40th Birthday Gift for my hunter!

OP
Inexperienced-predator07
If he plans to hunt moose in Alaska, does he plan for a fly in or float hunt? Does he currently backpack hunt? Does he have gear for backpack hunting?

I would take a general interest in his Moose hunt and Alaska and try to get him talking about plans and gear. Then, get an idea for what he needs and get that.

Some things
-A good tent (Hilleberg)
-An inReach with a year of service and rescue insurance
-Argaly game bags for moose
-If within budget, a Swarovski spotter or Swarovski NL pure binoculars
-Packs can be picky, but an Exo K4 5000 could be good. The 7200 will likely be too big and if he can make a 3600 bag work then he already has a pack.

Half of the fun with guns and bows is shopping for them, so I don't recommend those.

You can get into diamond and pearl type money with hunting gear pretty easy.
I believe its in September of 2026, fly in, yes he does overnight/backpack hunting! He will pry be in the Alaska bush for around 7-10 days!

OP
Inexperienced-predator07
Be careful of these guys here. The 2 things all of them have noticed is 1. You care about your man and 2. You're not married yet. Added together, they all are thinking, God! What a catch!

As far as gifts, I don't have enough information to help.
Luckily for him, I VERY much do! HAHA! When I tell him about this, he will have a good laugh at this comment as he consistently gives me shit about men taking their number and waiting their turn, he states "first round pick is what you are!" But I appreciate the laugh! Thank you! :)

OP
Inexperienced-predator07
I just realized this is her first post. She wants to find the perfect gift for this guy so bad that she was willing to join a hunting forum. Impressive!!

Now about those memes.....should probably welcome the new member.
IM trying my best! He treats me like a Queen and I want him to know how much I actually listen/care about his passion for the sport! Its a huge birthday milestone and I want to give him something he loves! He deserves the world!

OP
Inexperienced-predator07
I’m pretty particular about the gear I use. But I have told my wife that I just want Darn Tough socks they’re great. Perhaps a lifetime hunting/fishing license? This will set you back $1008 in Nebraska for both hunting and fishing $355 for just hunting. Or access passes for state managed lands or national forests can be a great gift.
DO you know the cost in IOWA by chance? I planned to get him a pack of really nice socks from KUIU/SITKA in a basket along with some other little items! I'm just in search of my big ticket item! SO thank you for the help! :)

OP
Inexperienced-predator07
^^lifetime hunting license does sound pretty juicy.

OP, see if you can find out what rifle he's taking on the Moose hunt and let us know what scope he's got on it currently. If it's lower end we can get a solid recommendation you can buy that'll probably blow him away. The good thing is he doesn't have to put it on the Moose rifle if it's not perfect, he can use it as an excuse to put together another rifle also. Gives you a little safeguard against blowing it on a gift that doesn't quite fit.

I assume he bird hunts up there, high end shotguns would be something to consider.
I will certainly get him talking about this moose hunt and more details for getting gift ideas and get back to you! I have no idea if he plans to use a rifle? I am sure you can only shoot a moose that is massive with a rifle? LOL this is how little I know about hunting!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
At that price point I’d lean towards a good piece of rain gear for Alaska. I find that’s the one side of my gear world I don’t like to invest in because I so rarely use it. BUT if I was going to AK I’d consider it
I pretty much lived in my Swazi overpants during my hunt in AK. It did rain quite a bit, but even after the rains the blueberry bushes, willows, etc. and ground in general just stays wet as can be.

These pants are obviously water proof and wind proof but still breathe a bit. They are also one of the only rain pants that are nearly silent on brush for stalking, and they have really good stretch for hill climbs.

They are a bit heavy, a bit baggy, and ugly, but they flat out work.

Yoder

WKR
Just ask him or his best buddy. None of these guys have any idea how he hunts, what he has or what he likes. Don't waste your money on something that he will thank you for and leave in a drawer.