6.5 PRC Needs

OP
utahkid39

utahkid39

FNG
Multiple ways to skin this cat. In my experience barrels either like Bergers across the board and really like them in tune, or they only like them in one or 2 spots. Lots of people will say that's not a bullet you need to shoot, but in times of limited components you gotta do what you can. Whichever method you choose just advising that you may need to test a wide window of jump to find where it likes to be, and you'll need a comparator body with bullet inserts to measure Cartridge Base To Ogive properly. Cartridge Overall Length is typically insufficient due to varying lengths and profiles.
Awesome thanks for the info!

Bergers tend to like jumping for me around .050 in my 2 prc rifles. When I load to max mag length it sets it at about 55-65 thou

I just got this from Berger today. I clarified they suggested groups based on seating depth first and then powder charge.

Mike,
Please see the attachment for load data. The loads are all based on the COAL listed. Load data is conservative and was generated with QuickLoad. A general rule of thumb with the Berger Elite Hunter and Hybrid Target bullets is to start your bullet seating depth testing at .015" off the lands. Then you work back into the cartridge case in .015" increments (.015",.030", .045", .060"). When you find a bullet seating depth that shows promise, you can test .005" to either side of that CBTO if you wish to see if accuracy can be improved. All bullet seating depth testing is done using the starting powder charge!

I have not loaded with either but I occasionally see N565 in stock but N570 is unobtanium!

parshal

WKR
I built a PRC for a buddy and he took it to Africa using 143 factory ammo. Everything went down with one shot including an eland. He's sold on that bullet.

I just chambered a PRC and have lots of 156's, N565 and N570. I hate metering the carrot sticks that are 570 so I'm using 565. I have no idea how far off the lands I am and just went with mag depth. I'll go deeper from there if need be. At mag depth, the base is well below the body/shoulder junction. I don't plan on trying to get to 3k. I want repeatable accuracy with no pressure and I expect that to be in the 2900 range.

OP
utahkid39

utahkid39

FNG
I just got this from Berger today. I clarified they suggested groups based on seating depth first and then powder charge.

Mike,
Please see the attachment for load data. The loads are all based on the COAL listed. Load data is conservative and was generated with QuickLoad. A general rule of thumb with the Berger Elite Hunter and Hybrid Target bullets is to start your bullet seating depth testing at .015" off the lands. Then you work back into the cartridge case in .015" increments (.015",.030", .045", .060"). When you find a bullet seating depth that shows promise, you can test .005" to either side of that CBTO if you wish to see if accuracy can be improved. All bullet seating depth testing is done using the starting powder charge!
That’s very interesting, I may have to do some testing with that. Here’s my next newbie question on all the things I’ve read the max coal for the 6.5 prc is 2.955. I believe my very max I could fit in my mag is 3.030, and I think my jam point in my barrel is 3.245. So if I wanted could I load my bullet out to 3.030 even tho max coal states it’s 2.955?

I did do some loads the other day starting minimum charge weight which was 53.5 and shot 3 shot groups all the way up to 55.5 which I know is under maximum load, wasn’t seeing pressure signs, just ran out of time for the day. I did shoot a very good group at 54.5 grains of powder and a pretty good group at 54. Or Vice versa I would have to look at my target. I didn’t take a chronograph but would imagine that would be fairly low velocity’s? As I got up to 55.5 grains my group opened up, which could have been me, or the load itself. I have some more bullets loaded at higher charges but now I wonder if I should change my coal. Or even mess with the higher charged bullets if they won’t group well. This has all been a very good learning experience for me!