4 season Colorado elk spike camp?

Laramie

WKR
Late season elk in smaller dark timber patches with 2 hunters = dead elk for us most of the time. Understand where they will likely escape and put a hunter in position to cover that. The other hunter stalks as carefully as possible to try to shoot one in the timber. One of you likely gets an opportunity if you do it right.

Thanks for the info! I could definitely see this being the case in this situation. Do elk need to water from a creek, seep, or can they eat enough snow? All the water at 9,000 ft where we found them was froze (that we could see) so I am guessing they had to drop down to find some. The morning we saw them, they could have dropped down to a river at the bottom (1000 ft of elevation). Will they drop that far, or was there most likely water they had somewhere closer that we didn’t see?
With snow on the ground they won't need to travel to open water sources often, if at all. But I have also witnessed elk dropping down to river bottoms and then climbing a mile or more back uphill to feed and bed. This is more likely in dry conditions.

If you see three bulls in an area that you know they have not been pressured out of like that, will you put all your eggs in those animals and keep hunting them even if you can’t relocate them?
Post rut bulls usually stay within a half mile of wherever you saw them and will re-use the same feed, bed, and water sources if unbothered. I usually locate bulls from a long distance away and then make a plan over the course of the next several days to get closer and my success rate is very high with this strategy. Again, they may not do the exact same thing everyday but they will be close by.

Hnthrdr

WKR
We did end up “throwing the Hail Mary” on the last day up there after sitting that feed area. I walked right up on a nice bedded 3pt mule deer which was fun. Looking back on it, I think my brother and I should have split up and tried to cover that area more on our sits instead of staying together. There were two canyons on each side of the small finger ridge where we saw them feeding, and we should have tried to cover them both. These were three more mature bulls too, so I was very hesitant to get too aggressive. It sounds like we probably had a decent plan, but could have adjusted a few things to increase our odds. If you see three bulls in an area that you know they have not been pressured out of like that, will you put all your eggs in those animals and keep hunting them even if you can’t relocate them?
When you say mature bulls, I think some decent 6x’s I would absolutely put all my eggs in hunting those 3. Believe it or not mature bulls are getting harder and harder to come by in Co. they are out there but many hunters will never lay eyes on a true 320+ bull. I think you and your brother split up to cover as much country as possible. It sucks to split from your hunting buddy, but sometimes that is the way you turn up those animals. If unpressured they will be in the area. You would be amazed at how well they can hide, even in minimal cover & typically when you were hunting those bulls retreated to the nastiest draw near where you spotted them. Like others mentioned, “wind bumping” or still hunting with a blocker can work sometimes, sounds like you learned a lot and being into elk first time out is impressive

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we learned a lot and had a great hunt. We ended up spotting a herd of cows a mile away on morning one and got my dad on those night one. He got his first ever elk after basically crawling up the mountain:). Crazy how mental toughness overcomes lack of physical condition. It was a special moment for us. My brother and I ended up traveling in on four wheeler through blm to national forest each of the following days and hiking from there. If I were to do it again, I would have set up our tipi with a stove up there so we didn’t have to drive the fouwheeler 45 minutes and could have used that time to walk. Temps were mild enough this year. Lots of hunters driving quads on blm, but didn’t see many off the roads. Glassed two different groups of legal bulls two different mornings, but did not get on them before they got in the dark timber. One group we made a big loop to get cross canyon to try and glass them bedded because it was a smaller chunk of dark timber, but it was thick and could not turn them up. We sat all day and they did not come back out to the grass area they were feeding in the morning. We still hunted the bedding the following morning after sitting on the feeding area at first lite and found a lot of tracks and beds. Used a similar approach with the other group of bulls we saw with sitting on them in the evening hoping they would come back out. Learned a lot about thermals and was really happy with the elk we located, but wondering if we should have just pushed in right away and tried to stalk them in the timber? Thermals were not super stable at that point so I was hesitant to just get on their track and go. Any advice for next time? Thanks!
you came back!!!

(standing ovation from the WKRs & staff)

Seriously, we rarely get to hear back how these hunts turned out.

i think you did great! 33% success on a rifle bull hunt if i counted right. Not too shabby.

I'd go with what @Nickofthewoods said. Unless it's the last day, then what's to lose. go in guns-a-blazin' lol

Good work to you all.

OP
J
you came back!!!

(standing ovation from the WKRs & staff)

Seriously, we rarely get to hear back how these hunts turned out.

i think you did great! 33% success on a rifle bull hunt if i counted right. Not too shabby.

I'd go with what @Nickofthewoods said. Unless it's the last day, then what's to lose. go in guns-a-blazin' lol

Good work to you all.
Thank you! We had either sex tags, so my dads was a cow. My brother and I decided before the hunt we would focus on bulls only until day four. Which I’m glad we did because our hunt would have probably been over after day one. We could have probably shot three cows out of that big herd my dad shot his out of. Even though we did not fill out tags, we learned so much and had a great experience being able to hunt hard the rest of the season. I really appreciate this forum and all the people who are willing to help! Being from Wisconsin, I don’t know many people who hunt elk and am not close enough o get a lot of experience. Thanks for all you do!

OP
J
Thank you for all the feedback everyone! After reading all these posts, I have a few adjustments that I would have made that I think would have increased our chances. I also have the confidence to commit to those bulls knowing that most likely they would stay in that area since I don’t think they got pumped out. I already can’t wait for next year!