308 Winchester CFE Black for Subsonic Loads

SwiftShot

WKR
Looking at doing up some Subsonic loads for my 308 Winchester. Well Trailboss powder is still impossible to find. So started looking around for other options. I have seen you can do it with H110 as well. So I started thinking, H110 is often used for 300 Blackout, those are the velocities I am looking for in subsonics so why not look at those powders. So that got me thinking CFE Black might work. So has anyone tried it, what are the spreads ect.

Not sure about CFE Black, but there are some options outside of Trail Boss. If you do a Google search for "Hodgdon Subsonic" you'll find a chart that they put out with various loads. It lists loads for the 308 with H322, BM2, and H4895 and the Hornady 190 grn Sub-X bullet.

dwills

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wanting to do the same but can’t find any powders available

My Google Fu has lead me to 8.0 grains of TiteGroup with 168 grain bullets.

Funny....I logged on to specifically post the same topic. I may try it in a few minutes. I'll either post what I find. Or not post, as I am missing fingers, limbs and eyes.

Bluefish

WKR
Might try 2400. I used it successfully for a subsonic 45-70 load. I have quick load and can run some powders if you have a few on hand.

OP
SwiftShot

SwiftShot

WKR
My Google Fu has lead me to 8.0 grains of TiteGroup with 168 grain bullets.

Funny....I logged on to specifically post the same topic. I may try it in a few minutes. I'll either post what I find. Or not post, as I am missing fingers, limbs and eyes.
I picked up quick load and it lets me work up loads. With the powders I have 2495 with 190 Hornady Subsonic 15.8 grains. That gives me 1065 FPS. Works really nice.

Well....my test of 8.0 TiteGroup and a 168 Amax did not go well. Seemed to shoot ok. But my SFAR is LOCKED up. Like beyond my skill level to remove the stuck case. Like go back to the factory and pull a barrel (hopefully).

That escalated quickly!

TxLite

WKR
Well....my test of 8.0 TiteGroup and a 168 Amax did not go well. Seemed to shoot ok. But my SFAR is LOCKED up. Like beyond my skill level to remove the stuck case. Like go back to the factory and pull a barrel (hopefully).

That escalated quickly!
Glad you didn’t get injured. Sucks the rifle is locked up though. Are you able to use a cleaning rod to tap it out while pulling the charging handle? Mortaring has worked for me in the past but that was with a general jam. I haven’t locked one up due to pressure before

OP
SwiftShot

SwiftShot

WKR

That escalated quickly!
A brass rod should pop it out pretty easy. Brass rod is 12 buck at ACE.

Yea....NO. She's Fukt. Had a carbon arrow I cut to fit. Several attempts. No joy. Can the the lugs are engauged pretty evenly.

Rubber mallet on a charging handle was no good either.