6.5 PRC with Berger 156 ammo

davsco

WKR
just rebarreled my tikka t3x with a proof carbon 6.5 prc prefit. first three shots with factory hornady 143 eldx no problem, smooth as butter. same with next three shots. cleaned after each group (barrel break in).

then did another three with the factory berger 156 ammo and it was very hard to rack them in. accurate though. haven't had time to diagnose yet. anyone have this problem?

i measured 3.065 to the lands with the 156 bullet and the OAL of the ammo is 2.955, so it shouldn't be the OAL causing the issue.

Last edited:
OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
haven't measured anything yet, but shot five more today, aggressively slamming the bolt all the way got them in there no problem, and no problem ejecting after firing.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I just experienced this last Saturday. Mine runs the Hornady 143 eldx ammo easily, but won't chamber the Berger 156 ammo. Measured the brass length and it's 2.0215, which is exact same as a new box of Lapua brass I have here, so don't think brass is the issue unless the shoulder is pushed forward or something when they size/load it. I ran a couple pieces of new Lapua brass and those chambered fine.
I also don't think it's the OAL because a month or two ago I loaded up 20 rounds in new Lapua brass with the 156 at 2.940" and those chambered and fired fine.
My gunsmith and I smoked a couple cartridges and tried to chamber them and I'll show the pictures below. It's a head scratcher. So next I'm gonna pull a few bullets out of this factory ammo and see if the brass will chamber.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Upate:
Has anyone else bought this ammo and tried it in their rifle? I tried again and it won't chamber in my rifle or in my buddy's. Both rifles are SAAMI chambered, mine by GAP and his was a Proof CF pre-fit. Sent email to Berger today asking about it but wanted to check with others here.
I checked with GAP and they suggested the Lapua brass might not be deburred - so tried to use a small file to debur the case mouth, got one round to chamber but it's still real tight.
Factory virgin Lapua brass chambers easily.
Handloads with factory Lapua brass and a 156 EOL at 2.955" chambers easily.
We'll see what Berger says....

DaleW

WKR
I'll have to check the lot # I've been shooting. I'm almost out of it but I have 100 rounds of a different lot # as well. Now I'm hoping I don't have issues with next lot #. I bought it all around March I believe.

nmarchr

FNG
I’ve bought 3 boxes from arrowhead and none have had issues, and they shoot extremely well.

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
i don't have comparator or the like. bought a couple boxes from battlehawk armory back in early January. will report on lot numbers when i get back home.

Guyotrf

FNG
Hi - I also am having problems with Berger 156 Factory loaded 6.5 PRC -

I have a Zermatt Origin Short Action, and a Proof CF Pre-fit - Hornady shoots perfect - I spent quite a bit if time on the phone with Berger and they had me sharpie color bullet, throat, neck and base - no marks - the bolt handle does not come all the way back, then I have to put major backward force on it to unchamber the round. It happened with about 5/10 times and I lost a fair amount of skin on the scope knurls:)

They were very helpful and finally told me the only thing he could think of is that they use Lapua Brass and that the brass is made to the European spec CIP not SAAMI. This is unfortunate - since no components are available for more than 2 minutes I bought 100 rds of Lapua Brass, 300 bullets and 2 lbs of N168 - all ready to go - I always like to shoot the factory ammo first to give me a starting point for OAL, accuracy etc and when I saw 2 boxes come available - I grabbed them.

The gentlemen suggested I take to a gunsmith and have the extractor modified - this did not seem practical.

Any help would be appreciated - I was thinking that this bullet would push the 6.5 PRC closer to ideal for the 300yd elk shots as opposed to my 300 WSM which obviousely kicks a lot more when I practice , which is a lot.

sndmn11

WKR
Hi - I also am having problems with Berger 156 Factory loaded 6.5 PRC -

I have a Zermatt Origin Short Action, and a Proof CF Pre-fit - Hornady shoots perfect - I spent quite a bit if time on the phone with Berger and they had me sharpie color bullet, throat, neck and base - no marks - the bolt handle does not come all the way back, then I have to put major backward force on it to unchamber the round. It happened with about 5/10 times and I lost a fair amount of skin on the scope knurls:)

They were very helpful and finally told me the only thing he could think of is that they use Lapua Brass and that the brass is made to the European spec CIP not SAAMI. This is unfortunate - since no components are available for more than 2 minutes I bought 100 rds of Lapua Brass, 300 bullets and 2 lbs of N168 - all ready to go - I always like to shoot the factory ammo first to give me a starting point for OAL, accuracy etc and when I saw 2 boxes come available - I grabbed them.

The gentlemen suggested I take to a gunsmith and have the extractor modified - this did not seem practical.

Any help would be appreciated - I was thinking that this bullet would push the 6.5 PRC closer to ideal for the 300yd elk shots as opposed to my 300 WSM which obviousely kicks a lot more when I practice , which is a lot.

If you need to trade that brass and/or those bullets, I'm sure folks would oblige.

I'd swap you Peterson for the Lapua.

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
lot # of the berger 156 not chambering easy in my tikka/proof 6.5 prc

berger156.jpg