308 bullets for black bear

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had no idea, I thought it meant if there was any trace of lead, guess I’ll be running partitions
Partitions are 100% fine. What you shouldn’t do, is attach a sealed centerfire can to a rimfire rifle and shoot a bunch of cheap ammo through it.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It is not advisable to shoot non-jacketed lead bullets through a suppressor. Jacketed lead bullets are 100% fine. I even shoot powder coated cast lead bullets through cans, no big deal.

Yoteassasin

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed a few with 165s and 150s I liked the non tipped 150s best .. but now I shoot 137hammers . I like them better . Seeing an over 20 bears get killed I've never seen a bear get away on anything but a poor shot . I've said it before and I'll say it till I'm blue in the face . Every single bear I've heard of that ran off was shot too high their vitals are looooow so shoot low .

MDT31

FNG
I would advise you to consider a Partition-style bullet for your .308, as they expand more reliably at lower velocities, ensuring a larger exit wound and a cleaner harvest.(y)

OP
B
Read y’all’s advice about using a bonded bullet and contacted some manufacturers. Picked up some terminal ascents, nosler accubonds and went to compare with my ttsx. Scope is obviously not zeroed but was quite interested with the results. Federal ammunition told me the terminal ascent is a “better” bullet than the accubond, and I was really hoping the terminal ascent was going to be the bullet for this gun. However, as you can see the TA’s didn’t group as well as the accubonds. I was rather impressed with the grouping on the noslers, however I was disappointed that one of the bullets was defective from the factory, had a nick in the neck and wouldn’t allow my bolt to close(only 1 out of 20, about 6 shots in). I’m heavily considering using the accubond but was curious with how everyone’s close range performance on game is with these?

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0215.jpeg
    IMG_0215.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 17

Jt89

FNG
Read y’all’s advice about using a bonded bullet and contacted some manufacturers. Picked up some terminal ascents, nosler accubonds and went to compare with my ttsx. Scope is obviously not zeroed but was quite interested with the results. Federal ammunition told me the terminal ascent is a “better” bullet than the accubond, and I was really hoping the terminal ascent was going to be the bullet for this gun. However, as you can see the TA’s didn’t group as well as the accubonds. I was rather impressed with the grouping on the noslers, however I was disappointed that one of the bullets was defective from the factory, had a nick in the neck and wouldn’t allow my bolt to close(only 1 out of 20, about 6 shots in). I’m heavily considering using the accubond but was curious with how everyone’s close range performance on game is with these?
Shoot bigger groups. You'll get roasted on here for group size smaller than 10...

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
Berger VLD hunters. Weve shot close to 20 bears with em out of 30/06, 270, 6.5, 300wsm and the majority of them didnt go 10yds. The farthest track job was around 50yds. Most of the shots were 15-250 yards. Dont need to worry about a blood trail if they drop on the spot.

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
The 165 Accubond is an excellent bullet out of the 308. Looks like it’s shoots well.

Jt89

FNG
Ahh it’ll be ok
Probably.
What I should have said was: It's a well established understanding on this forum and elsewhere that a group size of 3, 4, 5 is not really indicative of accuracy. Groups of 10 begin to show exactly how accurate a load is, groups of 20-30 are currently accepted as best practice. The 3 shot group is nothing but marketeering wank to sell rifles and almost no factory rifle off the shelf can produce a sub minute 30 shot group. Most are more like 1.5moa with a competent shooter.

It's entirely possible that your Federal Terminal Ascents are as accurate or nearly as accurate as the Nosler Accubonds, however with a small sample size of 3 you may possibly have shot the worst one load will do side by side with the best the other will do. You won't ever know unless you shoot more.

I didn't elaborate at first because I picked you for a guy who might not want to hear it, if that's the case sorry for gettin' preachy. If not, you're welcome.

Seeknelk

WKR
Any nice soft bullet like an Eld- Murder. And shoot it in the middle of the middle. NOT hugging or in the shoulder. They die very easy. Soft target.

OP
B
Probably.
What I should have said was: It's a well established understanding on this forum and elsewhere that a group size of 3, 4, 5 is not really indicative of accuracy. Groups of 10 begin to show exactly how accurate a load is, groups of 20-30 are currently accepted as best practice. The 3 shot group is nothing but marketeering wank to sell rifles and almost no factory rifle off the shelf can produce a sub minute 30 shot group. Most are more like 1.5moa with a competent shooter.

It's entirely possible that your Federal Terminal Ascents are as accurate or nearly as accurate as the Nosler Accubonds, however with a small sample size of 3 you may possibly have shot the worst one load will do side by side with the best the other will do. You won't ever know unless you shoot more.

I didn't elaborate at first because I picked you for a guy who might not want to hear it, if that's the case sorry for gettin' preachy. If not, you're welcome.
I don’t mind criticism, i was shooting 10 groups of each bullet in 3 round increments due to the suppressor getting hot and further heating my barrel. Each of the 10 groups of each bullet looked the same as the target I uploaded. The problem I didn’t know about was that I had been shooting copper out of this gun then going to terminal ascents and accubonds without cleaning the rifle. Prior to this year I was not a range shooter, I’d sight in for 100 and reverify zero before a big hunt or season and killed many animals doing it that way. However, I was shooting a 7mm rem with Tsx where it didn’t matter as much about expansion due to the high impact velocity and had previously killed a bear with that combo.