6.5 Grendel 12" or 16"

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
So i currently have a 18" Grendel in AR platform and loving it. I Have an "extra" AR 300 blk pistol im planning to make into another 6.5Grendel but stuck on barrel length for it. My plan was to make it 12" barrel Pistol but having second thoughts now. The uses for the build would be for a 200 yards or less truck gun ( Pistol loaded would be covered under Concealed carry permit)
carry it while hiking, backpacking/ camping, scouting Deer hunting and protection around home and while out in woods.
All i need is a barrel and bolt for this build.
I was all set to do the 12" but started second guessing that for a 16" barrel. Reason is a 16" build is just slightly heavier by couple ounces and only 4" extra barrel length. 16" carbine uses a stock (8.3 oz) vs a SBA3 Brace (6.4 oz.). barrel weight difference is .25 of a lb (or 3-4 oz ) so basically there isn't much difference weight wise.
The 2 things that do stick out to me are that the 16" would get about 100 fps more velocity and better ballistics. Also the 12" being slightly shorter might be tad more carry efficient. (comfortable and "handy")
So my question to ya'll is which makes more sense ? anyone have both and an opinion or hunted deer with both?
being i already have an 18" grendel i was leaning towards the 12" but again a bit better ballistics and harder hitting vs length and few ounces comes into my thoughts.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I would go 12” since you already have a 18”.
My suppressed 12.5” 6.5grendel does well out to 200 yards and sits on the console in the truck well. It’s 8.5lbs with a loaded 10rd mag. Go with a mid length gas system and adjustable gas block if you can.

I run Factory 123s 2280fps
123 Handloads 2280fps
97gr absolute hammer 2500fps
Also planning on getting some 123 absolute hammers, should be able to push them around 2400fps

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
was looking to go with Carbine length because a mid length gas system puts the gas block right at the end of a hand guard. Ive got a 18" PSA mid length barrel in my parts bin that's never been fired. i was considering cutting it down shorter but when i put it up to the handgaurd it came right to the end.

SBR Sarge

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go with the short barrel. If you decide to suppress it, it’ll still be maneuverable. And, with the 18” you already have, the 16” would be largely redundant.

The 12” will still give you all the oomph you need for your hunting distances.

Oldffemt

WKR
I also have an 18” Grendel and a 10” 300blk, both ar platforms. For under 200yds I’m picking the short barrel every time especially if you’re talking suppressed. Carrying that little blackout through the woods sure is nice. The overall length is just about the same as my shoulder width so maneuvering through brush is piece of cake. I also think a 16”&18” would be largely redundant.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I have come to that same conclusion. Thank you

ThorM465

WKR
Classified Approved
I've got a 16" and an 11.5" Grendel. Go 12". I had chose a 16" over an 18" and an 11.5" over a 12.5" because I was running them suppressed. Depending on the day you ask, I would have either done it differently or gotten exactly the length i did. I inch towards I would have went with the 11.5" and an 18" intermediate gas system. Either way, I'd absolutely do a med length and an SBR length all over again.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I agree. The 12” and 18” seem perfect

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I agree. The 12” and 18” seem perfect

Latest posts

Featured Video