6.5-06 or 338-06 build

Looking at having a Remington 700 in 30-06 rechambered in one of these calibers. Will also have new stock put on. I have a 300mag that I love and is very accurate but want to have some variety. This new build would be for anything up to elk. I'm pretty set on the 6.5 but wanted to get some advice.

Anyone done something similar? Looking for advice on picking gunsmith as well. I'm in the Denver area but will ship if needed. I'd also get the action blueprinted, bedded, etc... and have some trigger work done. Thanks, mike

Jager

WKR
I had a 338/06 built on a Rem 700 action, great calibre, plenty of knock down power there.

So, to expand on my first post a little bit, what is your primary use for it?

I chose the .338-06 because I wanted a do everything gun. However, it was primarily geared towards elk and deer combo hunting. In addition, the majority of the hunting I did at the time was in big time griz country, so that was also taken into consideration. I shoot 185 grain Barnes TSX out of it, and it is a pretty flat shooting load. These bullets perform very well for me, and I've dropped a fair number of elk with this gun. Recoil is not bad at all. My rifle is a wood stocked Model 70, with a 23 inch Douglas barrel.

If I were to do it over I would probably go a .270. The quality of bullets has improved dramatically since I had mine built, and I think you can accomplish the same thing with smaller calibers than you could 15-20 years ago. I would lean much more this way if the majority of your hunting is deer and antelope, with some elk thrown in.

Good luck.

Jager

WKR
Elkfitness, I had a 270Win and was going to build a 338Win from it. I wanted a 22 inch barrel so, the 06 shell handling the shorter tube better, I started looking at the 338/06. Add in the fact I only had to rebarrel it was a no brainer. I am using 19gr less powder than the Win, for approx. 2700 fps.

Both would be sweet chamberings, but they are definitely apples to oranges. You could run a 22" barrel with the 338, but I would recommend at least 24" with the 6.5. Personally, I would run the 6.5 and never look back. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with it, either. The 338 would give you more options for shot placement on elk up close, but the 6.5 with 140s would easily get the job done on soft tissue shots. It would also let you reach out and touch something pretty efficiently. I have hunted with a 338 Win and a 260. They are both great shooters, but the 338 is a safe queen now:)

OP
Elkfitness
Thanks guys. Think I'm going for the 6.5-06.

Any recommendations for gunsmiths? I would ship if needed, so they don't have to be in Denver area.

Mike

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Check out Hells Canyon Armory!

I would go with the 6.5-06 personally. I like the Ackley version.

This is my 6.5-06 Ackley improved.

WKR
I've got a customized 6.5-06 in a Mcmillan Hunters Edge stock. Hart 8 twist barrel, #2 contour at 24.5. Weighs 7 pounds 3 ounces with a 3.5-10 Leupold. Accurate as heck and has brought great luck on hunting trips. Dan Dowling is a fine gunsmith and he put mine together. He is over in Palisade, CO. Really like the cartridge a lot too.

rm06

WKR
BP Tactical in Northglenn. I had him fit and bed an HS Precision stock on my Ruger 300 with awesome results. He can do most anything from barrels to actions, Google it up.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know if you chose your gunsmith yet, but another alternative is to ship your barreled action to a barrel maker that will chamber and install your barrel. I had my 6.5-06 AI done by Pacnor, and it's prabably my most accurate rifle. WIth turnkey, you essentially eliminate a step so sometimes you get the finished product a little quicker.