325 WSM?

OP
AlbertaFisher
What barrel did you go with and who is doing your install?
Corlane outta Dawson Creek is going to be doing the reaming and install. The 8mm barrel blank is KS Arms out of Edmonton I believe. Since you’re also Western Canada and regret selling your old one, 100% recommend Corlane so far. They can do really anything you’re looking for. But, I will provide a final post when it’s all done, as not much recent info is on this lost beauty of a calibre

gerry35

WKR
Corlane outta Dawson Creek is going to be doing the reaming and install. The 8mm barrel blank is KS Arms out of Edmonton I believe. Since you’re also Western Canada and regret selling your old one, 100% recommend Corlane so far. They can do really anything you’re looking for. But, I will provide a final post when it’s all done, as not much recent info is on this lost beauty of a calibre
I would love to find a Browning BLR one day but not opposed to getting another barrel for my Tikka and getting vise and wrench to swap out the barrels.
Corlanes has done a lot of work for me over the years and I like them too. Latest was an 8 twist KS Arms barrel for my 6.8 Western build. The barrel shoots well so I'm sure you'll be happy with your 325 when it's done. Great round that should have done better.

OP
AlbertaFisher
I would love to find a Browning BLR one day but not opposed to getting another barrel for my Tikka and getting vise and wrench to swap out the barrels.
Corlanes has done a lot of work for me over the years and I like them too. Latest was an 8 twist KS Arms barrel for my 6.8 Western build. The barrel shoots well so I'm sure you'll be happy with your 325 when it's done. Great round that should have done better.
I’ve seen a few on town post over the last year, so I’m sure you could find one. I was just interested in building it onto my tikka platform already since I love what I got.

Edit: there’s actually one right now on town post in Stony Plain for $1600

gerry35

WKR
I saw a BLR for $900 a couple of years ago but couldn't swing it. Wish I could have bought it at the time. One day it will all line up or maybe I'll find my old left hand A Bolt again.

gerry35

WKR
When you first posted up this thread I mentioned the 160 gr TTSX and still think it's a great option but there are lots of other bullets you can try, even from some of the European manufacturers. What do you think you'll try first and do you have a line on brass? Corlanes builds a bunch of them so they probably have what you need.

OP
AlbertaFisher
When you first posted up this thread I mentioned the 160 gr TTSX and still think it's a great option but there are lots of other bullets you can try, even from some of the European manufacturers. What do you think you'll try first and do you have a line on brass? Corlanes builds a bunch of them so they probably have what you need.
I’ll keep my eye open and if I see something I’ll shoot you a PM!

I’m going to try the Hammer Hunter 198gn first and foremost, looking at using H4350, WLRM primers, and work a load from that. I think I’m also going to give the 160ttsx a try as per your recommendation. Both I think would be great but I do want to lean towards the little heavier bullets. Thoughts?
No brass at the moment. Corlane has a bunch of factory ammo, so I’ll buy 2-3 boxes next time I’m there and use the brass from those for the foreseeable future.

gerry35

WKR
Heard lots of good things about the Hammer's so it will be interesting what you come up with. You definitely have lots of good options to try out.

ldmay375

FNG
I am a fan of the cartridge. I have not killed anything with one. I carried a Kimber Montana on one moose hunt but no shots were fired. I have not hand loaded for mine. I used DoubleTap's 200 grain TSX in 2 Kimber Montana rifles and both seemed to group well at 100 yards. I do have all the makings for hand loading for it. Eventually, I will get back to it.

I do really like the cartridge. I had the barrels of a Kimber Montana and stainless Winchester M70 classic cut to ~ 22.5". The Kimber makes for a reasonably lightweight little rifle in my opinion. I will likely stick with the 200 TSX. I have a pretty large supply of those on hand. For the distances that I would be shooting a .400'ish bc at 2800-2900 will not be any noticeable disadvantage.

OP
AlbertaFisher
Thanks idmay! It’s sad that this cartridge has flopped as it seems like a fantastic option I know people say the 300wsm is better, but I think that’s the 30 cal bias playing in. Maybe I’m wrong though. I think if it’s used inside of 500m it’s a damn fine cartridge for anything I’d need. Plus enough of a “hammer” for grizz protection at mid-close distance

OP
AlbertaFisher
I have a browning 325 wsm that shoots 200gr hammers in a clover leaf at 100 yards. In general it is a pretty good shooter but really loves the hammers. 200gr accubonds around moa. I don't hand load so that is really the downfall for me. I get hand loads from Hendershots in MD that perform. Around a year ago, I saw Winchester 200gr accubonds came available at midway USA.

On my moose hunt last September I was all geared up to dial to 500 if necessary with my NX8. Ended up shooting my moose at 65 yards frontal. The hammer blew up the heart and lungs, went through the entire body cavity, blew through the pelvic bone and the shank exited via a small hole in rump. Never found the petals. Moose didn't run 10 feet, basically one bound and piled up dead in 2 seconds no kicking or twitching.
What was your load recipe for the hammer bullets? I’d ideally want a temp insensitive powder like H4350.

Cyril

FNG
What was your load recipe for the hammer bullets? I’d ideally want a temp insensitive powder like H4350.
Not sure. Hendershots loaded them. Shot great and I never looked back because o don't loae myself. Bought 10 boxes and parked them in the safe.

ldmay375

FNG
I have a browning 325 wsm that shoots 200gr hammers in a clover leaf at 100 yards. In general it is a pretty good shooter but really loves the hammers. 200gr accubonds around moa. I don't hand load so that is really the downfall for me. I get hand loads from Hendershots in MD that perform. Around a year ago, I saw Winchester 200gr accubonds came available at midway USA.

On my moose hunt last September I was all geared up to dial to 500 if necessary with my NX8. Ended up shooting my moose at 65 yards frontal. The hammer blew up the heart and lungs, went through the entire body cavity, blew through the pelvic bone and the shank exited via a small hole in rump. Never found the petals. Moose didn't run 10 feet, basically one bound and piled up dead in 2 seconds no kicking or twitching.
The Hammers are definitely in top of the class of terminal performance. Were I not prior heavily invested in the 8mm 200 grain TSX, I would certainly purchase some. I have some of their .358's & .458's. I may anyway, in time.

ldmay375

FNG
I kind of like that 8mm Winchester fits nicely in between the 300 & 338 Winchesters, particularly for 300 yards and less. I am definitely a 338 Winchester fan also. I am somewhat lukewarm on 300 magnums. No particular reason, they definitely perform. The .308 & .338 higher bc offerings don't have much influence on my moose shooting distances. Heck, I normally use a 375 or 416.

I am also fond of the WSM cartridges. Though, I did not take that plunge until Kimber came out with the 325 in the Montana. I had been an 8mm fan, though never owned one until the 325.