6.8 Western pet loads?

Undeg01

FNG
I recently acquired a Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon LR (26” barrel) in 6.8 Western. I have shot it just enough to know that I really like the rifle and that chambering. I have shot factory Browning ammo with 175 gr Sierras and though it is very accurate, it is far slower than the 6.8 Western is capable of. I’ve got some 175 gr Sierras and some 170 gr Berger EOL’s. I’d like to work up some loads using Magpro and Ram Shot Magnum. From what little I‘ve seen, the Ram Shot should produce a little higher velocities

Anyone out there working up any loads for the 6.8 Western yet and would like to share your recipe?

OP
U

Undeg01

FNG
I finally got around to load testing for my 6.8 Western. I started with new, factory Winchester brass and used WLRM primers. I read that there had been success using Ramshot Magnum powder to achieve higher velocities with no pressure concerns, so that’s the route I took.

Having reloaded for a lot of calibers over the years, it has been my experience that maximum load ranges usually do not equate to being the most accurate. To my surprise, that was not the case here.

Rifle is a Browning X-bolt LR (26” barrel) Hells Canyon, running through a 30 caliber Thunderbeast suppressor.

The load I settled on is as follows.

New Winchester Brass @ 2.010”
WLRM primers
69.1 gr Ramshot Magnum
170 gr Berger EOL Hunter bullets
COAL = 2.950”
Lee factory crimp
This recipe reached an average velocity of 2933 fps.
45 - 48 degrees with slight wind, less than 5 mph.

100 yard 3 shot group was well under 1/2”, pictured below.

Loads at 68.7 gr and 68.3 gr yielded groups just under and just over 1/2” respectively.
B635D9C8-9F3A-4EFE-A4D6-15543D37A122.jpeg

OP
U

Undeg01

FNG
Got some more testing in and range time at 200 yds.

I put 25 rounds down range, noting velocity on each shot. Average over 25 shots = 2944 fps.

Groupings at 200 yds are still outstanding. The 3 shot group was cold bore shots with wind from my left at less than 5 mph. 1” group at 200 yds is acceptable.

I then put the last 5 rounds of the 25 shot string into the same target, far from cold bore. By that time, the wind was 5-8 mph from my left. Looks like about 1 1/2” group at 200 yds with a hot barrel.
7DB30CC0-4F28-4D20-A962-66E5C538B72A.jpeg1D349B47-7D3A-494F-9B8D-AE7F1C4821DE.jpeg

Tag

This coming year I need to get a copper load for California's bs.
Nothing wrong with that, but not hard to understand that lead being a poisonous material is being banned. Plenty of monos to choose from and pretty dang solid performance unless you're stretching them really long range.

Termite

FNG
I am working up some loads as well. I have some Ramshot Hunter and Big Game, as well as some H4831SC and H4831. Still waiting to aquire some 165gr ABLRs. If anyone has some I’ll pay too dollar for them.

I will definitely post results here when I get them. Undeg what were your altitude and general atmospheric conditions that day? I appreciate you taking the time to post your results!!!

I am working up some loads as well. I have some Ramshot Hunter and Big Game, as well as some H4831SC and H4831. Still waiting to aquire some 165gr ABLRs. If anyone has some I’ll pay too dollar for them.

I will definitely post results here when I get them. Undeg what were your altitude and general atmospheric conditions that day? I appreciate you taking the time to post your results!!!
you ever get some results with that h4831? Looking to cook up some recipes with it! Thank you

yak

Lil-Rokslider

Termite

FNG
You the man Yak. Much appreciated!!! I got enough to last me a good while now, well that is once they get delivered.

Huntsman, still waiting on my rifle to be completed. But I definitely will post results as soon as I get them. The builder is waiting on nitride then shouldn’t be very long to assemble after that.

Termite

FNG
So I finally loaded some rounds with H4831sc. I used 165gr ABLR with Federal gold magnum primers. At max charge of 55.8 I only achieved 2756 fps. That’s with a 24” barrel 1:8.4 twist and Hellfire brake. I’m working on a YouTube video to give more info but wanted to post here first to get info out. I didn’t focus on accuracy. I was able to order some Magpro. Couldn’t find Ramshot Magnum in stock. But if anyone is in DFW Texas area. I have some H4831SC to trade for RS Magnum. Lol.

amassi

WKR
So I finally loaded some rounds with H4831sc. I used 165gr ABLR with Federal gold magnum primers. At max charge of 55.8 I only achieved 2756 fps. That’s with a 24” barrel 1:8.4 twist and Hellfire brake. I’m working on a YouTube video to give more info but wanted to post here first to get info out. I didn’t focus on accuracy. I was able to order some Magpro. Couldn’t find Ramshot Magnum in stock. But if anyone is in DFW Texas area. I have some H4831SC to trade for RS Magnum. Lol.
Max charge by book or pressure signs? My experience with hodgdon data is that it's very conservative.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

S-3 ranch

WKR
I saw this and thought I would post it
“”Berger 170-grain EOL (Extreme Long Range) Elite Hunter. The two loads that made the cut were with 64.0 grains of Retumbo and 67.2 grains of Magnum. Velocities were 2,836 and 2,852 fps”

hope that helps

Termite

FNG
I didn’t have any pressure signs that I could tell. Maybe some more experienced eyes could help out. I can post a pic of the primer and case. I chickened out and decided to go with Magpro for now. I still want to test the 4831 since I haven’t seen anyone else doing it. I’m sure people are, I just haven’t seen the data.

Termite

FNG
Here is a link to my YouTube video. I didn’t get any range footage but I will for the Magpro. More info is in the video description than the actual video. And here is a pic of the H4831sc loaded with 55.8. Should I punch the primer out and see anything in the primer pocket?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 27

Termite

FNG
So quick synopsis, I loaded 20 different magpro rounds today with 165 ABLRs. Best was almost max charge at 65.2 which resulted in 2853 fps. That’s still enough energy to 700 yards for expansion according to Nosler (via Berger chart). I really hoped I would be close to the Winchester factory loads of 2990 ish. Still a bit short. Can’t find Ramshot Magnum. Maybe that’s the difference???? But I think I’m going with magpro at least until I gather more one on the H4831sc pressure situation.

amassi

WKR
Did you chrono the factory load at 2990?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm working up a load with 165gr Nosler ABLR, LR Magnum Primers, and Retumbo. Considered trying H1000 and/or Magnum as well, but will start with Retumbo.

Also going to try Hammer Hunters 162gr depending on how much time I have to play around with the different combinations. Will let you know how they shoot.