308 factory loads for whitetail

I prefer the 180 grain core lokts as far as off the shelf of the local Wally World ammo goes. I can usually find them cheap and plentiful there. They hammer the shoulders of white tails at the distances we shoot here in Tennessee.

Barnes 168 grain TTSX are not only very accurate but deadly out of my older Browning A-Bolt. My grandson shoots 150 grain Core Lokts out of his Tikka T3x and has been pleased.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed a bunch of deer with the Winchester Deer Season XP 150grs and all have either been DRT or ran less than 25yds. I've also had really good results with Ferderal Fusion and Norma whitetail.

Reload 150 accubonds out of my 308 . Factory if yours shoots fusions i wouldnt be afraid to use on elk .

Wolfshead

FNG
I love accbonds on everything over 2800 fps. Tikka's are very accurate rifles and I also think 150 gr fusions would work great in a 308
My handloads are 150 grain Accubonds with 46 grains Varget and are very accurate and work very well on whitetails.
Unfortunately NY is probably going non-lead on state lands soon and I do a bunch of public hunting so I’ve been playing around with 130 grain ttsx

btmonnat

FNG
My handloads are 150 grain Accubonds with 46 grains Varget and are very accurate and work very well on whitetails.
Unfortunately NY is probably going non-lead on state lands soon and I do a bunch of public hunting so I’ve been playing around with 130 grain ttsx
Been reloading for 51 years and tried Varget as soon as it was released to reloaders and have found that it works great in any caiber that uses the 308 case and I have them all. 2- 7mm-08's and one of them is a Browning auto which seems amazingly accurate for an auto

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve owned a ton of 308s over the years. And have a handful of them now. 168ttsx are my go to, most of the rifles I own prefer them. They have worked great for me on game from 90-460yds. I’ve tried a few lead options over the years. The ones I’ve had the best luck with are the win silver tip 168s and hornady superformance 150sst. If you have good luck with something and the gun likes it. No reason to change it.

Longplay

FNG
Shoot some different flavors and pick what works best. Those Fusions are great if your rifle likes them.
Second this. No reason the spend $2.50-$3 a round for top shelf stuff if your rifle likes fusions. Confidence in what works in the rifle is important.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
150 Core-Lokt. My 760 Remington loves them and that rifle is 60 plus years old. 18 inch barrel and as accurate now as it was when I was taught to shoot it in the late 70s. She hates 180s and 150 pointed soft points are all my dad or I ever used in it.

Tex68w

WKR
I've been using 150gr Fusion this season on whitetail and pigs with great success. While it's not exactly cheap at $35/box, it's not what I'd call pricey either. I plan to take the same rifle to Colorado in the fall for Elk but I'll mostly likely be stepping up to 168's for that hunt.

nosajnh

FNG
There are a ton of loads that will do the job. The last deer I shot with a .308 was during covid and all that I could find were 150 gn. federal powershoks. I hit the deer in the shoulder at 115 yds from a stand, knocking it down. It ran off , we waited about 30 min. and then tracked it for 70 yds where we found it down but still alive but not able to hold it's head up. The blood trail was sparse and there was no pass through, the bullet fragmented inside and I did not recover any pieces of the bullet. I would not use these bullets again.

slowr1der

FNG
Yep, the Fusions are excellent. They'd probably be my choice if I had to shoot factory ammo. Really any sp bullet will work well though.

I've killed a bunch of deer and pigs over the years with the regular Federal PowerShok 150 grain. My rifles like them in both 308 and 270 and they've always worked well.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Fusions are great. Federal non typical works too, as does Corelokt.

In my 18" Ruger I can get 2800 fps out of 150gr super performance SSTs, so that's my pick for big open fields with long shots.

ejc204

FNG
I would stick with something you know you can easily get off the shelf in a store if you don’t reload. Which what you’re using and just about everything mentioned here in the responses are.