50k Preparation…how do you know?

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
^ One of my favorite memories: grabbing a double fist full of Swedish fish and marching up through the Pioneers here in Idaho. Brought me back from the grave. Slurping coke from a paper bowl like a dog from one of the backcountry aid stations that had forgotten cups, same thing.

I did one 8 hour run on just gels…only did that once! Plain ol granola bars and stroopwafels for me in training, whatever sounds good during a “race.” No need to get fancy!

I stay away from the Swedish fish because I’d eat all they have! But I do really like fruit snacks on ultras! Pizza is great during longer races, like said above whatever sounds good. Uncrustables are a good one.

Austink47

WKR
Punting to my wife who is a total bad ass. She recommends the mad moose races such as the Moab red hot or the yeti trail runners are having a race in NM. She is a “strength runner” and trains low miles with a lot of strength training, and says there are lots of training plans out there. Kettle bell swings are her friend. She recommends doing a 50k then a 50 mi before you shoot for a hundo. It takes races to figure out nutrition, shoes, and how you will react when shit hits the fan with your body. Her goal is 12 min miles on long runs when she is training. She just added look up David Roche’s mountain legs to tag on to the end of your runs. Feel free to PM she is happy to help out.

P Carter

WKR
Punting to my wife who is a total bad ass. She recommends the mad moose races such as the Moab red hot or the yeti trail runners are having a race in NM. She is a “strength runner” and trains low miles with a lot of strength training, and says there are lots of training plans out there. Kettle bell swings are her friend. She recommends doing a 50k then a 50 mi before you shoot for a hundo. It takes races to figure out nutrition, shoes, and how you will react when shit hits the fan with your body. Her goal is 12 min miles on long runs when she is training. She just added look up David Roche’s mountain legs to tag on to the end of your runs. Feel free to PM she is happy to help out.
What’s “low mileage” for her?

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got it in my head that by 40, I will run a 100 mile mountain race. I’ve been running consistently for 2 years and just recently I’ve been running with more intentionality. Before I jump into a big mile race I’m going to have an inch-stone goal before 39 to do a 50k.

My question is: how do you know you’re ready? What’s a respectable pace to maintain and not get kicked off the course? Any New Mexico or Utah races to look at that won’t murder a 1st timer with elevation?

I’m older now and purposely carry a little more muscle mass than typical for runners (209 at 5’11”)so that’s also in the back of my mind as a possible factor that serves to slow but I want to do this and maintain overall strength along the way
Coming from someone who couldn't run more than 3 to 4 miles at a time and just completing a half marathon without stopping in a little over 2 hours flat, I never thought I was ready. However, I learned its about patience and respect your pace you can sustain and stick to your game plan. Always someone that will be faster and you don't wanna gas out.

I can relate to having more of an athletic frame at 6'3 and 230lbs. I am sure you know but figure out your nutrition you need and what your body needs throughout the race. It helps tremendously.

Good luck and awesome goal! My next goal is a marathon and thats probably it. Kudos to you!