308 Reloading

Eldis

FNG
NEW to reloading. I do not have any equipment or anything so I'm sure I will be asking about that later. Someone I know is going to let me come to their place and see their set up. I told them I would do my best to bring my own materials to load while I am there learning. Going to be loading a 308 Sierra tgk 165 grain , Barnes TTSX 165 grain, or Hornady Interbond 165 grain. What are some good powders to pair with these? I don't know what powders are good or which ones are bad quality wise. Like I said new to all of this. Also, what kind of primers need to be used? Thanks for any help.

49ereric

WKR
I’m old school and use W748 and mag primer but the powder is heat sensitive and not in favor of many these days.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
From someone who’s been there, for the tgk’s be prepared to battle finicky seating depth. Invest in an ogive comparator for sure

sdupontjr

WKR
What will you be shooting with this setup? Reason I ask is varget is a unicorn here in south louiaiana and its just about impossible to find. TAC however, can be found at just about most shops. 308, TAC and the 130 ttsx is a deadly combo. I see you have the 165 ttsx listed, but you can drive the 130's faster and they hit like a lightening stike on deer and hogs.

OP
E

Eldis

FNG
What will you be shooting with this setup? Reason I ask is varget is a unicorn here in south louiaiana and its just about impossible to find. TAC however, can be found at just about most shops. 308, TAC and the 130 ttsx is a deadly combo. I see you have the 165 ttsx listed, but you can drive the 130's faster and they hit like a lightening stike on deer and hogs.
Mostly whitetail deer hunting. Maybe one day I’ll get a mule deer, antelope, or elk hunt lol! It will mostly be deer though. I’m in Arkansas. Powder is tough to come by here too. I have heard some people mention 125 tgk or 130 Barnes for deer. I currently hunt with a 30-06. Just personally never hunted deer with anything under a 150.

sdupontjr

WKR
Each gun will be slightly different, but if you do a search, the 130 ttsx in a 308 is a proven killer. Plus by running them close to 3000+ fps, they are very flat shooting out to 300 yards. Hey I was very skeptical until i tried them. I was alays a 150 - 165g in 308, until I loaded these. I also run the 155 lapua scenar under varget.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
Varget is my preferred 308 powder but can rarely find these days. Seems like every 308 I load for like loads on the hot side. With 168 amax I am always north of 44.4 grains. Hornady brass br2 primers. At 2.82 coal.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’m using 165 grain Accubonds with a full load of Varget. 2740 fps out of a 20” barrel.

I’m currently working up a load for 125 grain Accubonds and NBTs with Varget and Tac at around 3100 fps.

prm

WKR
If you want to shoot a mono, the 130 TTSX would be my choice. 155 Lapua Scenars will work very well too. They are great for hunting (antelope through elk) and target shooting. So many great options with the 308.

OP
E

Eldis

FNG
Each gun will be slightly different, but if you do a search, the 130 ttsx in a 308 is a proven killer. Plus by running them close to 3000+ fps, they are very flat shooting out to 300 yards. Hey I was very skeptical until i tried them. I was alays a 150 - 165g in 308, until I loaded these. I also run the 155 lapua scenar under varget.
I see. You are not the first person who has mentioned that. Have you used Sierra TGKs in 125gr? That’s another on that I have heard about.

sdupontjr

WKR
I see. You are not the first person who has mentioned that. Have you used Sierra TGKs in 125gr? That’s another on that I have heard about.
Sure haven't.
I’m currently working up a load for 125 grain Accubonds and NBTs with Varget and Tac at around 3100 fps.
I'd like to here your findings on the 125's AB. I was actually looking for these when I ran across the 130's. THus I couldn't the 125's and settled on the TTSX's

N2TRKYS

WKR
Sure haven't.

I'd like to here your findings on the 125's AB. I was actually looking for these when I ran across the 130's. THus I couldn't the 125's and settled on the TTSX's

I haven’t shot anything with them. I’m hoping to get it dialed in before the rut gets going. I’ll report back when I kill one with them.

hunting1

WKR
I loaded 125 NAB/NBT for my kids when they were starting out. They killed antelope, deer, and elk. The elk was recovered on the hide with 85 grs remaining if memory serves. They all dropped in their tracks. The NBT and NAB shoot almost identical with Varget.

OP
E

Eldis

FNG
You have killed whitetail out to 300 yards with this? Even when taking them close the damage is there?