.358 Norma Magnum build.

Well, that thing is going to hammer (on both ends ;) ). Looks great.

I was a bit worried when I saw the Talleys in the first picture, but it looks like you went with a different mount set up in the end.

Post up shooting results when you have some! My X-Caliber barrels all shoot very well.

OP
44hunter45

I was a bit worried when I saw the Talleys in the first picture, but it looks like you went with a different mount set up in the end.

Post up shooting results when you have some! My X-Caliber barrels all shoot very well.
The rifle started life as a 7mmRM. I had issues with the lightweights on my last Alaska trip. I think the real issue was that I never lapped them.

Recoil is not unbearable. It comes in at 11 1/2 pounds scoped and slinged. The only thing I've noticed with recoil is that you do not want to shoot it offhand with the bipod folded up. Your left hand will get a whack from the bipod no matter how much squeeze you put on.

I'm a big guy, I'm not sure I can make an objective judgement on recoil. Side by side I think my 264 is sharper and snappier. The 358 is more of a push than a punch.

OP
44hunter45

Shooting results.
I have not worked up actual loads yet, so I think it will only get better. These are no name 250 spitzers (old Core-Lokt maybe?) I got at a gun show. Charge is 64 grains of H335.

IMG_3812.JPGIMG_3814.JPG

sambo3006

FNG
That's great! I think the recoil feeling like a shove is more a product of the rifle weight than the cartridge. A bit heavy for my liking, but I hope it works well for you. Best of luck this fall!

OP
44hunter45
That's great! I think the recoil feeling like a shove is more a product of the rifle weight than the cartridge. A bit heavy for my liking, but I hope it works well for you. Best of luck this fall!
Already scheming about what this would be like with a carbon fiber barrel. The action true up is all done. Just a straight re-barrel and re-bed now.

This is my first build and I'm afraid it will become an expensive habit.

TaperPin

WKR
The rifle started life as a 7mmRM. I had issues with the lightweights on my last Alaska trip. I think the real issue was that I never lapped them.

Recoil is not unbearable. It comes in at 11 1/2 pounds scoped and slinged. The only thing I've noticed with recoil is that you do not want to shoot it offhand with the bipod folded up. Your left hand will get a whack from the bipod no matter how much squeeze you put on.

I'm a big guy, I'm not sure I can make an objective judgement on recoil. Side by side I think my 264 is sharper and snappier. The 358 is more of a push than a punch.
I think the 358 is awesome - paired with a 264 is as good as it gets! Very nice.