338 RPM success

Nontyp

FNG
I received my 338 about a month ago and plan on finishing sighting it in as soon as my CDS arrives. I’ve shot about a box through it and it likes the 225gr TTSX better than the Accubonds. I bought the gun for my AK gun as it will also fit in my bow box. I shot it at 400 yd twice with one hit but we had 15 mph winds. I’m looking forward to getting a little more time in with it.
I’m heading to hunt Aoudad in 2 weeks in Tx. Has anyone killed something with the 338 RPM yet? How was the performance?

BAKPAKR

WKR
Which model did you get? I recently passed on bidding on a Backcountry 2.0 because I just wasn’t sure I would like that short barrel. What kind of groups are the TTSXs and Accubonds giving you?

amassi

WKR
Well the 338 win mag and 338-06 have been killing stuff for 70 years so I suppose you'll be fine.

OP
N

Nontyp

FNG
I got the 18” barrel. It is very light but it handles well. I got about a 1.25” group with the accubond and about 3/4” with the TTSX. The TTSX shot about 1.5 at 200. I’m going to shoot it here at the house off the sled this weekend at 100 so maybe I can tighten up the groups. I was thinking about not getting it due to the light weight but it really is not bad with the break and the pad.

gerry35

WKR
Really nice, congratulations! Thought hard about that exact gun but in left hand. Going to wait for the 308 version myself. It should be a dead ringer for a normal length barrel 35 Whelen (have a nice one) with that 18" barrel. That's one reason I passed on it but Weatherby sure is making some nice rifles and that 338 RPM is a very useful big game cartridge.

Last edited:

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of the .338 RPM with a short barrel but haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. I have a Silencerco 36M that would be great for one and am still deciding between the steel or CF barrel version to go with the 36M.

gerry35

WKR
I watch the Weatherby podcast and Adam Weatherby sure loves the 20" carbon version. If i remember correctly he gets just over 3000 fps with the 185 gr factory load. not sure what the speed is for the 225's. Either way both the 18 and 20 are nice guns.
I like the idea of the .338 RPM with a short barrel but haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. I have a Silencerco 36M that would be great for one and am still deciding between the steel or CF barrel version to go with the 36M.

I really like mine - taking it to Idaho this fall for a elk, deer and bear combo hunt. I have a Silencerco Hybrid 46 on mine barrel plus suppressor is 24 inches. My 100 yard sight in group with Interlock bullets was three rounds through one ragged hole off sandbags. I shot it once without the brake or suppressor and the recoil isn’t bad at all - the Peak 44 stock and the pad really do slow down and absorb a lot of the recoil so it’s more of a push than a punch. My 300 Win Mag is worse off the bench. The whole rig, with scope, sling, suppressor and ammo is just over 7.5 lbs.

OP
N

Nontyp

FNG
I used it this fall on my WY elk at 25 yds in addition to the auodad earlier this yr. We were in the dark timber running down a pair of bullls with some cows. The bulls started fighting so we ran in quickly and I got the shot.

Attachments

• IMG_4086.jpeg
    IMG_4086.jpeg
    655.4 KB · Views: 32