6.5 Grendel info and insights

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I recently posted for some 6.5 Grendel information in the Reloading Forum and got bit of helpful information From MThuntr
on my hand load questions.
Im basically interested in using 123 SST and 125 partition bullets and how they preform on deer. My thoughts are 125 partition for though the shoulders out to like 150 yds. and 123 sst for neck shots and out to 350 yds.
I really need to be sure to drop them DRT or within a couple yards due to surrounding cover is really insane and property lines in some places i hunt also.
So can anyone give me there experiences with 6.5 Grendel using 123 SST and 125 Partition. Things like shoulder shots performance or any placement shots that pretty much are DRT or very short distance.
Being new to the Grendel AR platform and hunting with it i don't have the experience and knowledge for it like other calibers.

A few years ago a buddy and I did a whitetail hunt in KY with our 65Gs and we found that the 123SST didn’t work well at 100yds and in so we switched to 123 HPBT rounds and didn’t have any more issues. I have only shot steel and prairie dogs with my Grendel past 200yds, but the 123SST seemed to work just fine.

EdP

WKR
What do you consider a "very short distance?"

I have shot whitetails with a number of different cartridges including 6mm Rem, .25-06, 7mm-08, 30-06, 444 Marlin. DRT or down within 50 yds is much more dependant on shot placement than caliber. The only guaranteed DRT shot is one that hits the CNS.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
For past 8-10 years I’ve used 30-06 with 165 partitions. Boringly deadly. Mostly high in shoulder, neck shots. Everyone went down without a twitch on the spot. Before 30-06 I used 243 few went less than 20 yards n most dropped in their tracks. 222, 5.56,224 and 22-250 were always same results too. Only times I’ve had deer go more than 20 yards were with muzzleloader or a bow.
I’m hopeful the Grendel will do the same as other calibers I’ve used in shoulder or neck.
222 and 5.56 were all neck shots.
I never have taken a shot that was questionable or wasn’t what I would call a “good” shot.

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
Different critter but I’ve shot 5-6 hogs (175-200lbs) using the 6.5 Grendel 123SST and all of them dropped in their tracks. 100 yd neck shots.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome ! Hogs are pretty tough critters. What bullet were you using? How did it perform and penetrate?

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
Factory round, Hornady custom. I have video on a few of them, recorded through scope. Not sure how to post that but I can try to figure it out

I have had tremendous success with ELD-M. The last 3 or 4 deer I’ve shot have been with that round and they went a couple steps at most.

That said, if stopping them dead in their tracks is the goal, you’re probably better off with something like a 30-06 or 7mm. Every deer I’ve ever shot with a 30-06 just fell over.

I’ve used Hornady Black 123gr BTHP from a 12.5” Grendel on a doe that died in 40 yards from a very clean double lung, and shattered a button buck’s shoulder. He dropped in place and is hot him again to finish him quicker.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input gentlemen. Both 123 SST and ELDM shoot same accuracy for me so I’m going with the SST only because I figured it was a bit tougher bullet and would hold together longer than the ELD M. I could be wrong though but it’s what I was thinking. I also have a great shooting load with the 125 Partition. I’m planning on it being my hunting choice out to 200 yards or so then go with the SST over 200 or 250. I’ve had excellent experiences with the partitions in other calibers so have a lot of confidence in it.
lol, yes 30-06 on a whitetail is pretty much Instant drop without a twitch.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I took 7 deer last year all were neck or shoulder shots except for this (picture) bigger buck. He was fast trotting after a doe in the corner of a field at about 125-150 yards. I was going for high shoulder by hit bit farther back than I planned. He just folded n crashed on the spot like every 06 deer.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a Doe that was standing back in edge of the woods by a field. She stood there facing me for probably 5min checking out the open field at around 150 yards away. So I just shot her in the neck face on.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    727.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
All deer last year were with 30-06 and partitions except 2 with a muzzleloader. First deer of the year was a decent buck broadside for shot though the ribs tight to shoulder. He took off like a shot for about 50 yards and into thick stuff. I was shocked expecting bang flop. It took over 4 hours to hack and crawl and cuss my way through that god awful brush n briers to get to him and get him out. He went about 80 yards back into that stuff before he collapsed. Was no blood for 50 yards then just few spots till about last 15 yards. 50 cal bullet went right where I wanted took out half of the heart and both lungs and exited. Was astonishing it went that far. Now I was using a tipped Barnes 45 cal sabot bullet in 50 cal. Earlier in the year I had a really big buck broadside same point of aim. I fired and he turned and ran wide open then into some thick mountain laurel. I never found blood and searched from 11am till just before dark trying to find him or blood. Never a trace of either. I couldn’t believe I he didn’t drop let alone clean miss. Haunted me after this year and that buck going so far without hardly a sign of blood with in and out broadside. Still feel sick that first buck may have been same and died. After the nightmare getting that buck out and seeing the damage of the shot I switched to a 45 cal XTP bullet in a sabot. I also switched to only shoulder and neck shots. Second deer with muzzleloader and XTP was in shoulder and was a bang flop.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpeg
    IMG_1244.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 3
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
All deer last year were with 30-06 and partitions except 2 with a muzzleloader. First deer of the year was a decent buck broadside for shot though the ribs tight to shoulder. He took off like a shot for about 50 yards and into thick stuff. I was shocked expecting bang flop. It took over 4 hours to hack and crawl and cuss my way through that god awful brush n briers to get to him and get him out. He went about 80 yards back into that stuff before he collapsed. Was no blood for 50 yards then just few spots till about last 15 yards. 50 cal bullet went right where I wanted took out half of the heart and both lungs and exited. Was astonishing it went that far. Now I was using a tipped Barnes 45 cal sabot bullet in 50 cal. Earlier in the year I had a really big buck broadside same point of aim. I fired and he turned and ran wide open then into some thick mountain laurel. I never found blood and searched from 11am till just before dark trying to find him or blood. Never a trace of either. I couldn’t believe I he didn’t drop let alone clean miss. Haunted me after this year and that buck going so far without hardly a sign of blood with in and out broadside. Still feel sick that first buck may have been same and died. After the nightmare getting that buck out and seeing the damage of the shot I switched to a 45 cal XTP bullet in a sabot. I also switched to only shoulder and neck shots. Second deer with muzzleloader and XTP was in shoulder and was a bang flop.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve grown up with the “shoot them in the broiler room “ teachings but now I just shoot neck or shoulder. In open terrain or woods I would still take a broiler room broadside shot so long as I was in very open terrain and not near a property line. I know a lot of folks swear by Barnes cooper bullets but my experience with it in a muzzleloader and in 2 other modern rifles were all pretty much pencil though. Went back to my beloved partition or interlock bullets that have always worked well. It’s why I chose partition in Grendel and The SST which to my understanding is an interlock with plastic tip. I’m sure there are perhaps better bullets like pro hunters, HPBT and others but I have confidence in my choices for accuracy and performance. Confidence n accuracy to me are biggest factor to me in hunting.
Being new to the Grendel my main concern was deciding on excellent accuracy at high 2300’s or 1moa at high 2400’s from an 18” barrel. Seems like most folks here saying high 2300’s to just over 2400 is great for deer with a 123 SST or Partition.
I did find a really good accuracy load just over 2500fps but it’s 31.5 of CFE223 powder and that’s .3 over listed hornady max. Thus I’m not feeling comfortable about loading that.

Weldor

WKR
8 Texas whitetails and a few hogs, 1 cow elk. All with 123 sp wolf gold. No issues all out of a AR platform. Started working up 140's in my ruger they we pretty anemic.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a really great record with the Grendel Weldor
I’ve heard a number of guys say they liked the Wolf ammunition. I don’t ever see any around here in the stores. I prefer to load my own for my firearms. It’s a heck of a lot cheaper if you shoot a lot. Also nice to be able to have ability when there are shortages and such. I watch for sales and free shipping or hazmat.

Weldor

WKR
Since the import ban it's hard to come by. I also used to buy it by the case pull the bullets and mess with different loads. I don't know what powder they use , but seems to be pretty consistant. I could get 5-7 reloads out of the brass not to bad .

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard the guys that liked the wolf loads say it’s pretty much dried up and hard to come by now.
I pretty much buy starline brass for reloading. I used to buy Lapua but it’s expensive and I’m not a long range target shooter or competitive shooter. I’m a huntress and range shooter for practice. Loosing a piece of brass isn’t a concern.