6.5CM in LA and Alternative Youth Cartridge Options

safeskies

FNG
I am building a custom rifle off a long action and plan to use pre-fit barrels to reload two calibers. The first will probably be 7 PRC, but the second is what I’m pondering. I have the reloading dies and brass for 6.5 CM and wanted to use that suppressed for a deer-and-under gun for my wife and kids to use. I figured that with the suppressor, it should recoil less than a 243, but have a little better takedown power. I also understand the need and am fine with getting a second bolt.

First, will 6.5 CM properly feed in a LA Defiance action in an MDT HNT26 chassis? There have been plenty of discussions about short action in a long action, but most responses are just advising to buy a SA as there is no advantage in using a LA. But will it feed properly or will I have issues?

Second, what would an alternative cartridge be that has similar recoil and use as a youth deer-and-under gun but may be better suited to a LA?

Thanks!

Why not just develop a reduced load 7PRC? Use the spicy 180gr for grownups and a softer load for the little ones.

OP
S

safeskies

FNG
That is an intriguing idea I hadn't thought of... So a 7 PRC, or I assume most cartridges, could be loaded with a lighter bullet (160?) and a reduced charge to somewhat match the ballistics and recoil of a 6.5 CM?I'm not tied to round per se, my biggest concern is the recoil and ability to take deer sized game. I would reserve a hotter load for elk. If a reduced load doesn't come with additional complications this may be the ticket!

I would also, however, appreciate an answer to the two specific questions in the OP. Thanks!

.25-06 is a superb mild recoiling LA, and since you're a reloader, you can maximize it's potential with a pre-fit in standard length/shoulder or go with .25-06AI (40 degree shoulder) to reduce/eliminate case trimming. Make sure to get in a fast twist barrel 1:7-1:7.5, and you can easily load 85 up to 135 grain bullets depending on your target. Ace, Berger, and Hornady (2023) make high BC bullets from 130-135 grains in .25.

Here are a couple load tables for the .25 from Berger. One is .25-06 and the other is .25-06AI. Plug any of those from 2900-3000 into a ballistics calculator, and you'll understand the versatility and effectiveness of heavies in the .25 LA.

1676323007024.png

1676323025810.png

Regarding your first question re: Defiance action, I can't help you.

Sorry for the edits, I re-read your OP and see your planning on a 7 PRC and a second rifle for a SA/LA swap. In a Tikka Action, to swap between 6.5 CM and a non-magnum LA cartridge all you would need is the LA bolt stop. 6.5CM and the .30-06 family of cartridges share the same bolt face diameter. The only other thing may be mags, I’m not sure if the 6.5 will feed correctly out of LA mag.

Last edited:
That is an intriguing idea I hadn't thought of... So a 7 PRC, or I assume most cartridges, could be loaded with a lighter bullet (160?) and a reduced charge to somewhat match the ballistics and recoil of a 6.5 CM?I'm not tied to round per se, my biggest concern is the recoil and ability to take deer sized game. I would reserve a hotter load for elk. If a reduced load doesn't come with additional complications this may be the ticket!

I would also, however, appreciate an answer to the two specific questions in the OP. Thanks!
Looks like Hornady offers several 139gr 7mm bullets. I bet those could be worked up to a mild 2600fps cartridge?

But if I was looking for a deer and under cartridge I've been itching to buy a 6mm Creedmoor (spiffy new 243)...

Is there a reason you are going LA? Do you already have it?

If it’s LA then by all means use an appropriate Cartridge! The already mentioned 25-06 would be perfect, especially with a higher twist rate barrel. I don’t own one yet, but plan to!

Other deer cartridges the would work better in a LA and very effective on deer would be a 6,5x284 or the 6,5x55. Suppressed they will be mild and deadly. 257 Robert’s is a great mild round as well. These all do well in a medium action but LA would be better than SA

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
May be worth seeing if you can use trail boss powder for reduced loads. It takes up a ton of space and can basically fill a case with a reduced power load in grains. Doubt any data is out there for a 7 PRC, but I bet an experienced reloader could get there. There is info out there on it for reduced loads for other rifle cartridges.

gerry35

WKR
.25-06 is a superb mild recoiling LA, and since you're a reloader, you can maximize it's potential with a pre-fit in standard length/shoulder or go with .25-06AI (40 degree shoulder) to reduce/eliminate case trimming. Make sure to get in a fast twist barrel 1:7-1:7.5, and you can easily load 85 up to 135 grain bullets depending on your target. Ace, Berger, and Hornady (2023) make high BC bullets from 130-135 grains in .25.

Here are a couple load tables for the .25 from Berger. One is .25-06 and the other is .25-06AI. Plug any of those from 2900-3000 into a ballistics calculator, and you'll understand the versatility and effectiveness of heavies in the .25 LA.

View attachment 515978

View attachment 515979
The fast twist 25-06 looks to be a beast with those new bullets. Nice to see it starting to get some fast twists and modern bullets. With light bullets recoil should be real mild.

OP
S

safeskies

FNG
Thanks for all the food for thought!

Does anyone know if a 6.5CM will feed properly in a long action? This is the only question I can't seem to find an answer to. Thanks!

Unckebob

WKR
I cannot speak for the Defiance action, but my barrel maker wasn't confident a 6.5CM would feed well in my Origin built. I ended ordering a short, light, threaded 270 barrel to go with my 280AI barrel.