308 bullets for black bear

Jt89

FNG
Cleaning your rifle is also less of an issue than we are taught.

If your 10 round groups look similar, providing you aren't shooting 2moa donuts around point of aim I'd pick whatever expands well at the velocity and range you need and get stuck in.

OP
B
Any nice soft bullet like an Eld- Murder. And shoot it in the middle of the middle. NOT hugging or in the shoulder. They die very easy. Soft target.
Middle of the middle is subjective. Most people aim behind the shoulder as Tyler freel in AK has said to do and has shot 3-4 dump truck loads of bears. From what I hear you want to go middle of the middle north and south the 3-4 inches from the shoulder

Seeknelk

WKR
Middle of the middle is subjective. Most people aim behind the shoulder as Tyler freel in AK has said to do and has shot 3-4 dump truck loads of bears. From what I hear you want to go middle of the middle north and south the 3-4 inches from the shoulder
Right. Just that people are so afraid of hitting guts that they tend to shoot forward and often a bit high, with bad results. And the ones they thought they gut shot die in seconds.

OP
B
Right. Just that people are so afraid of hitting guts that they tend to shoot forward and often a bit high, with bad results. And the ones they thought they gut shot die in seconds.
When I shot my bear I did “middle of the middle” and hit some lung, liver and probably some guts too, bear went 75yards and died. This year I’ll be aiming 3-5 inches off the shoulder like this picture below

Attachments

• IMG_0289.png
    IMG_0289.png
    787.7 KB · Views: 13

Shifty11

FNG
For factory ammo on black bears out to 400 yards with a 308win, seems like any decent 150-165ish grn bullet should be fine. ELDX, ELDM, Accubond, SST, GameChanger, Partition, Nos BT, etc etc. Bears are pretty soft, just aim for "middle of the middle". I wouldn't over think it. Find which is most accurate out of your rig and run with it.

Bears are soft, but there are a couple caveats:

1. Their bones seems to be more stout than other game. I don't think I would risk a front shoulder shot.
  2. The lungs are smaller. Aim small miss small.
  3. They don't bleed much. A bullet that will wreck havoc in the body cavity and have the largest exit hole would be ideal.