35" offroad tire question

Scorpion

WKR
What kinda mileage ya get out of them? Even wear with proper rotation and pressure? I'm leaning towards the Toyo ATIII w/ its 65k mile warranty.
I get 30-40K out of a set, even wear and I rotate them every 10K. I change them at about 3/8-1/2 tread due to the roads and conditions I find myself in whether hunting or working. The average guy can probably get 50K or more.

At the end of the day, tires are cheap and I like having a fresh set.

Scorpion

WKR
Regarding mud, I don’t think anything short of a true M/T will work for bad red clay or the bentonite gumbo mud you’ll find in the high plains after a rain. All tires are a compromise in some capacity.

260madman

WKR
Having worked in a mine in all weather conditions and terrain I’d stay away from Duratracs and BFG KO2s. They did not wear well with the shale,sand and ballast rock on the rail system. The shale and ballast rock really tore them up and they were okay in mud up to the bumpers of course not much would have been better in the thick sticky stuff and I mean thick. These were Super Dutys F150s and Ram 1500s and Silverados. The best we found were Rams with Hankook ATs. They took the abuse and didn’t tear side walls and went across the mud without issue. It came to a point that when it rained guys were hiding the keys so they had first dibs on the Rams. They were trying the Wildpeaks just before I was medically retired and the were chunking out pretty good after a couple months of running ballast rock and gravel. I did the maintenance on these vehicles and drove them everyday.

I’d probably search Expedition Portal and see what they like because they will be used in the areas and conditions that you will be using them. That place liked the Falkens when they first came out but not sure how they feel about them now after using them for a few years.

So when selecting offroad tires I always get hybrid ATs for my Ram 1500 shortbed. Been buying Toyo Xtremes and now looking at it's sister company Nitto. My tires are 35X12.50R18s and now Nitto has produced comparable (made at the same plant) in the same size. The Recon & ATX have caught my eye. Comes with a 55,000 warranty whereas my Xtremes came a 50,000 warranty. When I saw this: https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at2/
The 65,000 mile warranty caught my eye. I'm pretty sure all these tires are overkill for my needs but some of the places I find myself in the backcountry are crazy rugged and I want lots of sidewall protection and deep, self-clearing tread.
I'd be interested in feedback on quality all terrain tires from those personally experienced with them on and off-road.
Your thought? Is there anything better?

View attachment 465000
Nice truck!

OP
Where's Bruce?
Thanks, I spent some coin converting it from a puddle-sniffing mall cruiser into a badass backcountry brute.

1a7c0b4bce37d5c76bcc8880c19eac79.gif
UaVvPXO9FHuBgFuEl_KhQD0GUIBuJYfV83XzovMa45_kIOC7PbqVMYQCh32V-vswIIWlZrY6oidsanHEazOhysrPWXTloXrN7c6_cd9Oedr3gxb8e_IQo7ofObMK2PUm99PaZGpy8B6jR0e6hOnh4Q_-oU_I2IMlGFinOmLlzM3eNDTR5ZROIMQ0l5z64EMCnhwbZAVgt7fJXi3vfts8XEFj5GwXiQHNKeyKEfVg0fCtRFPJawzesA81KG7YM8r76-u4e3ESS7P4rMbKfOcGzD8k35N-jIhSxJ7On53fJde3s2zpHNpoAkcQ1xRAKenOWfdnofPoUkiWwA8-nYwchxPzpO-D4FKQEc4iRT1bA0OZPj9qge4uE-ff1kDpdpCctN8JKtv6AVUxCd6hu1E_1_5kXL6yfxCPKW6gV0XdMCl04e5ZWUgnMz4-07OIsZuxcBigcBs78r-z1SrRUzhzv7iBH6c78-ZEOGRTAKHf1Xq7Y6md9Ojf_apgWBp2OrTf3KzgAxTiAPnK4BX17YjD27-cfNQ59aMldfGTG11G8mR4NAe5qkWxLkksRycFYpwJ8GzVavtHPF0Yoi3_4TlM0dWLdwgGehMDjtvHHwXavZ0DHupmO0jWqh1TI5EjfJXeNyQhBegT0myQWzKIEbuvGKuUefct0v-W4J66ho17DFswtsC6O2TPxOZ8CSRoWNyNn4hyiqvS6jcy3xF9YwIskOYnUNfqFwARPlMuecSsBmbWwfw9iQ9I3SRUiy-ngJLsTMjnSxmumuwtWULxEC-tFh_GQsxEp7IodPlHqi2LokA4EIiBR6CEohD8zTYLxPko0Bv-amdpUrfngAnTuT2GR-NfXwjFLzefKhHbLgZCQqzA8CmApEZZSEoDVurunjfywTFvZS9Sd7Bu_qHJZrreqhYu4vESOaYA6yifzdOqXcp6=w914-h617-no

I've ran almost all the brands out there and seemed to always come back to the Toyo and the BFG's. Lately with the price increase I tried out a knock off brand called Venom Power. So far so good and for the price I am happy...

Wrongside

WKR
The OP links to the Toyo ATII. It isn't the latest AT from Toyo, but was a good tire. The current TOYO ATIII is a fantastic tire, IME/O. Better in snow, mud and on wet roads.

ArkLaTex

FNG
Has anyone tried the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT? We have been getting great mileage out of them.

deadwolf

WKR
I’ll also submit that the Yokohama geolander gets some really good reviews but hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I’ll also submit that the Yokohama geolander gets some really good reviews but hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve heard it is soft for an E rated trie.

tdhanses

WKR
Got the Pro Comp’s mounted, 1CE566A3-9B6F-4CB8-8E8D-3F8AA3106A37.jpegA45B6E90-D16D-410E-A832-FC2965CC69EF.jpeg24C9EDDF-19BA-47C1-995D-C54E44588139.jpeglug spacing is wider then i expected from online pics, only have 10 miles on them but very quiet on the road.

OP
Where's Bruce?
The OP links to the Toyo ATII. It isn't the latest AT from Toyo, but was a good tire. The current TOYO ATIII is a fantastic tire, IME/O. Better in snow, mud and on wet roads.
Agreed, decided on the Toyo ATIIIs.

I had the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and had one separate, bulge and nearly blow if I hadn't have caught it while getting fuel. Once we looked at the others two of them were on the same track. I put Toyo R/T's on to try them out, not really enough miles to have a strong opinion but they don't tow as well as I thought, softer sidewall or something. Prior to the Nitto's I had the Goodyear duratracs and those were the best all around tire I have used. I'm 50/50 highway and gravel for my use.

jroot327

FNG
Has anyone tried the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT? We have been getting great mileage out of them.
I have them on my RAM 1500 right now. I have about 35k miles with a ton of tread left. I also had them off-road in WY for a mule deer hunt after 2 days of rain in the high desert, and they performed way better than expected. Never got stuck and kept trucking along. As long as they make these tires I'll buy them. The best road manners out of a tire that performs off-road that I've seen.

GotDraw?

WKR
So when selecting offroad tires I always get hybrid ATs for my Ram 1500 shortbed. Been buying Toyo Xtremes and now looking at it's sister company Nitto. My tires are 35X12.50R18s and now Nitto has produced comparable (made at the same plant) in the same size. The Recon & ATX have caught my eye. Comes with a 55,000 warranty whereas my Xtremes came a 50,000 warranty. When I saw this: https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at2/
The 65,000 mile warranty caught my eye. I'm pretty sure all these tires are overkill for my needs but some of the places I find myself in the backcountry are crazy rugged and I want lots of sidewall protection and deep, self-clearing tread.
I'd be interested in feedback on quality all terrain tires from those personally experienced with them on and off-road.
Your thought? Is there anything better?

View attachment 465000

OP-
You might be best served to ask VERY specific questions about your intended use-case and stack rank your needs so that you get very specific answers that precisely address your expectations.

I understand you want sidewall protection. Since you will not find High Mileage, Comfortable Ride, 10 ply rated, Low Noise, Rain, Snow, Ice, Mud, Street, Sand, all in one tire-- what SPECIFIC features are most important to you and WHY?

This will help folks evaluate and share what they know against what you need.

JL