400+" Montana Bull in Extreme Elk Magazine

thebugler

FNG
I know you guys have seen the pics of the bull Jared Bloomgren shot in Montana this fall. But his story is every bit as impressive and will be in the next issue (Spring 2013) of Extreme Elk Magazine!

After 15 days and several close calls, Jared got it done on a general tag, DIY, public land hunt...if you're not already subscribed, be sure to do it now so you can read his story!

just read the bloomgren article in extreme elk mag. Great story of persistence and hard work. However, I would like to know others opinion on leaving an elk over night. If you are confident in the shot, leaving the elk overnight seems to be a good way to lose the meat. Speaking from experience an elk will spoil overnight almost every time. I would bet Jared's case was no different. Anybody have thoughts on this.

buglelk

FNG
ctdad,

If you subscribe now, your first issue will be the Summer 2013 issue. There are still a few back issues of the Spring 2013 issue available at:

http://www.elk101store.com/servlet/the-Extreme-Elk-Magazine/Categories

wapiti slayer, the decision to back out and leave a bull overnight is a tough one. I've found that if a shot is potentially behind the diaphragm (guts), if you take up the trail within 2-3 hours, you stand a really good chance of bumping the bull and having no blood trail to continue tracking on. If it's right at dark and the blood trail is minimal (or the shot is farther back than I want), I will usually back out and take up the trail at daylight in the morning. If it's warm out at night (in the 50's), I might not take the chance, but if it's cooling down into the 40's, I've never seen meat go bad overnight. Obviously, my first choice is to find the elk and get the hide off ASAP, but that isn't always possible.