6.5 PRC 142 ABLR Load Data

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any loads with their 6.5PRC and 142 ABLR? Seeing if I can narrow it down a little more without wasting too much components. I have H1000, Magnum, and RE26 to try. I have both standard and magnum primers. Should I got with standard or magnum?

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
H1000 and standard primers. I have found the ablrs to like to run a lot of jump. Starting from scratch I would pick 100 off and run up powder until you hit your desired speed and or pressure you want to live with. Then i load pairs with different seating depths......like searcher pairs.......ie........-100, -130, -150, 180 etc. some will suck way less than others and just chase the one (s) that are better. Quickest way I know to move through uncharted territory.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with 2 shot groups at first. I'm not doing 3 anymore. You can find almost all you need to know with 2 shots when doing LD. As far as the jump thing off the lands, I'll be a little new to that. I've had a 257 weatherby forever.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I use pairs to find trends at 100 and the rest of the tuning is done at 650. The findings at 100 are almost worthless. Once I see a combination of powder/seating that trends 5/8 or less I jump ship and move to distance. Can’t tell you how many “good” to amazing 100yd groups translate to garbage at distance, so I just don’t chase it anymore.
Sgw_Idaho on the instantgram

JGRaider

WKR
The problem with load development at 650, IHMO, is that you introduce too many atmospherics into the equation.....wind, mirage, parallax, etc.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I spose it could bother some people if it’s not what you are used to.
Anyways best of luck to you.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I spose it could bother some people if it’s not what you are used to.
Anyways best of luck to you.
I didn't catch the 650. That's not in my wheel house. Most I have heard and seen is 200 yards is pretty ideal when doing LD. To each their own. Where I live I am pretty limited. If I want to shoot over 200 yards, places around here charge $40 an hour to shoot at their long ranges which are up to 1k yards.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
No worries
I’m blessed with 1200yds worth of ranges at my house. Load dev is my full time job.
650 just happened to be the most convenient for me and it shows so much so fast it’s just how I do it. If you’re capped at 200 it hardly matters what’s going on. Pick a bullet that makes you happy make it go the speed you want and go wreck stuff! 👍.