#4 Gear: Acceptable, Excellent, Nothing Better

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When it comes to evaluating gear, I like to break things down into categories of minimally acceptable, excellent, and nothing better. I shot 1000 yards with a minimally acceptable rifle rig that cost less than $800.00 total. I won't own a rig like it again because my preferences changed, but there are lots of people to whom it is the absolute "best" recommendation.

In my opinion, anything falling into the excellent and nothing better categories don't merit discussion of what is "best" among them. If it is a scope, all of them will lead to the same result. It just comes down to features in those categories. Any choice is going to work, so there is no "best" scope. You may have preferences, but that means it is "best" for you, and it isn't "the best" for the world.

However, the minimally acceptable deserves straightforward discussion, because if you get a scope that fails, you won't be successful. The question I ask for budget buyers is "can you rely on the gear". The line is a clear line between what has high enough reliability to works and what doesn't. Scopes especially fall into this category, where there are high rates of failure and high variable of manufacturing. If you are on a budget, you must focus on the quality.

When finding minimally acceptable and features you prefer, it is a fools errand to ask what is "the best". In the end, desirability of features are subjective opinion and preferences. There is always a more expensive rifle, trigger or scope coming out. Cartridges, rifles, bipods, slings, etc. all have variations that meet different purposes, feels, and preferences.

For instance, a first focal plane scope is not better than a second focal plane scope. They are different tools. Any discussion about them must include the task, or there is no way to measure which is "better". They can both do the same things, but obviously have weaknesses and strengths. To figure out what scope to buy, you would ask questions about the job to do.

If you want to decide between them, don't ask which is "best", you won't get valuable information easily. Explain how you will use it and ask others "What is your choice and why?" Force the people answering to explain why they like something. Most people can tell you at least one valuable piece of information. Some people will tell you nothing of value.

Then, there are a few people, artisans of long range, who can educate you in depth. They will break down multiple variables and will often ask you more questions so they can give you a nuanced answer. Often times, they will have an even harder decision than you, because they see the value of features at the next level. So, even their response can leave you with questions.

I know professional shooters who could tailor rifle packages infinitely for different tasks. They typically have a wide variety of gear and tools. What they choose absolutely depends on the task.

In my opinion, those are the people to listen to carefully. They will not be loyal to a brand, fanatic to a style, or narrow minded about features. They won't be able to give you a perfect answer, but they will be able to break down the decision to the pertinent variables. Carefully evaluate people who only give one answer and speak in absolutes when it comes to one brand, one feature, one purpose, or "the best".

In the end, you might not have an easy decision, but you are better informed. So much is personal preference that you may have to give several options a try. That is one reason Rokslide has such a robust resale market, personal preference is a massive factor even for the highest quality gear.

Its wonderful to have so many options from cheap to premium gear. Your budget and preferences will dictate what gear you have. And, you don't need excellent or nothing better to have a successful time. After all, lots of hunters are successful with all sorts of rifles, cartridges and scopes, many of which I would never recommend.

Buying gear and investing in rifle systems is one of the more significant decisions a hunter makes. There are way more choices and variations than a guy needs. So, when evaluating gear, ask good questions to figure out where your budget falls in the broad swath of what is available. If you don't know your preferences yet, just get something minimally acceptable and go shoot. You can find them only by experimenting. Then, you can spend your money on "the best" gear for you.

Besides, if you don't like it, someone on Rokslide will buy it, even when you hate it. Except stuff from that Wish app, all of it is fake junk.

Last edited: