6.5 Grendel hunters?

I built an 18" upper for my AR in the Grendel. Accurate, flat shooting and hits the gong hard out at 600 yds.
I was going to try some Nosler 125 gr Partition handloads running as close to 2500 fps as I can safely push them out of the 18" barrel. Should be enough power for.most of my hunts, even Elk inside 200 yds

Oldffemt

WKR
I built an 18" upper for my AR in the Grendel. Accurate, flat shooting and hits the gong hard out at 600 yds.
I was going to try some Nosler 125 gr Partition handloads running as close to 2500 fps as I can safely push them out of the 18" barrel. Should be enough power for.most of my hunts, even Elk inside 200 yds
Sounds like a pretty good setup. I took my 18” Grendel for a hike in CO last fall. Didn’t get a shot at an elk with it but I think inside 200yds you’d be fine with good shot placement. You just have to have the mindset going in that you won’t take a marginal shot no matter what.

cupp260

FNG

Mac7

WKR
Ok for deer inside 100 yds but please don't think it is an elk rifle. It just does not have the power needed for elk.

I'm sure it will work for elk within reasonable range, out to 200 yds he will be fine as long as the bullet goes in the right place.

OP
A
I have hunted with a .243 for many years. I have Elk hunted with a 45 Colt handgun before. I don't take risky shots.
I would only elk hunt with 125gr Partitions or Trophy Bonded projectiles. My rifle has a accurate Sig scope on it. Were I to take a shot on an elk I have no doubt it would do just fine within reasonable distance. In thick woods, it is a flat shooting tack driver you can thread down through the trees.

.45 bc at 2500fps is hardly flat shooting

Not sure the partitions reputation as being a deep penetrating bullet is an attribute.

I quit trying to make my Grendel something it wasn't. I now own a 6.5 CM for my deer rifle and my buddy has the Grendel for a range gun. This was after shooting three small whitetails - all good shots - that went an average of 90 yards with no blood trail whatsoever. Two different bullets.

I'd never shoot an elk with a Grendel. I'd rather shoot it with my bow or muzzleloader first. Having said that, bring on the Grendel elk videos. LOL There's always an exception to every rule of thumb.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Exactly. People are going the opposite way with bullets that they should be. The 123gr AMAX and 130gr Berger Hybrid are monsters in the Grendel.

I have Zero issues with elk and a Grendel.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I wouldn't expect you to if you're willing to shoot a mule deer at 700 yards with a .223.

Again, have you ever done it? Have you killed any big game, with any cartridge at 700 yards? Killed anything with a Grendel or like cartridge? If so- bullet/range/impact angle/results?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Killed enough with the Grendel (hand loads, multiple bullets) to tell me what I need to know.

See post #8, first sentence.

Good luck with those tracking jobs.

Three deer? No mention of projectile, range, angle. It takes more than three to form even a base understanding... I’ve shot more than that before putting the rifle back on safe.

The two bullets I mentioned tend to kill dramatically out of the Grendel. For some reason people say “little” and think they need to go to a deeper penetrating bullet. That leads to lack luster performance. Quite the opposite- go soft.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I know some credible guys here in the PNW that hunt deer and elk with 6.5Gs. They both shoot a metric f-ton of 6.5G recreationally so they know where they are hitting. That said, they are both disciplined and mature to have self-imposed ungulate limits at 225 yds. How they got to that number I have no idea.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with a solid 6.5G load at less than 200 yds.

I’ve seen mono like expansion from both down to 1,600fps. For comfort- 1,800-1,700fps.
Any experience with the Nosler ABLR? Seems like it would be a good bullet for the grendel since it was designed to expand at an even lower velocity

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Any experience with the Nosler ABLR? Seems like it would be a good bullet for the grendel since it was designed to expand at an even lower velocity

Not in the Grendel, but when I go back to it, that’s one bullet I will use. Probably the best choice for it.

I know a few local guys here that hunt deer with a Grendel, 2 of them hunt elk short range with them and they always get it done. Myself I'm from the mindset of a big magnum is better!! We have 3 Grendels in our house that are mainly used as coyote guns and for ringing steel. But I have no doubt that they are a badass little caliber that could be multi use hunting if using the proper bullets, good shot placement and a limited range

Ok for deer inside 100 yds but please don't think it is an elk rifle. It just does not have the power needed for elk.

Don't have my data handy, but if I recall correctly, 6.5G has the same energy at 400m as 556 does at the muzzle with the same barrel length. I have seen a TON of deer killed by 223/556 rounds.

I'm not saying it is the best whitetail round by any means, but to say it is limited to 100 yards is just flat wrong.