400 yard scope

If you were buying a SFP scope for a hunter that would have a max range of 300-400 yards what would you go with? Prefer to dial for distance.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
it doesn’t dial but eurooptic has the Trijicon credo 3x9 in mil for around $550. I don’t have one but I’ve got a pile of Trijicon optics including a higher magnification credo and I’m really happy with them. My little boy has got the hunting bug and I’m thinking of getting him a 243 or 6Mm ARC and putting one of these scopes on it so if he upgrades his rifle down the road, he’ll still have a solid optic.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Does mil vs MOA matter? Will they be holding for wind?

A NF SHV 3-10x42 would be a good option. As it is SFP, I would personally go with the Forceplex reticle as it eliminates a source of error.

I've decided to only have mil/FFP scopes, so I don't have personal experience with the SHV.

SloppyJ

WKR
it doesn’t dial but eurooptic has the Trijicon credo 3x9 in mil for around $550. I don’t have one but I’ve got a pile of Trijicon optics including a higher magnification credo and I’m really happy with them. My little boy has got the hunting bug and I’m thinking of getting him a 243 or 6Mm ARC and putting one of these scopes on it so if he upgrades his rifle down the road, he’ll still have a solid optic.
I have a credo 3x9 with the precision hunter reticle. I just ordered my son his first centerfire in a Tikka Compact T3x in .223 and I'm throwing that scope on it for him. I'm hoping it's not too busy for him and confuses him but we will see.

No need to dial for that. Even with a 223 shooting a 75gr eldm, my solution is 6.33 MOA at 400yds. The scope has 30MOA on the reticle.

I found mine for around $425 off the classifieds. You're not going to find a better scope for that price.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
A decent 3-9x40 or something similar is all you'll need. I think most of the general hunting public is convinced you need a much bigger than you really do. For 500yds and in, a 3-9x40 is all you'll need.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I run SHV 3-10s on multiple rifles and it's a great scope to 300-400 yards. I shoot with it out to 800y for practice and it dials reliably and holds zero. The dials are also capped so you won't spin them by accident, but have good clicks when you need to dial.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
If you were buying a SFP scope for a hunter that would have a max range of 300-400 yards what would you go with? Prefer to dial for distance.
It depends on what you are hunting. For big game, a 3x9 is more than sufficient for the specified ranges (in reality, a 4X easily handles big game at ranges up to 400 yards). Dialing is completely unnecessary for your ranges and there's way too much emphasis on it here. In 50 years of Eastern hunting, I have never needed to dial, and never will. Study your ballistics and point blank ranges. Use a mildot reticle if you like, but no need to crank the dial. With a mildot, you really don't even need a rangefinder.

+1 for shv 3-10. Mine is a duplex and it’s on my 16 year old t3 lite in 30-06. Have dialed out to 600 without issue on steel. I have it zeroed at 100 yards but walk around with it dialed to 1.5moa for your standard “put it on his back for 300, and a foot over for 400”.

Scope works good and is durable so far.