3rd Rifle Camping and Logistics

Poser

WKR
Can I get a pic of that thermos setup?

It’s a snow peak double walled, titanium thermos and It’s stupid expensive. But, I do like it quite a bit and it’s my preferred travel mug for daily use. It comes with 3 lids: a sipping lid with a seal (not entire spill proof, though), a insulated thermos lid and a insulated cold lid that you keep in the freezer. The cold lid has an imprint designed to accept a can and you can keep a beer cold for a good while and also locked into place so it doesn’t rattle around.

I often carry the thermos lid and the sipping lid if I intend to be on the move and take my coffee with me. The thermos lid keeps it warmer for longer and I don’t have to worry about spilling.

I do use the cold lid some in the summer to pack a beer in for fishing or glassing. I don’t use it when actually hunting because it’s kind of heavy and I don’t usually pack in beers when hunting.

I added the cozies to help protect the titanium from dents and to add a little more insulation as titanium doesn’t hold heat that well. Being double walled, it works pretty well, but not near as well as a steel thermos. It’s as light as you’ll find for this purpose and I often carry it backcountry skiing as well. If you throw it in your pack with some clothes around it, it works better. Leaving it in a cold car while going skiing for a few hours and your coffee will probably be moldy warm at best upon return (though, if it’s sunny and you have a sunroof, it will stay warm)

The price point is $169.
For my purposes, it’s worth it as it’s a great piece of gear that is very light, but I really had to think hard on that purchase. I can’t justify carrying a steel thermos and I’ve been steadily eliminating eating/drinking from plastics as much as possible. I had the plastic GSI mug before and was a little frustrated with the inability to throw it in the pack and go and then there’s the whole plastic vs your testosterone thing.

35ceaa4123d2e9098f4e2cd8d4af99eb.jpg

090b3dab1b4b25214a3dd921a88cd320.jpg

I will say that if you can find a buck in the high country that time of year, good odds that he will be a BOAL/ toad/ stomper
A few years ago I was elk hunting 3rd season and hadn't seen any deer at all until about the 4th day when I glassed up a giant 5x5 still lingering up high. He was a dandy. So there is some truth to this. But that was the only deer I saw that entire season up where I was at.

Poser

WKR
A few years ago I was elk hunting 3rd season and hadn't seen any deer at all until about the 4th day when I glassed up a giant 5x5 still lingering up high. He was a dandy. So there is some truth to this. But that was the only deer I saw that entire season up where I was at.

All of the books I’ve read on mule deer hunting have indicated this as well: the big boys will hold out and go on to tell stories of killing giant mulies in chest deep snow. I haven’t witnessed this phenomenon myself. From what I can tell, they all head to city limits.

TaperPin

WKR
For those of us who grew up alongside a Whisperlight stove, the mechanics of it combined with the little dance and finally the smooth operation just seem like a natural part of the experience that should always be there.

Having said that I also have a Pocket Rocket and it will be fine - also a lot lighter.

All of the books I’ve read on mule deer hunting have indicated this as well: the big boys will hold out and go on to tell stories of killing giant mulies in chest deep snow. I haven’t witnessed this phenomenon myself. From what I can tell, they all head to city limits.
That's what I observe as well. During 3rd and 4th season big bucks come out of the woodworks and you see them on private land down low while driving around. So what's with the few that stay up high? Skipping the rut that year? Not coming down until the bitter end when most other bucks have already bred? One thing is certain, hunting for outliers up high during late seasons seems like a low odds proposition. High risk high reward. The risk being that you may not see a single deer.

Poser

WKR
That's what I observe as well. During 3rd and 4th season big bucks come out of the woodworks and you see them on private land down low while driving around. So what's with the few that stay up high? Skipping the rut that year? Not coming down until the bitter end when most other bucks have already bred? One thing is certain, hunting for outliers up high during late seasons seems like a low odds proposition. High risk high reward. The risk being that you may not see a single deer.

And I would suppose that, unlike hunting around some does where rutting activity could spur movement at any moment, a mule deer way up high that late in the season is hanging tight and conserving calories. Not only are you trying to find the one bucks in a enormous area, he’s probably bedded down tight for all but 30-60 minutes of daylight.

And I would suppose that, unlike hunting around some does where rutting activity could spur movement at any moment, a mule deer way up high that late in the season is hanging tight and conserving calories. Not only are you trying to find the one bucks in a enormous area, he’s probably bedded down tight for all but 30-60 minutes of daylight.
That's exactly what I observed with the big buck I saw up high a few years ago 3rd season. Watched him that evening for over 2 hours and he moved less than 100 yards.

