6-7 lb tent to heavy?

Tsarbomba

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for something I can use for both hiking (spring/summer) & hunting (sept Colorado elk)

Im looking at
-BA copper spur HV 3 expedition 6.7 lbs
-Sierra Designs Convert 3 7.3lbs

Was looking at 3p because I move around alot when I sleep and id like to keep pack in tent. I chose the more robust tents basically based off my naive’ thoughts of potentially bad weather. With so many tent options, what are my other options? Am i going to wish i went lighter? On the flip side, if a storm comes rollin in, will i wish I had something more robust?

Jimbob

WKR
A bigger heavier tent does not necessarily mean more robust. Design and construction are very important.

Is the shelter just for you or two?

Weight matters when you are hiking in and I would not want to carry something that heavy.

I like floorless shelters for a multitude of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
There are a number of tents you can buy that will give you plenty of room, weigh a lot less and will do well in storms. If looking for a 4 season set up, then I would look at Seek Outside LBO or Cimarron or something from Kifaru. If you want floored shelters, I would look at Tarptent. If you really want a bombproof shelter with a floor, then go straight to Hilleberg.

I have both a 3 and 4 season tents. My 3 season tent is a Big Agnes Slater, which is a bit bigger than the avg., BA tent. If they were calling for heavy storms or snow, then I would carry a 4 season tent in. If the weather looks avg with possible rain, then any Big Agnes or MSR tent would probably be fine for run of the mill rain storm.

Regardless, if I was going to carry a 7 pound shelter in, it would have to be for a winter storm with a stove for that weight.

tdot

WKR
I had an 8 pound tent 20 years ago. I toss, I turn, and I wanted the extra space, but I'll never pack a tent that heavy again. Maybe if it was for 4 or more people, but mine was a 2 person, 4 season. It was horrible. I have a special hate for that tent. Its the only piece of gear that kept me out of the backcountry and made me think that car camping was a good idea.

OP
Tsarbomba

Tsarbomba

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely want a conventional tent with floor. Would new msr hubba hubba nx 2 fit the bill for weight & durability/waterproofness?

Mosby

WKR
I definitely want a conventional tent with floor. Would new msr hubba hubba nx 2 fit the bill for weight & durability/waterproofness?
MSR makes quality products and the Hubba Hubba is a proven tent. I would compare the features and price to a Tarptent and choose based upon whats important to you. Can't go wrong with either.

Way to heavy imo.
I think a big agnes copper spur ul2 would fit the bill great.
But get all your other gear loaded in your pack. Then find a way to simulate the weight of a tent.
3.5 vs 7 pounds. And go for like a 7 mile hike with each and you'll notice that extra 3.5 pounds pretty quick.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
If you are hunting elk out of a backpack in Colorado at some point you will most likely wish you weren't packing a 6.5 lb tent, but it isn't likely to be a deal breaker either. If you can get all the features you want in a lighter tent you can afford, that is great, but a few extra pounds isn't going to kill you either if you are otherwise outfitted reasonably and in shape for your trip.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would say......it depends. If you plan on hiking in 3 miles and setting it up and leaving it up, that's not that big of deal. But if you plan on bivying with it on your back the entire hunt, you'll probably feel it.

I've used the regular CS UL's for about 6 years now and they've held up great. I've had my CS UL4 out with 3" of snow and also winds so strong I fully expected it to collapse.......but it didn't. The way I figure it, if I get so much snow that my tent can't handle it.......I'm heading back to my wall tent base camp anyway.

Benjblt

WKR

Phaseolus

WKR
The

SO Eolus would be a better option in my opinion for a spring and September tent.. I got to see one set up in their shop and will be purchasing one.

aion2come

WKR
I wouldn't carry a tent that heavy (especially paying those prices). Tarptent's Stratospire 2 is big enough to toss and turn and keep your pack inside and is half the weight. If you are willing to carry something in that weight range, I'd look at a Eureka Apex 2 person. It is still lighter and less expensive. That is what I started out with. I sold it though and have a nicer, larger, and lighter tent with the Stratospire.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone else... that's way too heavy. Also, I think you'd be surprised by how much space you'll still have in a 2P shelter, even with your gear.

Check out your local REI. They often have some of their shelters set up. You could borrow one of their packs and crawl inside and see for yourself how much room you've got.

Ono

FNG
Way to heavy imo.
I think a big agnes copper spur ul2 would fit the bill great.
But get all your other gear loaded in your pack. Then find a way to simulate the weight of a tent.
3.5 vs 7 pounds. And go for like a 7 mile hike with each and you'll notice that extra 3.5 pounds pretty quick.

This is what I roll with the BA ul2, plenty of room for me and gear. Only issue I have had is the zipper going out.

Wrench

WKR
Look on the bright side, hauling in a 7# tent will help you get some solid sleep!