaded up a ladder with it and the 170 gr Ballistic Tip. Will report back when I'm done.

In my gun I can't come up to max listed loads so far with MagPro and Magnum so it must have tighter tolerances than factory barrels. I have found the 170 gr Ballistic Tip maxes out just a bit above what I'm loading with the 175 gr TGK.
thanks for the Intel. I plan to start with magnum and 4831 behind the 150gr bulldozer 2 from badlands. From there, I’ll branch out. Trying to keep things simple as I’m just learning reloading from a friend that shoots a 270Wby.

gerry35

WKR
thanks for the Intel. I plan to start with magnum and 4831 behind the 150gr bulldozer 2 from badlands. From there, I’ll branch out. Trying to keep things simple as I’m just learning reloading from a friend that shoots a 270Wby.
The only difference in reloading the 6.8 Western (and any other short magnum for that matter) is you need to fully resize the case compared to older rounds like the 270 Wby where you can often partial resize. Everything else is exactly the same once your dies are properly set up.

I have 270 Wby dies and almost went that route. A fast twist and the new heavy bullets out now would be amazing. Love the 6.8 W though, mild recoil and it doesn't burn a lot of powder for the performance you get.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'll post a thread with more details, but thought I'd share my hunting success with my 6.8W.

Load Data:
  • Bullet: 175gr Sierra Tipped Game King
  • Primer: Federal LR Magnum
  • Powder: 58gr H4831SC
  • Jump: 0.020" off land
  • MV: ~2835fps (no chrono, just back calculated based on empirical data generated by bullet drop. Saving up for a chrono.)
  • MOA: ~1" groups at 200yds
Last 3 seasons between myself, kids and new-to-hunting friends (all one shot kills):
  • 3 Elk (Cow@40yds, Bull@500yds, Bull@200yds)
  • 4 Pronghorn (Buck@100yds, Doe@350yds, Doe@200yds, Doe@200yds)
  • 5 Mule Deer (Buck@250yds, Doe@400yds, Buck@350yds, Doe@400yds, Buck@200yds)
Been really happy with the 175gr Sierra TGK's.