Hnthrdr

WKR
would be really cool to kill a buck up high late, but it seems like an exercise in futility. I do have a 3rd rifle tag that will offer me that option, and I might be high since I’m hunting with two buddies out looking for bull elk… and one has never killed s bull so it would be awesome to get him his first.

OP
DoveBlaster
All that said is there any particular reason you are planning to backpack hunt?
Thanks for your post, a lot of valuable information there. I think the main reason is because I have always seen more game/ less hunters far away from the truck/ trailhead/ roads. I didn't have plans to go into high country that late but away from roads etc. Most of my hunting has been for elk in September though so I'm glad I made this post. Have learned a lot already and have changed the way I'm thinking about this hunt. The only late season hunt I have been on was in Arizona and it was dryer that a popcorn fart so staying warm was relatively easy.

I'd echo what other people have said about chains - always better to have them and not use them than to not have them and need them.
I definitely want to take chains but I don't have the first clue about the best style/ reliable brand... Can someone post a link to a good set of chains?

Poser

WKR
Thanks for your post, a lot of valuable information there. I think the main reason is because I have always seen more game/ less hunters far away from the truck/ trailhead/ roads. I didn't have plans to go into high country that late but away from roads etc. Most of my hunting has been for elk in September though so I'm glad I made this post. Have learned a lot already and have changed the way I'm thinking about this hunt. The only late season hunt I have been on was in Arizona and it was dryer that a popcorn fart so staying warm was relatively easy.

I definitely want to take chains but I don't have the first clue about the best style/ reliable brand... Can someone post a link to a good set of chains?

The starting point is to look at the clearance you have around your tires: wheel wells, but also your ball joint, suspension, tire pressure sensor wire etc. if you have less than an inch of clearance, chains may not be an option or you’ll be limited to very low profile chains. The newer the vehicle, the less big chain compatible.

joelski

FNG
I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there, some of which are heavier duty so would be curious what others recommend as well, but I've used these on my mid-2000s Tahoe and they've worked great each time I've had to bust them out. Really easy to put on and off too

tracker12

WKR
I am hunting 3rd season mule deer this year in CO. I choose an Airbnb over camping. I have been faced with some very cold and deep snow events over the years and just didn't want to mess with it at my aging years. I want to be mobile and plan on putting in a lot of miles glassing up hopefully some shooter bucks. Key to a good deer during the rut is finding does. I remember one year in the early 90's where we got a huge storm that dropped so much snow at elevation in NW CO that guys had to leave their truck and get rescued. If I was setting up a camp it would be at a lower elevation near good access to the area you want to hunt.

DoveBlaster, I run the same basic gear. If you'll DM me an email address, I'll email you a spreadsheet of my late season packing list. The biggest thing with floorless on snow is having some sort of groundcloth IMO. I use a double layer of 5 mil plastic that has been sealed together. I like to make it 2' longer and 2' wider than my sleeping bag and pad so i can take my boots off and step onto it before climbing in the bag. I'm running Smith Cylinder stove from Kifaru and it keeps the tipi warm enough, even down to below zero temps. The burn time is only about 45 minutes though, so make sure you take the time to stock up on PLENTY of wood.

tracker12

WKR
I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there, some of which are heavier duty so would be curious what others recommend as well, but I've used these on my mid-2000s Tahoe and they've worked great each time I've had to bust them out. Really easy to put on and off too
Thanks for posting this. I am heading out 3rd season with NEW TRUCK and new tire size. need to pick up chains or an alternative.

I would suggest doing a base camp of some sort, whether its from a truck or a structure in town. I say this because the nights are long and cold and that can really take the energy and motivation out of a guy. I get that walking back and forth sucks, but you’ll probably sleep better and hunt better the following day having a full nights rest and a lighter pack on your back.

Thanks for the input and replies. I am [mention]DoveBlaster [/mention]‘s hunting partner. We’ve decided it’s best to plan for truck camp.

I ordered a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas flex bow today.

We’ll bring the floorless shelter and Ti stove along in the truck and if weather permits & we feel the need we can spike out.

To be honest I’m kinda looking forward to it, Big floored tent, ribeye steaks, standing up straight, chairs, propane stoves and heaters, cots and fat sleeping pads sound pretty good. We typically have pretty light and spartan camps for September ek hunting, this is a nice change of pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk