6.5 Creedmoor Lung Damage Pic

lduston

FNG
My 9 year old son shot this Michigan Elk about 3 weeks ago. I did a lot of research on mild calibers for kids that could effectively kill an Elk. 6.5 CM kept coming up as a marginal round for Elk. Yet several reputable hunters have endorsed it when under 300 yards. 7mm-08 was my 2nd choice, but went with the 6.5cm. Bullet choice was a bonded bullet from Norma "Bond Strike 143gr". A lot was at stake for this hunt with such a hard to draw tag. We spent hours at the rifle range, his shooting was exceptional. Honestly the 6.5 cm recoil rocked him pretty good, but he completely stayed in control & shot beautiful 3" groups at 100 yards. Anything bigger would have been too much I believe. So he ended up making a perfect 87 yard lung shot on this 500 lb cow Elk. Here is the lung bullet trauma pic. The elk went about 70 yards we estimate. I just wanted to post this for anyone with kids who may be recoil sensitive. This combo worked great and was manageable for my little guy.
IMG_1645.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    643.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    798.2 KB · Views: 160

SloppyJ

WKR
I don't disagree with you that it's probably too much for him but it looks like he stuck it out and made a nice shot. Congrats on the time with your son and making memories.

I opted for the .223 route with my 7yr old but we are hunting whitetails. My buddy got a tikka 6.5cm for his son the same age and he can handle it off a tripod but it doesn't look comfortable. I imagine they'll grow into them just fine though.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 6.5CM but the 6CM does the job even better with less recoil. I think either the 6CM or 223 are perfect for kids to learn on.

Reactions: Duh

KDAhtr

FNG
Congratulations! Its great to hear a dad take so much time and effort to give his child the best advantage he could to ensure a good hunt. And its great to see his practice really paid off. He'll remember that hunt forever!

Congrats! I'm a grown man and like my 6.5cm, don't need more than that for whitetail. While doing load development I found a nice combo of a 135 berger & some 4831sc. Absolutely drives tacks but it's slow. (2400 fps) in my Tikka. It's pretty gentle on the shoulder too

Congrats to your son! My daughter shoots a 243 Winchester on whitetail hunts for all of the reasons you listed. I'm glad he got to start his season out successful!