6.5 Grendel

bbell

WKR
Realized this is an old thread but figured it might help someone.
16” odin works ultralight barrel. Avg 2450fps with hornady black 123 eldm ammo. Two blacktails with a total of 0 steps after shot. Hoping for a spring bear next year.

Mssony352

FNG
An 18 inch Grendel Hunter and a 16 in Precision Firearms with a Bartlein barrel. Both are very accurate. Not shooting handloads yet but the 123 Eld shoot great in both of them.

My buddy has a great lakes AR with a 20" barrel and that thing flat out kills hogs.

Loaded with 123gr SSTs that 20" barrel gets a lot out of that efficient cartridge. He shot a 200lb Sow at 227yds and that bullet exited the off shoulder.

It's on my list of ARs to get next just seeing what that thing can do.

Pootyng

FNG
I have a 20" Ballistic Advantage premium series fluted and a 16" BA Hanson barrel that shoot everything from 90 TNT, 100 Wolf, 110 Controlled Chaos reloads, 120 Fusion, 123 Black, and 123 SST & Eldm reloads really well.

TJudeB

FNG
I shoot an 18 in Davidson Defense upper in 6.5 Grendel. For the last 6 whitetails I've shot with it I've used Hornady Black 123 eld - m's. I've had fantastic results. I will say for myself, can't speak for others, I limit my shots to 200 and in. 250 would be my absolute max distance with this round. I've actually done a few autopsy videos on the ELDM 123 grain. It knocks deer down with ease.

I have an 18" and a 20" from sixfiveoutfitters. They are both very accurate. They were group buys but they just sell the barrels themselves any more

BadgerTac

FNG
I have a 13.9” criterion blank finished by craddock precision. It’s shoots fantastic. For coyotes I’ve used 90gr varmint loads and 123 eldm hornady black. The 90’s were amazing but they were rough on fur if that’s a concern. The 123’s work but they don’t seem to expand at all.

I also load my mags with wolf steel fmj ammo and the only use the good ammo on the top 2-3 rounds. I figured after they’re running wide open it’s not worth wasting the expensive ammo 🤣

308_WIN

FNG
I have a 13.9” criterion blank finished by craddock precision. It’s shoots fantastic. For coyotes I’ve used 90gr varmint loads and 123 eldm hornady black. The 90’s were amazing but they were rough on fur if that’s a concern. The 123’s work but they don’t seem to expand at all.

I also load my mags with wolf steel fmj ammo and the only use the good ammo on the top 2-3 rounds. I figured after they’re running wide open it’s not worth wasting the expensive ammo 🤣
Craddock Precision makes awesome barrels.

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I've had proof CF, Lilja, and Ballistic Advantage barrels in 6.5g. While the proof shot the best, Ballistic Advange was not far behind it for a third of the cost. My Lilja was disappointed with factory loads. Ballistic Advantage use to offer the 6.5g in their Hanson profile that was very light and it looks like there new 16" flute barrel is lighter than the CF proof. Ballistic Advantage gets my vote.

Got my wife a BCA grendel and she shoots pretty good with it. Cant beat it for the money IMO

Attachments

• IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 15

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Text below taken from the Alexander Arms FAQ page:
Usage and Effectiveness
What are the differences in barrel lengths and what length is better for given circumstances?

This mainly refers to the 6.5 Grendel as the .50 Beowulf® is best in a 16" barrel. The two 6.5 Grendel barrel lengths that are best suited for hunting are the 24" and 20" barrels. Shorter barrels may be applied, but, beyond slightly lighter weight and handier silhouette, they have no advantage and give up velocity. However, they are superb choices for general shooting or a utility rifle. A 24" 6.5 Grendel is well-suited to most hunting applications and, if one can live with the longer barrel, it is the most versatile of the 6.5 Grendel barrels. Accuracy is superb and the rifle is capable out to 1,000 yards and longer with the right ammunition. The balance of the gun assists stability in most position-shooting and it is excellent for use from a bipod. This one barrel length can bridge across a range of shooting tasks including long-range varmint work. A 20" barrel 6.5 Grendel is both shorter and lighter than the 24" gun, which is a big consideration if the gun must be carried. While it gives up some stability from a bipod, it is just a versatile.
This has long since been discredited. I ran a group buy for 11.5" and 12.5" Lilja Grendel barrels several years ago. These barrels and many like them have excelled in the right application. I have an 11.5" Lilja barreled AR15 that has been the ideal tree stand and brush gun. Realistically it'll covered 90% of shots taken on whitetail east of the Mississippi.

I also have a 16" Bartlein barrel from Precision Firearms that I built an overwatch setup around. This is my primary hunting rifle. I plan to take it out west for an elk hunt within the next couple years. It'll limit me to a 300-400 yard shot (still need to work up the load and figure out my max range), but I'm good with that.

I also have a 24" Precision Firearms built AR15. It's an incredible rifle, but due to it's size and weight, it's a safe queen. Outside of benchrest, my others rifles are better suited for every other scenario.

gethuntin

WKR
I have a 6 ARC and my buddy has a grendel. After two years shooting side by side coyote hunting sand shooting steel i prefer the 6 ARC mainly due to win drift. I seem to have an easier time staying on steel out to 600 yards in a decent breeze compared to him. He has shot 4 coyotes with the Nosler 90 gr Varmegeddon in his Grendel that were drt but has not found that ammo or bullets for reloading for 2 years.