44 mag lever 16" vs 20"

Dented

WKR
Anybody have a 44 lever in both lengths? I'm looking for a heavy brush gun, tree stands, inside 200 yards, scoped pig and deer killer.

I've found a 20 inch barrel, really wanted a 16 inch barrel.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something basic and the 20 inch might be the better choice.

Input from those with been there, done that experience would be greatly appreciated.

Hoghead

WKR
Had a 20" traded for a 16". 200 yard shots I would want the 20" brush and tree stand 16". I think the 16" with practice you could shoot 200.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
Ive had a 20" Marlin 1894 44 mag since forever. Hunted out of climbers, on foot out of boats, swamp buggies, etc. Ive carried it through swamps and coatal jungles from the Carolinas to FL. I also have a 94 Trapper with a 16" barrel. The extra 4" on the Marlin isnt enough to worry about, theyre both very compact.

ldmay375

FNG
I have 16" & 20" pistol cartridge rifles. I have not spent a lot of time with them.

I have been around / more time spent with 20" lever guns. I have 20" in larger lever & bolt rifle cartridges, so I am probably prejudice to the 20.
With that said, my wife has a ~16", 1892 reproduction in 44 mag. I have handled and shot it a bit. It is pretty compact as are the ~16" 1894's that I have. I still grab my 20" Marlin in 45 Colt over the 16" rifles.

I am not in and out of tree stands, but do use compact off-road vehicles, ground blinds, and hump through pretty thick vegetation areas. I don't think the 20" will cause you grief in your use. It is still a compact unit. Plus you will likely have at least some velocity increase compared to the 16.

KenLee

WKR
I read an article which said the best length barrel for a 44 mag was 16.5 inches to get optimum powder burn and velocity.
Can't remember where I saw it.

robtattoo

WKR
Man, 200yds is a looooong stretch for a .44 out of any length barrel.

I've had both, still have my 16" 336. But it's very much a sub 100yd gun. If I'm anywhere I know for a fact I can see beyond 50, I'll be carrying something else.
Great up close thumpers, but completely the wrong tool for anything that 'needs' a scope.

If you hand load, you can negate some of the velocity loss and powder burn. But I'd take a 16" version over the 20 everyday. It's not going to be a long range tack driver either way, and for what you described, handy would be a priority for me.

OP
D

Dented

WKR
This place is remarkable. Ask a question and get honest advice! 😅

First, 200 yards a way out there for a 44. I absolutely agree. Given the drops I'm seeing with my current load it'd be like lobbing artillery shells into a target, without the effects. My longest shot is realistically 150, and that's on rare occasions.

Second, the scope is for me, not the gun. My vision just ain't what it used to be. A 2x fixed scope would do everything I need.

Third? Based upon the been there done that responses it sounds like I want the 16.5 inch barrel.

Thanks for all of the information! 😁

Rich M

WKR
I've got an 18 inch 357 mag and a 16 inch 350 Legend. Have to be careful with the Legend can get a bit more more muzzleblast.

18 inch is the sweet spot for me, 16 inch seems a tad short.

With the 44 you should be able to shoot 200 without any issues. I do with 357 mag.

Maki35

WKR
It's a personal preference.

I have both. But I prefer the 20". The 16" is handy, but it feels a tad small for me. Just my preference.

NSI

WKR
I read an article which said the best length barrel for a 44 mag was 16.5 inches to get optimum powder burn and velocity.
Can't remember where I saw it.
There is minimal advantage in extending the barrel beyond legal length requirements for pistol cartridge powder burn. Get the 16.

-J

The truth is that it will likely never make a real difference which one you go with. I prefer a 16 for handling and aesthetics, but I own a 20 because that's what was available. I consider a 44 magnum rifle a 125 yard gun. After that it starts dropping pretty substantially. Substantially enough that misjudging a deer as being at 150 when it's at 175, coupled with a little shooter error can make the difference between a clean kill and a goat rope. Wind drift can be a factor as well at 200 yards. Can you go longer than 125? Yeppers, but beyond that you will have to understand your load very well.

Reactions: FLS

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
Have both and thought I'd like the 16" better for shooting houses and tree stands. The reality is that the 20" is just as handy. It's still shorter than your average 20" bolt action. Velocity is a wash b/t the two.

200 yards shots are a stretch but can be done. Practice is important. Also, if hand loading for a .44mag rifle, SAAMI specs are different than a handgun. If you shoot cast, you may have to go up to a larger diameter bullet to maintain accuracy. Slug your barrel to determine that.