308 w/155 gr TMKs?

D Lee

FNG
In my Waypoint Carbon .308 Win - 168 gr TMKs shoot 1 ragged hole. Typically DRT on GA deer.

Have purchased a box of 155 gr. Anyone have any experience with this lighter TMK - 308 or 30-06?

Thanks.

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
13gr won't make a bit of difference in a 308 at 308 ranges for game. if it shoots good, great but you already have a shooter regardless.
True Paco. While I have TREMDOUS faith in this rifle - the .308 cartridge wasn't blessed with much "extra" speed. Since this is for Deer only - thought I might add a few FPS and maybe a bit more expansion to go along with the speed gain??

Thanks.

Cheers.

180ls1

WKR
True Paco. While I have TREMDOUS faith in this rifle - the .308 cartridge wasn't blessed with much "extra" speed. Since this is for Deer only - thought I might add a few FPS and maybe a bit more expansion to go along with the speed gain??

Thanks.

Cheers.

Gosh, if I had a 1 hole gun that left most everything DRT I wouldn't touch a thing.

Thanks.

Cheers.
The 308 has been killing things and people for a lot of years at its “speed”. What you could look at for reference is any of the caliber kill threads when people use a lighter for caliber bullets as that is what you would be doing. The 77g 223 is so devastating because of its design and it’s a heavy for caliber bullet where as the 69g tmk does not perform quite as well, despite possibly running faster. You don’t necessarily need speed to be a killer but you DO need to know your system and its limitations.

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
180ls1 & Charlie.......well said and 100% correct. Thank You both.

While I don't "need" the little bit of extra speed out'a the 155 gr, I thought for Deer it might / maybe (??) have some advantage. And, I have a lot of faith in the TMK bullet for its accuracy and terminal performance in this particular rifle. The 2020 Waypoint has already exceeded all expectations.

Maybe I should just let well enough alone!! IF the 155 doesn't work out...the 168 it shall be!!!

Thank you again Gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
If your gun shoots the 168 well its not worth working up another load. The 175tmk just works for a wide range of terminal speeds and has a BC that makes wind calls doable. I havn't worked up a 168 load because there was no need.

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
If your gun shoots the 168 well its not worth working up another load. The 175tmk just works for a wide range of terminal speeds and has a BC that makes wind calls doable. I havn't worked up a 168 load because there was no need.
Thank you.

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
Thank you.
L-O-N-G (disappointing) afternoon at the range today with the 155's. Extremely Hot & Humid. Took my time between rounds making sure the barrel cooled. Careful behind the trigger, every round. Got settled...made sure. Staying inside the Sierra Manual recommendations...Varget with 4 loads. 3 loads...no-go. The last load...primers showed a touch of pressure...1 MOA. OK...but definitely not what this rifle is capable of.

I may (may not) try again with the 155s? For sure though...next trip to the range will be with the 168's. My 1 Varget load...well under .3 MOA already proven / confirmed. Down the road, will definitely pick up a box of 175s...just for comparisons sake.

Thanks everyone...very much appreciate the input.

Cheers.

Vern400

WKR
I have a 308 that likes 150 better
I have another 308 that likes 165/168 better.
I let them talk to me. I don't try to force feed them. I have found a few bullets that work well in most rifles. But I've never found one size fits all. Picking the bullet that YOU want to shoot without consulting your rifle can be a frustrating road.

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
Hey Vern...

IMHO...your post should be cast in stone for all to read. Especially the last sentence. I will approach future range visits / load testing with a new mindset...more objectively...fewer expectations.

Thank you kindly.

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
h1,

Worth knowing. Thanks. 46.0 gr Varget - COAL @ 2.800 - was my last and BEST load tested. 5 rounds - 1 moa - best it could do. NOT a bad showing mind you.......may very well test that load again in an outside temp below 98 degrees where I don't have to see thru my sweat. :)

Cheers.

Bevo

FNG
I developed a load for 155gr Berger VLD from my 16" Tikka.

Peterson SRP
CCI BR2
45.6gr Ramshot TAC
2.9" COAL
2700 fps

If you're looking for a bigger speed difference then I'd recommend a 125gr bullet like the Nosler BT or Speer TNT. 48.6gr of 8208 gets me 3000 fps from a 16" barrel. It is my go-to round for hogs.

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
Bevo,

Duly noted. Thanks.

I've been immersed in rifles and cartridges for a VERY long time. This is my first .308 so I'm learning as I go. Being cautious with my reloads. 44.0 gr Varget with the 168 TMK in this rifle will drive tacks. Happy with that. All the other reloading is for comparison purposes as this Waypoint Carbon is becoming my "go to" rifle for just about everything. As I said, I'm learning about the .308 AND this rifle.

Cheers.

h1,

Worth knowing. Thanks. 46.0 gr Varget - COAL @ 2.800 - was my last and BEST load tested. 5 rounds - 1 moa - best it could do. NOT a bad showing mind you.......may very well test that load again in an outside temp below 98 degrees where I don't have to see thru my sweat. :)

Cheers.
I use the fan to blow on me on low. Keeps the glasses from fogging. I use the cordless blower with the clear tube to blow down the barrel after shots to cool the barrel. Both take my Milwaukee cordless drill batteries. The clear tube fits in the chamber perfectly. Shooting south FL is challenging in the summer but this keeps me cool and speeds up the shots. They make them for all kinds of cordless drill batteries. Ryobi’s are popular at my range
IMG_4041.jpegIMG_4040.jpeg

sdupontjr

WKR
I wonder what they do on game? The scenars are proven to kill deer. elk, moose, you name it on the 40+ page thread of "Deceased by Scenar" on another site.

The advertised BC:
155 TMK - .519
155 Scenar - .460
155 Berger - .464

The scenars print nice tiny holes in both my 308's. I wonder if the advertised BC is correct and if it would make a any considerable difference at distance?

OP
D

D Lee

FNG
Sorry sdupontjr...I have no idea. The more experienced reloaders on here may?

With the 155 TMKs, Varget was filling the case with my loads. Accuracy OK and primers looked OK but I'm not going to push it. Don't want to put the TMKs back on the shelf just yet. Built a Manual load with RL 15...see how the accuracy comes out? Hopeful.

Exchanged scopes with another rifle. The Waypoint now carries a Zeiss Conquest 4x16x44. Sighting in will be with the 168 TMKs. 44.0 Varget load proven. Added .5 gr for accuracy testing. That would be my personal Max. Will watch carefully.

As said before, I'm very much enjoying all this .308 work / load development. The rifle is a joy. 7 lbs, 13 oz all up!! Not all the time (my fault) but typically beating its .75 MOA guarantee. Learning as I go.

I very much appreciate all the help I've been given here. Thank you.

Cheers.