6.5 PRC or 7 PRC?

Appreciate all the numbers! I’ve decided to go 7 PRC. Unfortunately had some medical bills so may have to hold off on purchasing for this season, but we’ll see.
I’d be interested to see what projectile you decide on. I’m currently in the process of a 7PRC build, and one of my biggest dilemmas is picking between the 180 ELDM, 175 ELDX, and the 160CX. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up picking the 175 ELD-X, depending on how it groups. I’ve used match bullets in the past, and have never been dissatisfied, due to under penetration/over expansion, so I feel confident in the ELD-X line.

I’d be interested to see what projectile you decide on. I’m currently in the process of a 7PRC build, and one of my biggest dilemmas is picking between the 180 ELDM, 175 ELDX, and the 160CX. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up picking the 175 ELD-X, depending on how it groups. I’ve used match bullets in the past, and have never been dissatisfied, due to under penetration/over expansion, so I feel confident in the ELD-X line.
I recommend the federal ELD-X loading. Much more consistent and better performance for me.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

I recommend the federal ELD-X loading. Much more consistent and better performance for me.

For my custom, I’ll actually be hand loading. My plan is Peterson Brass, GM215M primers, H1000/N570/Retumbo, and the 175 ELDX like I already said. I’m glad I don’t have to find factory loads, because western Washington really only has Hornady offerings.

What barrel length and velocity was the Federal giving you with the 175’s? I followed quite a few threads of customers disappointed in performance, specifically in 7PRC factory loadings. Like 100-150FPS under the claimed velocity on the box.
I’m hoping my handloads, and a 26” barrel can get me 3,000.

OP
rockymtnsam
I just saw that Federal released a 155g terminal ascent.. if I can find those I’ll see how they shoot. I don’t hand load so if I can’t find the TA’s I’ll probably go with the ELD-X

I just saw that Federal released a 155g terminal ascent.. if I can find those I’ll see how they shoot. I don’t hand load so if I can’t find the TA’s I’ll probably go with the ELD-X

This guy got 3000fps from them out of an 18" barrel

What barrel length and velocity was the Federal giving you with the 175’s? I followed quite a few threads of customers disappointed in performance, specifically in 7PRC factory loadings. Like 100-150FPS under the claimed velocity on the box.
I’m hoping my handloads, and a 26” barrel can get me 3,000.

My 26” seekins is 2975 and my 22” Christensen is 2925.

All shot with a suppressor and using the Garmin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve been really happy with the 170 TAs and that’s the load I run in my Christensen. ~3025 out of a 22” barrel and has shown great accuracy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrackerG

FNG
7prc for sure. The ballistics are better with any of the 3 bullets currently offered. The recoil is minimal (at least for me). I have been spotting my own impacts with a 7.8 (scoped) pound 7prc on game over 400 yard and one under 300 yards

TrackerG

FNG
7prc for sure. The ballistics are better with any of the 3 bullets currently offered. The recoil is minimal (at least for me). I have been spotting my own impacts with a 7.8 (scoped) pound 7prc on game over 400 yard and one under 300 yards
I am getting 3050 with factory Hornady CX, 2910 with factory ELDM 180s out of a 22 inch barrel

I have a 300 WM 175 grain Edge TLR (reload) for elk.

Going back/forth between 7 mm PRC and 6.5 PRC. Considering I have a 300 WM I went with a 6.5 PRC for mule deer, WTD, pronghorn.

The OP mentioned that he does not plan on taking shots beyond 5-600 yds and that he wants to kill elk, deer and possibly bear. Based on this information, I’m going to select a bullet with the highest BC that delivers the necessary depth of penetration and wound channel to effectively kill prey at my maximum desired/effective range. I’m going to deliver this bullet with a cartridge that recoils the least. Preferably one that’s readily available and available off the shelf. Recoil affects hit rates.
I have a 6.5 PRC. I didn’t put it together for hunting inside of 600.

I'm not an elk hunter but, the 6.5 CM checks all the boxes for me out to 600 yards with 2x the barrel life. I had a 6.5 PRC and sold it.