6.5 creedmoor and hornady 120gr amax

New to the caliber purchased in a xbolt. Cousin has said to try the 120's. But I've read they are match rounds. Should I bump to 140's in hornady or go a different factory load to try. Would be hunting whitetails

OP
B
171aeb59bbead7c821326d21ccf290a6.jpg

Camofreak

FNG
The 140 amax factory loads shoot friggin amazing out of my creedmoor.

But i like to reload, so im using 140grn berger vld's.

OP
B
From what I'm reading the amax period is NOT a good idea on deer. Too fast and explodes at impact.

Mosby

WKR
I called Hornady today to discuss their Amax bullets. The 208 grain A Max shoot under an inch at 300 yds in my 300 Weatherby Improved but according to Hornady, they are not made for hunting and do not recommend them for big game. I know guys in Pennsylvania that use match bullets for long range hunting but they damage a lot of meat. I am going to try 210 gr Accubonds with the same load and see if they are close.
Hornady is also coming out with a new hunting bullet that has a better BC than the Amax and I may try that if the Accubonds don't shoot. I have decided not to use the Amax for hunting. YMMV.

Stid2677

WKR
I called Hornady today to discuss their Amax bullets. The 208 grain A Max shoot under an inch at 300 yds in my 300 Weatherby Improved but according to Hornady, they are not made for hunting and do not recommend them for big game. I know guys in Pennsylvania that use match bullets for long range hunting but they damage a lot of meat. I am going to try 210 gr Accubonds with the same load and see if they are close.
Hornady is also coming out with a new hunting bullet that has a better BC than the Amax and I may try that if the Accubonds don't shoot. I have decided not to use the Amax for hunting. YMMV.

Hornaday's new bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpan-7vTqes

Nateinia

Lil-Rokslider
My creedmoor loves the 140 Amax. Shoots them a lot better than the 120 Amax of any sst's (factory loads). I just went antelope hunting and shot one at 475 yards and it dropped like a rock. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on whitetail from what I saw.

I have bought a few boxes from copper creek. It shot better than the Amax 120 from Hornady cut not as well as the 140's for me.

OP
B
Ok I can't get it to play sorry for asking silly question. Ima going trade the 120's in. Any input on the Gtx loads?

Poke 'em through the ribs and I bet those 120 A-Max's work just fine. Whitetails don't have much to penetrate. My girlfriend is going to fill her tag with my .223 this year. I bet it works just fine.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Swapped out to the sst today

I load for my brothers creedmoor. It is an amazing cartridge and it loves the 140 SST or the berger 140. Both shoot great behind 41.0 grains of RL 17. We have also have very good luck with the SST as a hunting bullet. Seems to be guys that really like them or hate them but they have worked flawlessly for us.

Randy

I figured the 120gr would be too light for the Creedmoor, maybe good for yotes or antelope. I think the 140 will serve you much better with deer anyway.