40th Birthday Gift for my hunter!

^^lifetime hunting license does sound pretty juicy.

OP, see if you can find out what rifle he's taking on the Moose hunt and let us know what scope he's got on it currently. If it's lower end we can get a solid recommendation you can buy that'll probably blow him away. The good thing is he doesn't have to put it on the Moose rifle if it's not perfect, he can use it as an excuse to put together another rifle also. Gives you a little safeguard against blowing it on a gift that doesn't quite fit.

I assume he bird hunts up there, high end shotguns would be something to consider.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

P.S. When @Legend speaks, I listen. And that's the only reason for my offical RS welcome in a non-intro thead. I swear it is. :ROFLMAO:

Shoot2hunt university is the perfect gift. Gives him an excuse to buy a rifle and ammo, doesn't interfere with his moose hunt, and takes place outside of most hunting seasons.

It would be hard to beat a great knife. These knives below were started being made in 1938 by Rudy Ruana. His grandsons still own and run the shop making knives on machinery that Rudy mostly built by hand himself. Great story about it in the book, Hear the Hammer. I find that a 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" blade is long enough for any work on game in the field. In 2019 I got to go on a once in several life times grizzly bear hunt north side of the Brooks Range in Alaska. Got a great bear. My guide used a knife I had made for him by the folks at Ruana Knives in Bonner Montana. We skinned my bear together. After my hunt ended, my guide took another client out on moose and grizzly bear hunt. His hunter got a really nice moose which my guide used to skin and process the moose in the field. Towards the end he could tell that after all of that the knife finally needed just some touch up with a sharpening rod and that was it.

My favorites of the Ruana knives are the 5AD, the Steelhead, and the 95AD. These knives are tough and very well made one at a time.

1728057619814.png

If he's really a passionate hunter, I'd say the odds are relatively decent that he's a member of this site, In which case your supise may not be a suprise.

If I had to guess, he is either @Fartface @Camel titties or @dr.mooseknuckles

1.) Thank you for thinking I've got that kinda game/rizz
2.) I just turned 37, not 40
3.) I'm married with 3 children, not dating
4.) I live in Columbia, SC, not Omaha, Nebraska
5.) I think you just like dropping our 3 user names due to crudeness

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Kudos for asking.
My first choice would be a quality knife. Mkc stoned goat or jackstone, benchmade steep country or altitude
Esee ashley game knife in s35v, are all great, lifetime hunting knives. Pair it with a worksharp guided field sharpener and he'll never be wanting a better system.

Good quality rain gear is always nice to have and a necessity in most areas.

I would not recommend a pack or sleeping bag or tent because those things seem to come and go and you want something he'll be able to use forever to remember.

Optics are a good choice too but we would need a budget and to know what he already has.

Coolers are always needed on almost every trip. Does he have a good one?

Wildone

FNG
If you looking for a deer hunt they can vary in price from $3500 to $9000. Outfitters with high quality animals know what they are capable of and charge accordingly. May I suggest giving him a dollar amount towards a hunt and let him decide if he wants to add more to the pot to be somewhere special. Choosing a destination, the type of hunt you want , where you want to be and with whom are very personal descisions.