4 Bears, One Trip!!!

BowMan86

FNG
A couple buddies and I started planning our first ever bear hunting trip last year. A guy I met told me about a spot he went sheep hunting a few years back and saw plenty of bears, so I went to work planning a bear hunt for the same area. It would require a several mile hike in. We made plans to ride bikes, but with the weight on our backs, the uphill climbs, and the amount of debris on the trail, it quickly turned to us just walking the bikes almost the whole way. After 10 hours of hiking we finally made it to our destination. We quickly realized that there would be almost no way to carry out all our gear and bears if we were successful, so I was lucky enough to have a good friend that I reached out to on my inreach who set up a plane to pick up all our gear and hides/meat at the end of the hunt. With that part out of the way we were free hunt without worrying about the trip out. None of us had ever really bear hunted before so the odds were stacked against us, but our first kill came 1/2 mile from camp on the very first walk out. A0E1E4FD-5819-4C1B-A051-D99A53BFEB9B.jpegWe spent the next 2 days with nothing show, but we did see quite a few black bears to include a big brown bear off on the distance. The fourth day turned out to be a good one. One bear was missed that morning. That evening, we split into two groups and went in opposite directions. I was fortunate enough to take my first black bear that evening, FBA2A8AF-EC43-4B6E-9A58-677F3A1F5EEC.jpegand to my surprise my buddy came back to camp at 11pm with pictures of a big brown bear that he had taken just a mile out of camp.F4AE1485-0793-4B5F-B8C5-7DE35063389C.jpegWe knew it wasn’t the smartest decision, but we did not want to risk something coming in and ruining the hide, so we took off at midnight to skin out the bear. We didn’t return til about 5 am. EEB65687-A0DD-4A82-99A9-014ED5908D10.jpeg8EA21FC3-496E-4A9B-93EC-D57396C59092.jpegOn the last day to hunt we were down to one guy left who hadn’t killed a bear. He didn’t want to return to work the following week being the only one without a bear so he went out early that AM. He didn’t have any success that morning but he went back out around 2 pm and it wasn’t long before we’re heard a distant gunshot. We all wanted to take off and find him to congratulate him, but we waited for him to return to camp so we didn’t ruin his hunt in case he missed or it was someone else’s shot. We heard him coming down the trail and when we saw him he started hollering and we all joined in. We were all in such disbelief that we came this far without every bear hunting before and went 4 for 4 on bears. It was truly a great hunt with many great memories.D8B18CED-63C4-45F8-A0F9-27B36F8D96A6.jpeg

Last edited:

joel

FNG
Gotta love having buddies that can make arrangements on the fly for you........though when you are the buddy making the arrangements you sometimes wish you didn't have an inreach :)) Successful hunt, great memories.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now that's an epic trip. Enjoyed reading all about it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk