338 Suppressor recommendation/education needed

I’m looking to suppress my 33SM so I’m curious if anyone out there is suppressing a 33Nos, 340Wby, or similar capacity 338. What’s your barrel length and what features are most important in a big bore suppressor?

Plan is to cut my braked barrel from 24 to 20 or 22” and I’d like to find a can with a 6” length. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of 338 capable suppressors that are short.

A 6" 338 muffler is gonna suck big time compared to larger options but will be better than nothing. I have a TBAC 338 Ultra and it's awesome but the length isn't for everybody.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have the Silencerco 36M. It works on my 338 Lap just fine. I do have a 26 inch barrel but a shorter barrel should be fine. The Website recommendeds a barrel length but it was like 18 if I recall.
I like it as it is modular, I can make it shorter and mount it on a 22 LR ect.

Longest length 6.85 inches.

Check out AB Suppressors. I have a 10 baffle on my 338 win mag and will use it on my 33 Nosler once I can find the right powder for loads. You can get the suppressor in many different sizes. They're quite a bit lighter and adds far less length than most other 338 cans. Beware that in the fine print, AB says the suppressor needs to have 24" minimum barrel length and 3" reflex attachment on 338 magnum rifles; though I think that pertains to cartridges like 338 Lapua, RUM, and Edge . . . 338 cartridges more commonly suppressed. So I think shorter and without the relfex would be fine with a cartridge using signicantly less powder. My 338 win mag is 20" and I use a 3" reflex. It's very accurate with stupid easy recoil.

Geewhiz

WKR
A 6" 338 muffler is gonna suck big time compared to larger options but will be better than nothing. I have a TBAC 338 Ultra and it's awesome but the length isn't for everybody.
Ive got the same one and its super bad ass.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Check out AB Suppressors. I have a 10 baffle on my 338 win mag and will use it on my 33 Nosler once I can find the right powder for loads. You can get the suppressor in many different sizes. They're quite a bit lighter and adds far less length than most other 338 cans. Beware that in the fine print, AB says the suppressor needs to have 24" minimum barrel length and 3" reflex attachment on 338 magnum rifles; though I think that pertains to cartridges like 338 Lapua, RUM, and Edge . . . 338 cartridges more commonly suppressed. So I think shorter and without the relfex would be fine with a cartridge using signicantly less powder. My 338 win mag is 20" and I use a 3" reflex. It's very accurate with stupid easy recoil.
I have been thinking of doing the same to my 338 win mag - what is the weight of your setup?
Any chance you can post a pic next to a rifle with a standard length barrel 🙂

I have been thinking of doing the same to my 338 win mag - what is the weight of your setup?
Any chance you can post a pic next to a rifle with a standard length barrel 🙂
About 8.5 lbs total if I recall correctly.

I don't have a photo of the WM, but this photo is the 33 Nosler with the same suppressor. It has 22" barrel. The total weight of this is just over 9 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

B23

WKR
My 338 can is a SAS Vengeance. It's a very good 338 suppressor but with regard to suppression it's not in the same league as the TBAC 338 Ultra suppressor, I don't think any 338 can is.

The TBAC 338 Ultra is about the lightest, strongest, and quietest 338 suppressor on the market. It's also one of the most expensive but like most top notch things, they generally cost more. If someone is in the market for a 338 suppressor and you can get past the price you'll be rewarded with a top of the line can.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 338 WM Mountain Rifle with a 26" non braked barrel and it weighs 8lbs with everything. I've never had any issues in and out of a scabbard, backpack, hand carry through the brush, etc. Brakes are louder than hell and suppressors are ridiculous and add non needed weight to the rifle IMO. I wear Sonic self closing earplugs so I never hear anything after the shot.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Diligent Defense Co has a 338 can that was designed for 8.6 Blk, but is rated for the bigger magnum stuff. I think they did testing with 338 Lapua. It’s a very efficient design, so it’s very quiet for its size, but perhaps not as quiet as the TBAC. Might be worth checking out.

If I ever get a 338 suppressor
It will probably be the CGS Hekate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am waiting on a Rugged Alaskan 360. You can swap out the end caps with .223 .30 and .360 if you want to. In talking with the folks at Rugged last time I stopped by there, they are planning on making a .338 end cap as well. You can use it direct thread or with their QD mount. It is 9.4 ounces in the DT configuration (without the Rugged Universal Mount) or 11.8 oz with the R.U.M., so that means a bit over 10 ounces in DT config and around 13 oz in the QD config (with muzzle device).
Overall a good option for larger bore rifles.