6.5 Creedmoor ammo for kids?

KenLee

WKR
Is there any better factory whitetail ammo for kids and newbie females than 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip?
We use them in 7mm-08 with great results, but I realize the 6.5 NBT probably doesn't have the thicker jacket like 120 gr 7mm.

Last edited:
For kids & newbie females, just guessing you're looking for something with less recoil? If so, any reason why not a 6.5 Grendel?

I wouldn't recommend a ballistic tip in that caliber, though. I've had good performance with them in 7-08 and 308, but I used a 123 gr Hornady SST and wasn't happy. It worked, but tracking him was harder than it needed to be without an exit hole. With some snow on the ground it took me 20 minutes to track him <100 yards. If I use 6.5G again, it will be with a different load. Fed. Fusion, maybe.

As I found him, a little bit of blood around the entrance.

D88vuNu.jpg

For kids & newbie females, just guessing you're looking for something with less recoil? If so, any reason why not a 6.5 Grendel?

I wouldn't recommend a ballistic tip in that caliber, though. I've had good performance with them in 7-08 and 308, but I used a 123 gr Hornady SST and wasn't happy. It worked, but tracking him was harder than it needed to be without an exit hole. With some snow on the ground it took me 20 minutes to track him <100 yards. If I use 6.5G again, it will be with a different load. Fed. Fusion, maybe.

As I found him, a little bit of blood around the entrance.

D88vuNu.jpg
I have a little Grendel AR that wrecks deer with 123 gr ELD-M. I can't stand to not buy rifles for kids that act well and want to hunt, but the parents have no interest. I bought one creedmoor for a kid and one for my lady friend. I don't want to hand newbies an AR and there are no Grendels available with youth stocks.

I have a little Grendel AR that wrecks deer with 123 gr ELD-M. I can't stand to not buy rifles for kids that act well and want to hunt, but the parents have no interest. I bought one creedmoor for a kid and one for my lady friend. I don't want to hand newbies an AR and there are no Grendels available with youth stocks.
Pretty sure I have some eld-x for the Grendel, but I can't swear to it. Performance was better with ELDM’s than SST

Gotcha. I shot that buck with an AR.

My bolt action 6.5G is a Howa mini-action that I put in a Boyd's At-One. I bought just the barreled action from Brownells, so it needed a stock anyway. The At-One might adjust the LoP short enough for kids.

Gotcha. I shot that buck with an AR.

My bolt action 6.5G is a Howa mini-action that I put in a Boyd's At-One. I bought just the barreled action from Brownells, so it needed a stock anyway. The At-One might adjust the LoP short enough for kids.
I'm already into it with 2 new pink Creedmoors now 😉
I tried to find a short stocked Grendel, as I have 4 cases of Hornady and Nosler Grendel ammo.

Pretty sure I have some eld-x for the Grendel, but I can't swear to it. Performance was better with ELDM’s than SST
I think just about anything would be better than that SST. For my average shot distance, I don't need the ultimate in accuracy, but I do insist on exit holes.

I think just about anything would be better than that SST. For my average shot distance, I don't need the ultimate in accuracy, but I do insist on exit holes.
If the 120 gr 6.5 nbt was like the 7mm, there would be exits, but I don't think it is

No sir. Just tubs of ear plugs. ATF already lurks around me enough. "Mr Lee why do you buy so many guns?" "Because I'm old with no wife, grown kid, no grandkids and no debts." "Can we see the guns?" "Can I see the warrant?"
I usually get a visit every 18-24 months.

No sir. Just tubs of ear plugs. ATF already lurks around me enough. "Mr Lee why do you buy so many guns?" "Because I'm old with no wife, grown kid, no grandkids and no debts." "Can we see the guns?" "Can I see the warrant?"
I usually get a visit every 18-24 months.
Damn!

Even with many multiple purchases, I've never even had a phone call.

Suppressors help with recoil a fair amount.

Damn!

Even with many multiple purchases, I've never even had a phone call.

Suppressors help with recoil a fair amount.
I'll admit the first couple months of single life the last go round, I got carried away. If you buy more than one handgun at a time, the FFL is required to send in an additional form. They got over a dozen on me in 2 months and set off the radar.

Back